How do Aethist think about veganism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 07:36 PM
RE: How do Aethist think about veganism?
Even if we don't agree that eating meat is wrong, surely we can agree that "because it tastes good" is not a convincing argument right? Maybe it warrants further inspection?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
28-04-2014, 07:41 PM
(28-04-2014 07:36 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Even if we don't agree that eating meat is wrong, surely we can agree that "because it tastes good" is not a convincing argument right?

No?

You would have to demonstrate that as well.

(28-04-2014 07:36 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Maybe it warrants further inspection?

Don't think we can't hear you silently judging, mate.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
28-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Doesn't matter if they're plants or animals; living things have to die for you to continue living!

At least meat begins as a part of an animal with legs to run away on Dodgy
Lettuce, tomatoes, and onions are utterly defenseless against the murderous intentions of the dreaded herbivore Gasp

[+] 6 users Like TheGulegon's post
28-04-2014, 07:50 PM
I fail to see a connection between atheism and veganism. Well, ok, they both end in "ism".

Humans are omnivores. Our bodies evolved to eat everything seasonally. That means that sometimes people ate a ton of one thing and not a lot of another. But in the course of a year, they ate everything.

What we are evolved to eat is what is good for us. Our bodies have spent eons becoming adapted to extracting nutrients from everything edible.

I agree with you that something needs to be done about how animals are kept and slaughtered.

I do not agree that veganism is the best possible diet for humans.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
28-04-2014, 08:18 PM
I said I didn't want to get into the specifics of the arguments, and I will try and stick to that. Try and empathize with me if you can, hearing people equate killing animals as if its the same thing as eating vegetable, and make food chain arguments, and evolutionary arguments, ect, is frustrating intellectually from my point of view. Please, I don't mean to tell anybody that their a bad person or suggest that they are no intelligent or rational thinkers. Far from that, a forum like this one is a nexus for rational thinkers. If you are utterly convinced of the logical soundness of veganism, as I am, it is incredibly perplexing and vexing when you hear free thinkers make the same non arguments that everyone else does.

If you could try and hear this sentiment without feeling judged, criticized, or otherwise insulted, please take the time to think as critically and as deeply about your diet as you all have about your faith. I think if you approach food with the same rationalism, wit, and incredulous humor as a Dokins or a Hitchens (and I know that's a tall order!) then at the very minimum, some interesting observations might be made.

Thank you all for welcoming me to this forum so graciously and for being so patient with me. Only trying to spark some discussion, and maybe a little deep thought if I can Smile.
28-04-2014, 08:21 PM
(28-04-2014 07:41 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 07:36 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Even if we don't agree that eating meat is wrong, surely we can agree that "because it tastes good" is not a convincing argument right?

No?

You would have to demonstrate that as well.

(28-04-2014 07:36 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Maybe it warrants further inspection?

Don't think we can't hear you silently judging, mate.

I apologize if I made you feel judged. That is the furthest thing from my intentions!
28-04-2014, 08:33 PM
(28-04-2014 07:36 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Even if we don't agree that eating meat is wrong, surely we can agree that "because it tastes good" is not a convincing argument right? Maybe it warrants further inspection?

Thats because meat and eggs are the only safe protein we have.

Soy is basically a gmo that is so bad that it makes the meat bad. Ya, if you thinking eating animals that eat soy is bad, then being the soy eating animal is killer.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/1...your-diet/

Beans are a little safer than soy but they give to many downfalls for it to be a benefit only.

Peanuts are the worst.

http://listverse.com/2012/05/18/10-unhea...e-healthy/

to the point people realize it was bad.

Only other source is nuts, but even that should be limited to a certain amount. Also the fact that if you are me you are allergic to nuts and eggs so you can't really get protein any where but meat.Tongue

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
28-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Meat is one of the biggest sources of vitamin D and B12,zinc,iron and proteins in our diet,so you would either need to use tablets,wich are less efficient . From a ecological perspective,it's better to be a vegan tho.
Just not a choice i would make. Maybe in the morning i'll make a nice summary of the positive and the negative effects of going vegan

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
28-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Good points guys. I try to avoid the nutrition side of the vegan argument, only because nutrient is really complex and not yet fully understood. Everyone has their favorite study they like to quote to justify their diet, and that's fine, you may be right I am not sure. I do know that there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that shows that vegans have very positive health outcomes. It might not be the best possible, but it is conducive for long life and good health in general, which is enough for me.

The lynch pin of the vegan argument is and probably always will be the moral one. Its a tough argument to hear, partially because people feel judged and preached to, but what I discovered after becoming a vegan, I think mostly difficult to listen to because it challenges so much of our culture and ideology about animals and nature. I was watching a video on youtube a while back - it was a young man ranting very provocatively about veganism. Even as a vegan I found it difficult to watch, but he said something right at the end of it that really stuck with me. I am paraphrasing here, but it was something like "You can get mad at me all you like, but at the end of the day I am fighting to save animals and you are fighting to kill them.". I don't open with that when I try and talk to people about veganism, but you have to admit, its a pretty big moral hurdle to navigate around. I couldn't do it, hence I became vegan Big Grin.
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
28-04-2014, 08:46 PM
(28-04-2014 08:18 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I said I didn't want to get into the specifics of the arguments, and I will try and stick to that. Try and empathize with me if you can, hearing people equate killing animals as if its the same thing as eating vegetable, and make food chain arguments, and evolutionary arguments, ect, is frustrating intellectually from my point of view. Please, I don't mean to tell anybody that their a bad person or suggest that they are no intelligent or rational thinkers. Far from that, a forum like this one is a nexus for rational thinkers. If you are utterly convinced of the logical soundness of veganism, as I am, it is incredibly perplexing and vexing when you hear free thinkers make the same non arguments that everyone else does.

If you could try and hear this sentiment without feeling judged, criticized, or otherwise insulted, please take the time to think as critically and as deeply about your diet as you all have about your faith. I think if you approach food with the same rationalism, wit, and incredulous humor as a Dokins or a Hitchens (and I know that's a tall order!) then at the very minimum, some interesting observations might be made.

Thank you all for welcoming me to this forum so graciously and for being so patient with me. Only trying to spark some discussion, and maybe a little deep thought if I can Smile.

*Dawkins

The evolutionary argument is both rational and practical. You are welcome to make an argument based on your personal ethics and morality, but that does not trump facts.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post