How do Aethist think about veganism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2014, 11:38 PM
RE: How do Aethist think about veganism?
(01-05-2014 11:20 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 09:02 PM)kim Wrote:  The 2nd part of this article is an interesting place to start a dietary update of primates.

"Many primate species once considered herbivorous are now known to expand the animal-matter portion of their diet to high levels when it is possible to do so...
Insect food is the predominant animal matter resource for primates. Insects are eaten by all extant apes, i.e., chimpanzees (e.g., Lawick-Goodall 1968), orang-utans (Gladikas-Brindamour1), gorillas (Fossey2), gibbons (Chivers 1972, R.L. Tilson3), and the siamang (Chivers 1972). The amount of insect matter in most primate diets is small, but may expand to more than 90% of the diet when insects are abundant and easily captured...

Preference for animal matter seems confirmed."

Also, as side note... there have been future projections for our species to consume more insects due to various environmental(drought/flood) and socio-cultural changes. Wouldn't bother me - I've eaten palm grubs and found them to be pretty yummy - kind of a nutty flavor. Shy

I don't have any stake in proving anything about primates. If you or anybody else wants to count that as a victory you are welcome too it Undecided

You do realise that humans are primates, right?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
02-05-2014, 12:35 AM
(01-05-2014 11:20 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 09:02 PM)kim Wrote:  The 2nd part of this article is an interesting place to start a dietary update of primates.

"Many primate species once considered herbivorous are now known to expand the animal-matter portion of their diet to high levels when it is possible to do so...
Insect food is the predominant animal matter resource for primates. Insects are eaten by all extant apes, i.e., chimpanzees (e.g., Lawick-Goodall 1968), orang-utans (Gladikas-Brindamour1), gorillas (Fossey2), gibbons (Chivers 1972, R.L. Tilson3), and the siamang (Chivers 1972). The amount of insect matter in most primate diets is small, but may expand to more than 90% of the diet when insects are abundant and easily captured...

Preference for animal matter seems confirmed."

Also, as side note... there have been future projections for our species to consume more insects due to various environmental(drought/flood) and socio-cultural changes. Wouldn't bother me - I've eaten palm grubs and found them to be pretty yummy - kind of a nutty flavor. Shy

I don't have any stake in proving anything about primates. If you or anybody else wants to count that as a victory you are welcome too it Undecided

That's odd. You argued for several pages that our ancestors were herbivores, or at least predominately so, and when your assertions are shown to be false, suddenly you have no stake in them?

Why, it's almost as if you're moving the goalposts.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 3 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
02-05-2014, 12:46 AM
(02-05-2014 12:35 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  That's odd. You argued for several pages that our ancestors were herbivores, or at least predominately so, and when your assertions are shown to be false, suddenly you have no stake in them?

Why, it's almost as if you're moving the goalposts.

With the endless parade of own goals, it might even things up

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
02-05-2014, 12:49 AM
¿Que?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
02-05-2014, 04:34 AM
(01-05-2014 08:48 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  BLah blah blah....

If we agree that veganism is healthy, hardly a bold claim, ...blah blah blah..

The delusion is strong with this one.

We DON'T AGREE TO THAT. PERIOD.

Fucking idiot.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
02-05-2014, 04:40 AM
(01-05-2014 11:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 11:20 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I don't have any stake in proving anything about primates. If you or anybody else wants to count that as a victory you are welcome too it Undecided

You do realise that humans are primates, right?

...AND apes.

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/content/...monkey.htm

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
02-05-2014, 05:24 AM
(02-05-2014 04:40 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 11:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You do realise that humans are primates, right?

...AND apes.

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/content/...monkey.htm

Well that goes without saying.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-05-2014, 07:20 AM
(02-05-2014 12:49 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  ¿Que?

Latin or spanish?

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
02-05-2014, 07:48 AM
(02-05-2014 07:20 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 12:49 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  ¿Que?

Latin or spanish?

Yes.

[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
02-05-2014, 06:23 PM
This thread makes me want to kill and grill one of every animal in the ecosystem around my house.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post