How do Aethist think about veganism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 10:22 AM
RE: How do Aethist think about veganism?
I would like to point out that plastics made from animal byproducts are actually better for the environment because they biodegrade, where petroleum based plastics don't.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
15-05-2014, 10:32 AM
(15-05-2014 10:22 AM)natachan Wrote:  I would like to point out that plastics made from animal byproducts are actually better for the environment because they biodegrade, where petroleum based plastics don't.

How is oil not an animal product? True they have been dead for an incredibly long time but it is made from the suffering of animals so...

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
15-05-2014, 11:20 AM
(15-05-2014 10:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 10:22 AM)natachan Wrote:  I would like to point out that plastics made from animal byproducts are actually better for the environment because they biodegrade, where petroleum based plastics don't.

How is oil not an animal product? True they have been dead for an incredibly long time but it is made from the suffering of animals so...

Because their suffering can be attributed to a huge fucking piece of rock falling out of the sky and not humans?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-05-2014, 11:29 AM
(15-05-2014 11:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 10:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  How is oil not an animal product? True they have been dead for an incredibly long time but it is made from the suffering of animals so...

Because their suffering can be attributed to a huge fucking piece of rock falling out of the sky and not humans?

How does who caused the suffering matter?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
15-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Re: How do Aethist think about veganism?
How do you differentiate an animal from a plant? You can see an animal actively moving, right. Regardless of the ability of locomotion, both are living creatures. Although, the level of awareness is lower in the plants, in general, it should not be morally justifiable to harm a non-protesting living creature. Poisoning a child while it is asleep, silently, would not be sufficiently different. Well, a plant will not have its kids to cry at a funeral. And it would have died on its own, anyway. But, is killing an old man in a coma with no family, moral by that logic? You might say, we eat parts of plants, like fruits, and that does not kill the plant. What about plants, like carrots, that we eat as a whole?

Ask yourself this: why does a plant have sweet tasting, colorful, juicy fruits? Because they were meant to lure animals to eat them, so that the species may grow by the spread of seeds. That is the way they reproduce.

Now ask yourself: Why does animal meat taste good? Why do we have canines? Because we were supposed to eat it. It is our supply of proteins. One species eating another is a self-functioning system that helps keep population in check, and triggers an arms race called evolution.

I don't see anything bad in non-vegetarian food. It's ignorant and futile to differentiate between types of food based on source. We are omnivorous hunters, after all.

Now, where does religion come into this? It is none of its business to tell me what not to eat; I know what's best for me. Why do I have a brain and a power to decide for myself?

I know Buddhism, Jainism and a few others tell you otherwise. Buddhism is a religion that derives largely from Hinduism, a religion that dictated sacrifices, widow burning, and professed pan-vegetarianism.

Other religions, Abrahamic (Christianity, Islam), Sikhism do not differentiate vegan from non veg.

Now, that is a point I use to show people how different religions have contradictory rules for "going to heaven", attaining "immortality" or "eternal peace", making one of them inevitably wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes kahlon's post
15-05-2014, 07:02 PM
(15-05-2014 10:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Mostly plants, methinks. Carboniferous forests and such.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2014, 11:52 PM
(15-05-2014 12:48 PM)kahlon Wrote:  Buddhism is a religion that derives largely from Hinduism,

Incorrect. the Buddha rejected Brahmanism, which was more or less proto-Hinduism.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
16-05-2014, 05:42 AM
(15-05-2014 11:29 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 11:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Because their suffering can be attributed to a huge fucking piece of rock falling out of the sky and not humans?

How does who caused the suffering matter?

Good question.

Because hating on sentient actors give them a brain-boner that they wouldn't otherwise get cursing a meteorite or the emotionlessness of natural processes running their course? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-05-2014, 08:05 AM
(16-05-2014 05:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 11:29 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  How does who caused the suffering matter?

Good question.

Because hating on sentient actors give them a brain-boner that they wouldn't otherwise get cursing a meteorite or the emotionlessness of natural processes running their course? Consider

Yes The "moral high ground" vegans claim is smoke and mirrors and their diet is not healthy. But we all knew this.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-05-2014, 03:54 PM
(28-04-2014 04:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  We are omnivores, therefore veganism is not the most rational choice. Drinking Beverage

Bingo! This sums up my entire feelings about the whole thing. There is vitamines from milk, cheese, eggs, and meat that you have to look pretty hard or cannot find at all in plants.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post