How do Aethist think about veganism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2014, 03:51 PM
RE: How do Aethist think about veganism?
(09-05-2014 02:05 PM)djhall Wrote:  Well, after a quick perusal of 28 pages of discussion, I'm mostly just disappointed.

I assumed 28 pages of discussion would surely have interesting debates related to the idea that if we, as atheists, believe we are just a highly evolved animals, and we also believe we have value, then perhaps some of what gives our lives value and argues against killing us may apply somewhat to other animals, and if we clarify these concepts further we could use that information to evaluate moral claims about the relative merits of various animal food sources, of how they are raised, of how they are killed, and maybe even the moral pros and cons of humanely raising, caring for, and ultimately killing animals for food versus simply leaving them to struggle, go without veterinary care, and die with suffering from starvation, predation, and habitat loss.

THAT could have been fascinating. Ah well....

Yeah Undecided . Instead we spent 10 pages arguing over whether or not if you stop eating meat, you will die. Ten pages before that just defining terms. Half of ever one of them insults and what people planed to eat for dinner.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2014, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2014 04:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-05-2014 03:51 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Yeah Undecided . Instead we spent 10 pages arguing over whether or not if you stop eating meat, you will die. Ten pages before that just defining terms. Half of ever one of them insults and what people planed to eat for dinner.

Thanks. You just saved me wading through 25 pages of muck.

(28-04-2014 08:44 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  The lynch pin of the vegan argument is and probably always will be the moral one.

What about entomophagy? Insects provide plenty of protein and nutritional value. What would be the moral argument against eating them? Or worms?

Oh, and just because you can't hear the carrot scream don't mean it ain't screaming. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-05-2014, 08:26 PM
(09-05-2014 01:54 PM)natachan Wrote:  No one here HATES vegans. I oppose vegans imposing their unhealthy diets on others (especially children. I think there's some cause to call making kids eat vegan child abuse). I don't like being preached to. Other than that, vegans are ok.

I do find it odd you call atheism a movement. It's just a position on one issue.

Speak for yourself, I hate them.
09-05-2014, 09:19 PM
(09-05-2014 04:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 03:51 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Yeah Undecided . Instead we spent 10 pages arguing over whether or not if you stop eating meat, you will die. Ten pages before that just defining terms. Half of ever one of them insults and what people planed to eat for dinner.

Thanks. You just saved me wading through 25 pages of muck.

(28-04-2014 08:44 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  The lynch pin of the vegan argument is and probably always will be the moral one.

What about entomophagy? Insects provide plenty of protein and nutritional value. What would be the moral argument against eating them? Or worms?

Oh, and just because you can't hear the carrot scream don't mean it ain't screaming. Tongue

Yabut, those carrots deserve it. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-05-2014, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 01:15 PM by kim.)
(09-05-2014 09:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 04:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oh, and just because you can't hear the carrot scream don't mean it ain't screaming. Tongue

Yabut, those carrots deserve it. Angry

MMmmmm.... carrots .... yuuuummm. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-05-2014, 01:22 PM
I was saving this picture for the Lagomorph thread but it's relevant here as well.

[Image: 872743c6c040a6711bf392a39705c4eb.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
10-05-2014, 02:18 PM
This is bullshit. My post on page 24 was a direct engagement of the discussion and you have completely ignored it. It is you who does not wish to discuss. Only preach.

Drinking Beverage

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
10-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Monster....

You gotta go meet the new guy! OMGOMG....he is here to save us.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...our-choice

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-05-2014, 02:33 PM
(10-05-2014 02:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Monster....

You gotta go meet the new guy! OMGOMG....he is here to save us.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...our-choice

Thumbsup

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
10-05-2014, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 02:42 PM by kim.)

I don't know what you're so bummed about... the title of the thread is HOW Do Atheists THINK About Veganism?

This is how atheists think ... there's bound to be a mixture of what atheists think as well. Dodgy

Essentially, what I said in my first post on this thread - way the fuck back on page 18 - "I have my reasons for being vegetarian and I have no desire to "help everyone around me to become vegetarian"." It seems you desire that everyone around you become vegan... there may lay your disappointment. Simply be content that you yourself are a vegan and allow others to make their personal choices.

If you are going to try to persuade others to hop up on your band wagon, you will want to get your story straight - especially the science parts. If you don't, your persuasion will be perceived for what it is: deliberate dishonesty to manipulate toward an agenda. Again.... manipulation is unscrupulous.

Agenda... mmm.
Very recently, atheism seems to have taken on the status of a "movement". I'm not certain all who are a "thing" want their "thing" to be a "movement" or even thought of as such, by others. Even so, I really don't think one "movement" should ever be conflated with another "movement" unless everyone within one, unanimously associate with the other naturally. And by associate, I mean do all the same stuff for the same reasons.

As for me being a vegetarian ... I've never once - ever - associated it in any way with me being atheist. These things are entirely different aspects of my life.

Now, if you were to say something like: "I am atheist therefore I think, and because I think, I'm aware of the suffering of animals in the hands of corporate farming and because of this, I choose to not support the use/consumption of animal products." That would be a valid statement which would pertain to you.

My reply to your valid statement: I am atheist therefore I think, also. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post