How do I...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 11:39 AM
How do I...?
I may be being a bit thick here but how do I collapse a quote and how do I snip a quote?
No doubt it is simple but I can't figure it out.

Cheers
Steve

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2016, 11:54 AM
RE: How do I...?
Brass knuckles and pepper spray? Lighter fluid and matches? What? OK, I admit, I got nothing.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
17-01-2016, 11:56 AM
(17-01-2016 11:39 AM)stevec Wrote:  I may be being a bit thick here but how do I collapse a quote and how do I snip a quote?

By snip, do you mean how do you reduce the quantity of the text you're quoting?

-If that's what you're looking for, just hit the reply button and delete the quoted text that you don't want. Just make sure that the quotation and end quotation tags are above and below the text that you're trying to highlight.

You can also remove the person's name that you're quoting and just start the quote by typing "[ quote ]" at the beginning of the text and "[ /quote ]" at the end (without added spaces between the bracket and the word "quote").
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
17-01-2016, 11:59 AM
(17-01-2016 11:39 AM)stevec Wrote:  I may be being a bit thick here but how do I collapse a quote and how do I snip a quote?

I don't understand what you mean by "collapse a quote". If you quote something long the forum automatically displays the beginning and end with "SNIP" in the middle until you click on it. You can use the [ spoiler ] tag to hide something intentionally.

I also am not sure what you meany by snipping a quote other than just editing out the parts you want, or don't want, using cut/copy/paste in the text editing.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
19-01-2016, 11:31 AM
(17-01-2016 11:56 AM)Aliza Wrote:  

By snip, do you mean how do you reduce the quantity of the text you're quoting?

-If that's what you're looking for, just hit the reply button and delete the quoted text that you don't want. Just make sure that the quotation and end quotation tags are above and below the text that you're trying to highlight.

You can also remove the person's name that you're quoting and just start the quote by typing "[ quote ]" at the beginning of the text and "[ /quote ]" at the end (without added spaces between the bracket and the word "quote").

I know how to do that but I can't figure out how to get that little green arrow that points to the person I'm quoting and just isolate that quote in my reply. I'm an idiot I guess. Sadcryface

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
19-01-2016, 11:57 AM
(19-01-2016 11:31 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I know how to do that but I can't figure out how to get that little green arrow that points to the person I'm quoting and just isolate that quote in my reply. I'm an idiot I guess. Sadcryface

When you click reply it provides the text automatically; in this case it started with
[ quote='dancefortwo' pid='932716' dateline='1453224670' ]
that 'pid=number' part creates the little green arrow linking to the original post.

19-01-2016, 01:25 PM

Cheers
Steve

Are you using the "Reply" button? That automatically provides what you are looking for.

N.B. Don't use the "New Reply" button when you want to quote.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
19-01-2016, 01:42 PM
(19-01-2016 01:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Cheers
Steve

Are you using the "Reply" button? That automatically provides what you are looking for.

N.B. Don't use the "New Reply" button when you want to quote.

Another dumb question. What's the difference between the reply button and the quote button. The quote button doesn't do anything when I click it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-01-2016, 01:55 PM
(19-01-2016 01:42 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Another dumb question. What's the difference between the reply button and the quote button. The quote button doesn't do anything when I click it.

When you click the 'Quote' button it remembers and when you click New Reply it quotes every post that you have selected. It is a way to quote multiple posts at the same time.

21-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Thanks Peeps.

Think I've got it now. Press the proper button and then some others.
If anyone can muck it up it will be me.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Steve

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.