How did you choose/invent your user name?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2017, 09:20 PM
RE: How did you choose/invent your user name?
(27-05-2017 12:15 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 09:45 AM)big green mouth Wrote:  I don't know. I wanted something different than my nick on AF.org, and it just sort of came to me in a flash.

> I must admit that your user name was the one I was most curious about before I started this discussion. Thanks for your input. Thumbsup

Sorry for being so dull. I can tell a more interesting story about my first forum nick, apophenia. Apophenia is the phenomenon of seeing meaningful patterns in what is random data. When I first signed up for a forum, it was at theologyweb, and my choosing the nickname apophenia was an inside joke meant to imply that the religious folk I was discussing things with were seeing meaningful patterns (God) in otherwise random data (the universe).

Okay, it's not much more exciting than "I just thought it up", but at least there's a raison d'etre.

And then I was rasetsu (Japanese for a rakshasa, which is a Hindu 'demon'), and now over at AF, I'm Jormungandr. Why? I don't know. Maybe because I inhabit the silent deep. Or maybe just because I love the mythology. Or maybe....

[Image: jormungand-ragnarok.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like big green mouth's post
28-05-2017, 09:41 PM
I am a retired fireman and also have work forestry and with trees for many years. Now I'm just a soccer Dad and husband. Nothing special anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like treefireguy's post
28-05-2017, 09:45 PM
In a past life I herded yaks in Tibet.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
29-05-2017, 01:34 AM
(28-05-2017 09:20 PM)big green mouth Wrote:  
(27-05-2017 12:15 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I must admit that your user name was the one I was most curious about before I started this discussion. Thanks for your input. Thumbsup

Sorry for being so dull. I can tell a more interesting story about my first forum nick, apophenia. Apophenia is the phenomenon of seeing meaningful patterns in what is random data. When I first signed up for a forum, it was at theologyweb, and my choosing the nickname apophenia was an inside joke meant to imply that the religious folk I was discussing things with were seeing meaningful patterns (God) in otherwise random data (the universe).

Okay, it's not much more exciting than "I just thought it up", but at least there's a raison d'etre.

And then I was rasetsu (Japanese for a rakshasa, which is a Hindu 'demon'), and now over at AF, I'm Jormungandr. Why? I don't know. Maybe because I inhabit the silent deep. Or maybe just because I love the mythology. Or maybe....

[Image: jormungand-ragnarok.jpg]

> I guess I'm just obsessed with Middle Earth. Gwaithmir has been my username on every website in which I'm in a chat room or forum. Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
29-05-2017, 02:40 AM
Some people complain about people changing their nick all the time, well I'm one of those people that they're complaining about. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like big green mouth's post
01-06-2017, 10:18 PM
I've been known to complain a little .. about nick changes .. acronym use .. kids walking on my lawn ..

"Whateverist" comes from a quote I like in Alan Watts' "The Wisdom of Insecurity", a book that meant a lot to me during my one bout with depression. Too lazy to look it up but the essence of the quote has to do with the difference between "belief" and "faith". Goes something like:

'The believer will believe what is true so long as it squares with what they already believe. A person of faith will believe what is true, whatever it may turn out to be.'

I like to think I'm a person of faith. I just haven't found any deities among the truths I've managed to find.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
02-06-2017, 07:27 AM
(29-05-2017 02:40 AM)big green mouth Wrote:  Some people complain about people changing their nick all the time, well I'm one of those people that they're complaining about. Tongue

You should change your name to hotlookingcartoonchick.
[+] 6 users Like KUSA's post
02-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Or maybe "Green Sugar Tits"?

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
02-06-2017, 02:39 PM
I changed my username to my first name, which I chose when I was legally changing my name. I felt my old username didn't fit any longer. It felt too much like an old identity that I was trying to shrug off. Still feels that way, it hasn't been that long lol.
[+] 4 users Like Emma's post
17-09-2017, 05:04 AM
About two dozen or more new members have joined TTA since this thread was last active. I invite them to add their comments. Smile