How do Aethist think about veganism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2014, 07:13 AM
RE: How do Aethist think about veganism?
[Image: damn-nature-u-scary_o_3237449.webp]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
19-05-2014, 02:00 PM
(15-05-2014 11:52 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:48 PM)kahlon Wrote:  Buddhism is a religion that derives largely from Hinduism,

Incorrect. the Buddha rejected Brahmanism, which was more or less proto-Hinduism.

Personally I think that Brahmanism provided the building blocks for Atheists.

Also I am interested with how vegans are able to deal with religious animals such as ants and the wolf.

I want to hear your opinions on this.
19-05-2014, 03:22 PM
(19-05-2014 02:00 PM)Paul Linfor Wrote:  Personally I think that Brahmanism provided the building blocks for Atheists.
---

Uh... human beings are born not believing in anything in particular. "Beliefs" and "faith" are learned concepts.

If there were no concept of a god dreamed up by human beings in the first place, there would be no reason for other human beings to reject such a notion.

Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-05-2014, 03:51 PM
How do Aethist think about veganism?
(19-05-2014 02:00 PM)Paul Linfor Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 11:52 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Incorrect. the Buddha rejected Brahmanism, which was more or less proto-Hinduism.

Also I am interested with how vegans are able to deal with religious animals such as ants and the wolf.

[Image: 4ure8a2y.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 6 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
19-05-2014, 04:21 PM
(15-05-2014 11:52 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Incorrect. the Buddha rejected Brahmanism, which was more or less proto-Hinduism.

You're kidding right? Please tell me this is your idea of a "funny" because if not...

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
20-05-2014, 11:16 PM

Yes, because we all believe in the fucking Brahmin-god.

You are a fucking idiot. What are you, like twelve fucking years old??

Quote:Also I am interested with how vegans are able to deal with religious animals such as ants and the wolf.

My opinion is FUCK YOU.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
20-05-2014, 11:26 PM

What the fuck you are talking about?Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
21-05-2014, 01:12 PM
[Image: fba32914cb2debdade7fbf1271222a.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 7 users Like Revenant77x's post
22-05-2014, 12:43 AM
(28-04-2014 03:36 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I am a new member to the thinking atheist web forum, and a pretty new member to the podcast and channel in general. I really enjoy watching and participating in secular and free thinking discussion because I find that the community is much more receptive to reason and logic and in general more enlightened and open minded. I have been an atheist pretty much my whole life. I flirted with theism for a long time, primarily out of fear and uncertainty, but I started doubting at a very early age. I have noticed in the secular community that many people are a lot like me, we just don't fit in theistic communities. We tend to be incessant question'ers and challengers of ideas and authorities. While many believers seem to be very comfortable and rather uncritical of their faith, as atheist we just can't help but challenge it even if it hurts, and for a time anyway, makes us very unhappy. We just can't believe in something that doesn't make sense.

When I became a vegan more than a year ago, I found my "conversation" to vegansim to be remarkably similar to my "conversion" to atheism. At first I was a bit of a quite and abashed vagan, saying things like "its good for my health" and "the way the world is going there might be a day when the choice is made for me not to eat meat" and things like that, somewhat similar to the way people become "spiritual but not religious" and "agnostic but not athiest" as they settle into their new non-theist identity. I started to become much more aware of my culture, my society, the hypocrisies in the way we treat animals and evaluate life, and the non arguments people use to justify this position. Some 55-85% of people are theist in the US and abroad depending on where you go, but something like 68% of people are omnivores and about 30% of people are "vegetarians", meaning eat at least some animal products, and only 2% of us are vegan. Its an immense culture shock, and it become incredibly isolating when you find your self being the only person eating what you eat and the dinner table, or more often, not eating what everybody else is eating. As fundamental as religion is to most people, I truly believe food is even more so, and the way people talk about food is often nearly identical in structure and form to the way people talk about prayer, ritual, and god.

I don't particularly want to get into the specifics of the vegan argument, more so I want to draw a parallel between veganism and atheism in a few ways. Both vegans and atheist are often marginalized, ridiculed, and grossly misrepresented in general. (In my opinion) both atheism and veganism are more rationally poor and humanitarian belief systems than pretty much all other alternatives. Both veganism and atheism seem to be the natural evolution of rational thought and a logical, evidence based approach to either food or faith.

Despite that though, I think its a fair assumption that most atheist are not vegans. It seems to strange to me that these intelligent and compassionate people I so readily identify with and respect have not made the compassionate and rational leap to the vegan diet. For those who are not familiar and find this post very strange, I strongly recommend you look into the vegan argument. The social, political, environmental, economic, and humanitarian benefits to vegansim (both for animals and people) are extremely difficult to dispute. If you are a vegan atheist I would love to hear from you. If you are a non vegan atheist I am curious, have you done any research into veganism, and why have you ultimately decided to keep eating animals and using animals derived products?

More meat for me!
22-05-2014, 06:31 AM
(13-05-2014 08:08 AM)Paul Linfor Wrote:  I am loving everyone's atheism here! Smile

Are you sure you're differentiating everyone's atheism from Taq's atheism? Cause I don't know what the fuck Taq put into his atheism... but I think I wanna put it into my penis. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post