How did you choose/invent your user name?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 01:25 PM
RE: How did you choose/invent your user name?
ok weird longish story but I will try to keep it short.
Part 1
I am a huge Futurama fan.
My favourite character is Leela.
So many many moons ago I came on TTA and Leela was free so I used it here.
Part 2
I am transgender and whenever online things happen, I go by Robert or Rob (as long as my voice does not have to be heard).
Part 3
After I came out on this forum, it felt weird to keep a female name. I still like Leela (and actually in my closeted real life, I go by Leela) but I had it changed to Leerob to reflect me better after coming out on here.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Leerob's post
26-05-2017, 02:02 PM
"I see my kin hopping like some fish-frog things with their bulging, milky eyes... worshipping Dagon with their unholy rites."

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
26-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Got the nick "Thump" in the Air Force. One day one of the brothas giving me some ribbing gave it the Sesame Street treatment.

When I got on AOL eight or nine years later, I thought it would be cool because it seems more than a little ridiculous. It's been my Screenname at every site since then ... 2000, IIRC.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Harvey is not my real name. But Arve is. So just added an "H" in front of and a "y" at the end of my real name, and voila, I had something that every englishspeaker in the world would recognice as a name.

The avatar is Don Camillo, from the books written by Giovanni Guareschi. The TV-series made in the fifties was a perfectly casted and brilliantly acted coproduction between France and Italy, with the french commedian Fernandel as the catholic parish priest Don Camillo, and Gino Cervi as his protagonist, the communist mayor Peppone. I have the whold thing on DVD, with both italian and french speech. Fernandel was raised in the border region between France and Italy, and spoke both languages fluently.

To my horror I have noticed that the americans have made their own version of Don Camillo. How that could be anything but a disaster, I cannot imagine. Italy had the largest communist party outside the Soviet Union, so the stories by Guareschi make sense. How this can ble transplanted to an american reality, is completely unfathomable. Please stick to your western- and gangstermovies.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
[+] 4 users Like Harvey's post
26-05-2017, 04:16 PM
If you give me enough money, I will hop for you.

Actually, the real story is much cooler, but you've given me no money and no rep points, so I will remain silent. Smile

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
26-05-2017, 05:03 PM
<edit, wrong button>
26-05-2017, 05:11 PM
A band I discovered years ago around the same time I decided to embrace my atheism.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
26-05-2017, 05:13 PM
(26-05-2017 01:25 PM)Leerob Wrote:  ok weird longish story but I will try to keep it short.
Part 1
I am a huge Futurama fan.
My favourite character is Leela.
So many many moons ago I came on TTA and Leela was free so I used it here.
Part 2
I am transgender and whenever online things happen, I go by Robert or Rob (as long as my voice does not have to be heard).
Part 3
After I came out on this forum, it felt weird to keep a female name. I still like Leela (and actually in my closeted real life, I go by Leela) but I had it changed to Leerob to reflect me better after coming out on here.

I just noticed that your subtitle says 'Formally Known as Leela' instead of the usual 'Formerly Known as Leela'. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-05-2017, 05:28 PM
I've been using SYZYGY on a couple of other forums for maybe 13 years or so, but people invariably shortened it to SYZ so I thought, if you can't beat 'em etc.

It's a rather unique word (apart from its mathematical or astronomical connections) in that, obviously, it's one of the few English words that contains no vowels.

The word is invariably a winner at pub quiz nights—as per "fill in the 3 spaces": S _ Z _ G _

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
26-05-2017, 05:45 PM
My nickname comes from a character of the Dragonlance books, Sturm Brightblade. He is a sad and brooding character who acts following his own code (in his case a code of honor) no matter the circumstances, and who fears that one day he will fail it. When I read the books, I found myself a lot in this character, so I came up with this nickname naturally.
[+] 3 users Like Sturm's post