How did you come out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2010, 10:29 PM

How did you come out
I want to know how everyone came out to their family and friends about being atheist. I did it slowly and thankfully my brothers and sister were atheist too. Only one person in my life doesn't know that I'm atheist. And thats my Grandmother. If she found out she would not only disown me but would beat me with a rolling pin.
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2010, 04:50 AM
RE: How did you come out
i did it slowly, i just didnt wear my confirmation cross or in any other way show that i would have religious beliefs. now its chrystal clear to my family that im an atheist, i dont call myself an atheist, it wouldnt be good reputation here, but i call myself godless. i dont start any converstations avout religions or science, but if someone else starts one i will continue it till the end.
i dont think my father knew about me being godless, untill two months ago when he had watched too much television and started to talk something about that the world is gonna end in hte next few years because the book of revelation somehow says so, even thought the predictions would fit any time of mankinds history. and if something is in the bible, its true for him.
also he loves conspiracy theories, he even claimed that M/S Estonia was sunk by the falling soviet union.
always when he starts a converstation about those topics, we end up in a situation where he says: ''its jus a matter of faith''.
one of the reasons why its not good to call oneself an atheist is that here, christians dont call the soviet union a tyranny or not even the communist soviet union, but the atheist soviet union, the place where science had the lead.Big Grin

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2010, 08:16 AM

This whole "Coming Out" thing is interesting to me, because I guess I've not really needed to come out. Now I'm a scientist so for some time now most of my peeps have been science type people so that may make a tiny difference. However even when I was Catholic I never really talked about faith or being Catholic, I just went to church and that was that. My faith or anyone elses faith was just never a topic of conversation. Now the only thing that has been the least bit interesting is that I have had three children and none of them were baptized and it has been mentioned by my sister, but I say I don't want to talk about it and conversations over. My last child only lived for 4 months and I did have the hospital chaplain there to pray when he died, but that was more for my wife and in-laws, but it didn't "bother" me in the least. People close to me do know I'm atheist, but I never talk about it, and I'm not a smartass to people I like when faith ever comes up so they have no reason care what I am. My family is moderately bummed I'm not religous, but they have there own issues to worry about. So my answer is I guess my "coming out" is going pretty smoothly.
01-07-2010, 08:30 AM
I think I was in high school at the time, my friend told me to watch this movie called Zeitgeist, which debunks and explains away a lot of the Christian faith. Now, I had never really been overly religious and neither had my family (no church or anything like that) but the movie got me thinking. I did some reading and some research and got better educated on the subject because it was something I had never considered, no god was as alien to me as Mars.

So after a week or two of extensive reading and thinking I was sitting in the billiard room just thinking when my dad came in. He asked me "what are you doing out here?" since I very obviously wasn't playing pool.
"Just thinking about whether I can believe in God or not anymore."
He sighed and told me something I haven't forgotten yet and hope not to forget any time soon, "God, or gods, are only what you make of them." and then he left because he was only grabbing a beer from the beer fridge and going back to his friends.
That is a very profound moment for me because my dad and I aren't incredibly close, but that was the moment when I sealed the deal with my agnostic atheism, knowing that my dad didn't believe either. It was the way he said it to me, it just registered, you know the feeling right? I later found out that he and my mom (who is the religious parent) didn't send me or my brothers to churches or religious schools because they wanted us to make up our own minds. Interestingly enough, my dad never pushed any of us towards anything and my mom pushed us towards christendom and yet we're all agnostic atheists or straight up atheists now.
My mom is cool with it though, she wasn't angry or anything. In fact, we have some rational discussions and I think I may even be bringing her to the light!
The rest of my family seems to know too, they ask me the basics "well then how did everything get here?" and I give them the basic answers. Nobody was really angry with me or anything, so I count myself lucky that I don't live in a more religious country or family.

01-07-2010, 01:33 PM

I just don't believe anything unless it I have seen Zeitgeist its a good movie, and it made me completely atheist. And Green, one of my friends has a set of parents like you, his father doesn't really care but his mother she is overly religious. She doesn't drink the Christian kool-aid, she makes it.
01-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Actually Zeitgeist is a pretty poor excuse for a movie. Though he has a few valid points, some of his arguments are pseudo-science at best, while most would be labeled bullshit. He is just another crazy conspiracy theorist who wants to make a quick buck (in my eyes he's pretty much parallel to preachers).

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)
01-07-2010, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2010 05:42 PM by Kikko.)
i have heard so many say that zeitgeist made them atheist. i have no idea why i had this memory that i had saw zeitgeist already and it would have been some non-sense about the muslims taking over europe.
i decided to watch zeitgeist and it was nothing like mulsims takin over europe shit.
i have now watched zeitgeist1 and the first2 parts of zeitgeist2. i have watched many shows from TV about different conspiracies and none of them has convinced me about anything, but now i watched this zeitgeist thing and it says that the world is controlled/going to be controlled by a small group of extremely rich and powerful people, and they actually explain it in someway and defend the thought.
so i have a few questions:
1. can those zeitgeist films be kept as believeable, trustworthy or even possible?
i mean, are the people in them who talk about that they have been in operations to corrupt goverments of foreign countries really what they say, especially that ''old friend of the rockefeller'' who claimed that rockefeller had said all that crazy stuff.
2. im no master at understanding economics, but less than 200years ago moneys value was bound to gold and today its bound to the law of supply and demand.
how does the law of supply and demand determine the value of money and why was the gold based money values taken away(how did they not work)?

my questions might be stupid and off-topic, but im jsut a kid, educate me(i dont think these are going to be my only guestions, im just gonna watch the rest of the zeitgeist2 before i ask more[also i could just google search answers to my questons but the most comfort way to get them is when somebody tells you in a way that is easy to understand +im using more english than finnish these days and reading alot of english text from a screen is making my eyes go crazy and its not comfortable])

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
01-07-2010, 05:38 PM

I come from a Hindu family. And really, both my parents are big science buffs just like me, and in every other context except when it deals with their religion, they'll support a scientific point of view.

Then, they go to the temple and pray to the six armed elephant man. I wonder how they reconcile this?

A clue was given to me when I came out and said I was an atheist. My dad doesn't really care, but my mom started crying. She said that it was impossible to change my faith because I came from a Hindu family. I told her about religious freedom, but apparently that was irrelevant for some reason. I think it boils down to just blind faith. Don't think about what you are doing, just do it because it's what you always have been doing.
01-07-2010, 05:44 PM
[Image: 20071218.gif]

No, but seriously, I just told them. I didn't think it was that big a deal. Apparently I'm fairly lucky, though.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2010, 10:10 PM
(01-07-2010 04:38 PM)Moshe Wrote:  Actually Zeitgeist is a pretty poor excuse for a movie. Though he has a few valid points, some of his arguments are pseudo-science at best, while most would be labeled bullshit. He is just another crazy conspiracy theorist who wants to make a quick buck (in my eyes he's pretty much parallel to preachers).

Oh I know that now, but I do give it credit for putting the notion that there is no God in my head. Before I had seen that movie I had never even entertained the idea. I never cared much for the bit on 9/11 anyways, I just can't tell the story without Zeitgeist since it got me researching and reading and learning Tongue