How did your relationship to God/Religion evolve?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2011, 03:37 AM
RE: How did your relationship to God/Religion evolve?
we'll see how I do. Each point is where I first came upon an idea.
3-4: One of my first real feelings of my own self was that I was different than others. Taken to church but not yet aware of it.
8: Find out about ancient greek mythology from some textbooks my mom gave me. First discovery of religion (though it's been around me and pushed on me this whole time). Realize what is going on ever Sunday, and protest profusely because now that I am trying to listen I can't stand what's being said. Battle with a belief that even though I can't believe in a god those who do have better lives. Desire to be able to believe but admit that I can't. Agnosticism
12: Explore satanism with a friend who is into it, just as it's something different to look at. Never convinced still agnostic
18: Get tired of religion altogether as no one is really willing to discuss or think about it. At this point I had been introduced to many christianities, greeks/romans, native beliefs (my favorite), judaism, hindu, bhuddism, daoism, egyptian among others. Non-theistic
24: Finally answer the feeling different issue. Become much more extroverted thereby realizing how much god is mentioned. Anti-theist
27-Now: Come to a near breaking point in dealing with patriotism and religion in conversations, find this site and actually discuss religion (no longer focusing on specific ones). Declare atheism as opposed to my post 18 non interested label. Desire a label that actually suggests something I believe and look back to animism. Animistic Atheist

Many arguments with my family's christian god exist during this time as every desire I have is apparently sinful. Felt like sparing you all the small stuff like how I must be male and that animals are "lesser" (the reason I didn't accept christianity at 8 when I actually looked at it).

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2011, 11:34 AM
RE: How did your relationship to God/Religion evolve?
Age 5: Fervently believed in christanity, and even defended it from time to time.
Age 6-7: Discoverd other religons. Starting to doubt my beliefs.
Age 8: No longer attending church, and recieving critisism from family members.
Age 10: Rejecting christianity and all other religons, fully Atheist.
Age 13: Starting to be outspoken about my atheism, and criticizing religon.

I am going to hell because i dare to question bronze-age goat herders, and think for myself.
~Me~

I am not smarter than religious people because I have a better understanding of science than them. I am smarter because I know I am not going to live forever, and I am happy with that.
~Me~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply