How did you choose/invent your user name?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 10:42 PM
RE: How did you choose/invent your user name?
It's just my first name

Don't Believe the Hype
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Walluin's post
26-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Many years ago, I was going through a weird phase where my brother and I would randomly add "value" to the end of words.

"Let's get some pizza-value!"

So when I got my first email account, I used Rob (what everyone calls me) and added the value. I've stuck with it ever since, using it wherever I go!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
27-05-2017, 12:10 AM
(26-05-2017 01:25 PM)Leerob Wrote:  ok weird longish story but I will try to keep it short.
Part 1
I am a huge Futurama fan.
My favourite character is Leela.
So many many moons ago I came on TTA and Leela was free so I used it here.
Part 2
I am transgender and whenever online things happen, I go by Robert or Rob (as long as my voice does not have to be heard).
Part 3
After I came out on this forum, it felt weird to keep a female name. I still like Leela (and actually in my closeted real life, I go by Leela) but I had it changed to Leerob to reflect me better after coming out on here.

> Excellent! Thumbsup

> I love Futurama. I have the entire series on DVD.
27-05-2017, 12:15 AM
(26-05-2017 09:45 AM)big green mouth Wrote:  I don't know. I wanted something different than my nick on AF.org, and it just sort of came to me in a flash.

> I must admit that your user name was the one I was most curious about before I started this discussion. Thanks for your input. Thumbsup
27-05-2017, 12:30 AM
(26-05-2017 09:47 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 07:12 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  My real name is Karl. Gwaithmir is one Sindarin translation of Karl.

I'm a lifelong student of Henry Thoreau's ideas (and a member of the Thoreau Society as well). That's the most consistent aspect of my life, and it led to all sorts of other adventures.

> I've always admired Thoreau, which may have partially influenced me to buy the rural, mountainside home where I have lived for over 40 years. Consider

> "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion." (Henry David Thoreau)
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
27-05-2017, 12:40 AM
(26-05-2017 05:28 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I've been using SYZYGY on a couple of other forums for maybe 13 years or so, but people invariably shortened it to SYZ so I thought, if you can't beat 'em etc.

It's a rather unique word (apart from its mathematical or astronomical connections) in that, obviously, it's one of the few English words that contains no vowels.

The word is invariably a winner at pub quiz nights—as per "fill in the 3 spaces": S _ Z _ G _

> Coincidently, "Syzygy" was my password at my former job. Consider
27-05-2017, 01:51 AM
That's probably why it is your former job Tongue Telling people passwords on forums!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
27-05-2017, 04:00 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2017 04:46 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(27-05-2017 12:30 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I've always admired Thoreau, which may have partially influenced me to buy the rural, mountainside home where I have lived for over 40 years. Consider

Since you live in Massachusetts, do you know any other Thoreau admirers?

I have always lived in the city, and have used my interest in Thoreau primarily as a foundation for my private studies -- which one scholar I met called "promiscuous reading."

“I was more independent than any farmer in Concord, for I was not anchored to a house or farm, but could follow the bent of my genius, which is a very crooked one, every moment.” — Henry Thoreau, Walden
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
27-05-2017, 04:53 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2017 05:02 AM by Gwaithmir.)
(27-05-2017 01:51 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  That's probably why it is your former job Tongue Telling people passwords on forums!

> Hah! That was about 16 years ago. I'm sure their entire computer network has been replaced long ago, as well as all the jerks who were responsible for laying me off. Fuck them and their passwords! Angry:

> Come to think of it, the guy in the office who handed me my pink slip was himself laid off in 2012. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
27-05-2017, 04:58 AM
(27-05-2017 04:00 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(27-05-2017 12:30 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I've always admired Thoreau, which may have partially influenced me to buy the rural, mountainside home where I have lived for over 40 years. Consider

Since you live in Massachusetts, do you know any other Thoreau admirers?

I have always lived in the city, and have used my interest in Thoreau primarily as a foundation for my private studies -- which one scholar I met called "promiscuous reading."

“I was more independent than any farmer in Concord, for I was not anchored to a house or farm, but could follow the bent of my genius, which is a very crooked one, every moment.” — Henry Thoreau, Walden

> Unfortunately, the only Thoreau admirer that I knew was a country bumpkin like myself and a fellow employee who I haven't seen or heard from in nearly two decades. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post