How did you get interested in history?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2013, 06:58 AM
How did you get interested in history?
How did you get interested in history? Did you stumble upon it yourself, or was it a certain person in your life? My 5th grade history teacher Mrs. Johnson got me interested in Egyptian mythology. From there, I moved onto Greek, Norse, and eventually Chinese mythology. I found the latter so interesting that I wanted to learn more about Chinese history. I later moved onto the history of other cultures once I learned how they had influenced or were influenced by China.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2013, 07:15 AM
RE: How did you get interested in history?
I never thought about how I became interested in history...

I guess it started with war. I loved playing with little army figures as a kid, as boys do, and my father was often watching some documentary like "As It Happened" or their ilk on SBS. I guess that just rubbed off on me, I have not really strayed from that interest yet; War history is the history I love so dear.

One of my fondest childhood memories was when my father took me to the Keswik Barracks (where he apparently train for some time) to have a look at the war museum there. Absolutely fascinating. Though I must admit, I am less interested by the ribbons and uniforms as I am the weapons, battles and conflicts.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
20-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Well....while in school (college), I had to take a course in Ancient History...absolutely boring (got an "F"...would have gotten lower, but the university didn't have anything lower).
Then...some years later, I took an "at home" course in Ancient History....actually learned something!
Then, my spouse went "re-birther", and I've been digging into the period from about 600B CE to about 400 CE.
Also, if a period or event "catches my eye" I can divert my attentions to it (like Custer, the Victorian era, Dark Ages, the Romans, the Egyptians, early US history, the Middle Ages, and so forth).
Actually, I find history to be lots of fun!
[+] 2 users Like jthorndyke's post
20-05-2013, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2013 08:42 AM by Full Circle.)
When I was 6 years old my parents took me to see the Spanish fortress of San Juan de San Felipe del Morro http://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm
(CHeck out the virtual tour of this place, it'll blow your mind as to the sheer size and amzing architecture. Sir Francis Drake attacked it without success)

I have been hooked on the New World "contact" period ever since. Then, of course, I wanted to dig for dinosaurs when I was 10 (I have spent some time digging in the Green River, Wyoming area for fossilized sea critters), eventually I made it to Europe and had to visit all the medieval castles, afterwards traveled to the Pacific rim to dive the sunken ships from WWII...

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
28-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Re: How did you get interested in history?
For me, it's much like the IP.

My 6th grade social studies teacher was a great storyteller and I really got into mythology and history because of that class. I still recall learning about the Mesopotamians in thrilling excitement.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
30-05-2013, 10:36 AM
For me this is only an interest about old things. I have the need to know and I don't know what is the exact reason.
08-06-2013, 05:12 PM
It kind of runs in the family. My grandparents used to deal in antiquities. I just gre up in an enviroment where it's often discussed.
08-06-2013, 05:38 PM
I tend to get interested in things that happened during my lifetime that are now history (yeah, I am that old). Things that I was aware of but really didn't know a lot of details - 60s and 70s in particular. The Kennedy family, Viet Nam, that kind of thing. I had a vague idea of what happened due to news and the paper and hearing the adults talk. In later years I studied and fill in some of the blanks. The images in my mind made better sense then.

I remember seeing Kennedy give speeches on TV, I remember his funeral. I remember the moon landing and The Beatles coming to America for the first time. I knew guys that served in VN and guys that were coming close on the draft. Civil rights events that were going on caused the most argument among the adults around me. Of course I was just behind the kids that went to Woodstock and know the protest songs of that time.

There was a period of time when I was all into Egypt...for a while. Then I got into reading and studying other things.

Note: not a post to bring out the conspiracy whacks...just answering the OPs question.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
08-06-2013, 06:18 PM
My family went on a month-long tour of American Civil War sites/museums when I was young, but I really became interested in US history in high school. I had an excellent teacher for Advanced Placement US History. She was very tough though. We read at least 20 pages from each of our 3 text books every night and turned in a report on the reading each day. I don't remember the other books, but I still have my copy of A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. That teacher is probably the reason my sister chose to become a professor of political science.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
[+] 1 user Likes cbb2274's post
11-06-2013, 09:09 PM
I've loved general history more or less all my life, starting with mideval and native american stuff, then I got obsessed with the civil war (on the southern side... But not because of slavery or God and country), and right now im absolutely immersed in the history of the evolution of the Indo-European language family.
[+] 1 user Likes Bjorn's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your Favorite History Based Movies BrokenQuill92 53 1,448 16-07-2014 02:25 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  Anyone here interested in Plato's Atlantis? barcelonic 41 506 27-06-2014 06:03 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  History of egalitarianism living thing 13 223 20-06-2014 07:49 AM
Last Post: ClydeLee
  Yijin Jing history ghostexorcist 2 148 05-06-2014 07:56 PM
Last Post: ghostexorcist
  A History of Celtic Britain The Germans are coming 9 208 30-05-2014 01:32 AM
Last Post: true scotsman
  Ancient history book recommendation needed Eva 27 327 04-04-2014 03:17 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  The history documentary thread The Germans are coming 8 360 21-01-2014 10:03 PM
Last Post: cheapthrillseaker