How did you choose/invent your user name?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2017, 07:44 AM
RE: How did you choose/invent your user name?
I like Monty Python, and I thought I would get something from that while having a religious reference.

Being a huge Rick and Morty fan, I would probably have a name like Rick C-137 if I chose a new name.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
28-05-2017, 07:51 AM
I was (and still am) into supernatural literature. Chinese literature in particular discusses the exorcism of ghosts. This coincided with a supernatural novel I was writing (and never finished) centered around the various past lives of the Maitreya Buddha, one of which was an immortal who used his magic powers to vanquish malevolent spirits.

(28-05-2017 07:44 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I like Monty Python, and I thought I would get something from that while having a religious reference.

I bet no one expected that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like ghostexorcist's post
28-05-2017, 09:18 AM
(27-05-2017 08:17 PM)Fireball Wrote:  ...but I picked Physics for a major because it was even more interesting. And I could be sure to get a job with it. It's been 34 years since I graduated university, and I never got back to linguistics.

Yay, another physicist (astrophysics here) *fist bump*
Physics is cool, chemistry sucks! Big Grin

I've never been any good at languages. On the contrary. I just understand Norwegian because it's incredibly similar to Danish.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
28-05-2017, 10:25 AM
(28-05-2017 09:18 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(27-05-2017 08:17 PM)Fireball Wrote:  ...but I picked Physics for a major because it was even more interesting. And I could be sure to get a job with it. It's been 34 years since I graduated university, and I never got back to linguistics.

I've never been any good at languages. On the contrary. I just understand Norwegian because it's incredibly similar to Danish.

Cool! There are something like 5 or 6 of us here so trained. I only took two courses of an astronomical nature- Intro, and Solar System Astrophysics. I should take that again, what with all that has been learned in the last 34 years...but I'm old and retired. I don't want to work that hard for a grade (in anything except keeping on living well and healthy) ever again.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
28-05-2017, 10:59 AM
(28-05-2017 10:25 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(28-05-2017 09:18 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Yay, another physicist (astrophysics here) *fist bump*

Cool! There are something like 5 or 6 of us here so trained. I only took two courses of an astronomical nature- Intro, and Solar System Astrophysics. I should take that again, what with all that has been learned in the last 34 years...but I'm old and retired. I don't want to work that hard for a grade (in anything except keeping on living well and healthy) ever again.

There's always books Smile And you obviously have to keep up with the new knowledge about exo-planets. Pop topic, but you can't miss out when the little green men are found! Big Grin And the Kepler telescope is a wonderful toy!

Anyway. Better not hijack the thread with off topic stuff Smile

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
28-05-2017, 12:35 PM
(28-05-2017 09:18 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  

Piss off chemistry is fuckin awesomeTongue
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
28-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Chemistry is physics. And biology is chemistry. It's all the same thing. It's just a matter of which level of the chain you choose to study.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-05-2017, 06:02 PM
(28-05-2017 04:37 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Chemistry is physics. And biology is chemistry. It's all the same thing. It's just a matter of which level of the chain you choose to study.

Right. I chose the part that isn't all gooey, though. Biology is interesting, but that dissection stuff just wasn't for me.

Maybe this part of the thread could get added to "The Elegant Nature of Science" Thread?
28-05-2017, 07:53 PM
(28-05-2017 06:02 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(28-05-2017 04:37 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Chemistry is physics. And biology is chemistry. It's all the same thing. It's just a matter of which level of the chain you choose to study.

Right. I chose the part that isn't all gooey, though. Biology is interesting, but that dissection stuff just wasn't for me.

Maybe this part of the thread could get added to "The Elegant Nature of Science" Thread?

You do have to like the icky stuff, if you're going to study biology.

I fell in love with my Beloved on our second date, when I took her for a motorcycle ride out to a lake I liked, a few miles outside of town, which had a trail that went around it. We were about halfway around the lake/trail when she spotted a bright-colored beetle sitting on a plant by the water, immediately exclaimed that she wanted to go see it, and then walked out onto the mud flat shoreline (squishing about 2-3" deep of mud with each step) to go pick it up and bring it back to show me. Be still my beating heart!!

It really was a cool looking beetle. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-05-2017, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2017 08:54 PM by Fireball.)
I first spotted my wife-to-be while having lunch with some friends (she with her friends), in the Permanent Utilities Building (PUB) at our university and thought, "Her for me!" Rolleyes I saw her again in my Modern Physics class, later that day. Introduced myself, inveigled my way into her social circle, and introduced her into mine; took her on a few dates and then proposed on the 3rd date. Though (technically) we were joined at the hip within a week. How's that for crazy? Crazy like a fox...we've been married 36 years, now. Ups and downs like any other relationship, but I'm pleased with her...and she tolerates me. Laugh out load I could have done WAY worse, seeing how some of my friend's (and a lot of other people's in general) relationships have turned out. Yes

OK, BoT. I picked Fireball as a handle because, as I mentioned in my intro (not this one), I have pyrophiliac tendencies. Also, I used Rolleyes to have an explosive temper, which I have had a great deal of success with channeling into education instead of getting into fights, like I did all through school and while in the US Navy. I was that little guy who couldn't see and didn't get glasses until he was 11.

I hate to say it, but in the '50s and '60s, if you were some little white kid, you could get in fights all the time, and it was called "boys being boys". Note- I never even met a person of color until I was 12, so I didn't know about what happened to them if they got in a fight.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post