How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2015, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2015 11:16 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
RE: How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...
(20-03-2015 09:58 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  But doesn't that make the "atheists" agnostics?

I don't wanna sound rude guys but fuckin' hell am I the only one tired of amateur hour theists who don't even have the basics of Atheism down, especially when they try to tell me what my views are? Particularly the above. So bloody tired of explaining that you can be both an atheist and an agnostic to every single theist that wonders in here. There are so many resources on the internet, to actively NOT use them at this point is just annoying. these people should have to read a primer on Atheism before they can even post.

That's not to mention the other dozen or so categorical mistakes in thinking and just out and out falsehoods expressed in the rest of that post which I'm not even gonna get into. It's no wonder this guy is Catholic.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
20-03-2015, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2015 11:33 PM by Kaepora Gaebora.)
[Image: pnebZ7H.jpg]

Laramie, notice how there is nothing about FAITH in that definition or even the synonyms. LACK OF BELIEF is not FAITH. It is the DIRECT OPPOSITE.
[+] 2 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post
20-03-2015, 11:31 PM
(20-03-2015 11:10 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 09:58 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  But doesn't that make the "atheists" agnostics?

I don't wanna sound rude guys but fuckin' hell am I the only one tired of amateur hour theists who don't even have the basics of Atheism down, especially when they try to tell me what my views are? Particularly the above. So bloody tired of explaining that you can be both an atheist and an agnostic to every single theist that wonders in here. There are so many resources on the internet, to actively NOT use them at this point is just annoying. these people should have to read a primer on Atheism before they can even post.

You're not the only one. It is getting repetitive. It's an indicator of the doggedness of the misinformation that has probably stemmed from not having much of a voice before.

Note the recent thread where a new member's non-religious father even thought the definition of atheism was the "there is no god" position.

But the information is getting out there and it's your job to make sure everyone knows it.

So stop slacking Tongue

And no, I don't believe you when you say that you " don't wanna sound rude". You're good at 'rude'.

Keep it up. old boy.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
20-03-2015, 11:34 PM
(20-03-2015 10:44 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 10:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  

Okay. How about this one. Next week:

How are atheists religious? Do atheists have faith there is no God?

The two questions seem closely related enough.

Sound good? I'll be answering directly to you only.

You did not say that Atheists are religious you said that Atheism is a religion which implies that Atheism would still be considered a religion outside of any actions taken by atheists. I'm starting to hear the faint sound of a goal post being dragged around the pitch.
Atheism is simply answering the question "Do you believe in god?" with a "No.". That is it.

Your second question of "Do atheists have faith that there is no god?" betrays your complete and total lack of understanding of Atheism right down to it's basics level. The correct answer, which I already can tell your going to strawman to hell, is "No, for the simple fact that no person claiming a god exists has provided any evidence of his existence thus a rejection of the claims made by others is rational and in fact the only intellectually honest stance."
You have it in your head that if we don't know 100% he does not exist then not believing in him is an act of faith and it's just not. Even by the most elastic definition of faith it is not faith. We have demonstrable reasons for withholding our belief, and you have thus far failed to present any demonstrable reason for holding a belief. The fact that you and those like you can not provide a single bit of evidence for your position does not mean that those who require evidence to support your position suddenly stop acting on evidence and start acting on faith. We have no need to provide proof your god is not real at all, the burden of proof is entirely on you.

And this is all shit we have debunked a hundred times before with a hundred other bloody amateurs of the subject.

[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
20-03-2015, 11:41 PM
(20-03-2015 10:44 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 10:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  

Okay. How about this one. Next week:

How are atheists religious? Do atheists have faith there is no God?

The two questions seem closely related enough.

Sound good? I'll be answering directly to you only.

Atheism simplly means that we don't believe in god(s). There's no religion or worship.

I don't rely on faith for anything. I actually studied religions, I've read countless books on different religions. I've learned one thing they all have in common, they were all started by people -- men as a way to provide comfort, to explain what couldn't be understood, and to control the populace. They all have something in common; mythology.

They are based on older myths. Even Catholicism.

I'm not saying it hasn't contributed something wothwhile in art, music and architecture -- but I can admire a statue of Zeus too.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-03-2015, 11:41 PM
(20-03-2015 11:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 11:10 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I don't wanna sound rude guys but fuckin' hell am I the only one tired of amateur hour theists who don't even have the basics of Atheism down, especially when they try to tell me what my views are? Particularly the above. So bloody tired of explaining that you can be both an atheist and an agnostic to every single theist that wonders in here. There are so many resources on the internet, to actively NOT use them at this point is just annoying. these people should have to read a primer on Atheism before they can even post.

You're not the only one. It is getting repetitive. It's an indicator of the doggedness of the misinformation that has probably stemmed from not having much of a voice before.

Note the recent thread where a new member's non-religious father even thought the definition of atheism was the "there is no god" position.

But the information is getting out there and it's your job to make sure everyone knows it.

So stop slacking Tongue

And no, I don't believe you when you say that you " don't wanna sound rude". You're good at 'rude'.

Keep it up. old boy.

Big Grin

I know I know it's just the exact same errors in knowledge and thinking for every new theist that comes here. It's not really their fault truly, it's just how they were indoctrinated to think, but it's still so boringly predictable and time consuming.

If I'm ever made dictator in perpetuum of any country you can bet your ass the first thing I will make law is 3 years of mandatory classes in logic throughout High school. I can't even quantify how much that would help the species and how much less frustration I'd have haha

[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
20-03-2015, 11:46 PM
There ya go Laramie, the same thing has been said multiple times by many people.

No need to dig any deeper.

Just take it on faith. Laughat

Do I win the irony award for the week?

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
20-03-2015, 11:49 PM
(20-03-2015 11:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  There ya go Laramie, the same thing has been said multiple times by many people.

No need to dig any deeper.

Just take it on faith. Laughat

Do I win the irony award for the week?

Big Grin

You certainly should gets points for the smartass award too.
Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
20-03-2015, 11:56 PM
(20-03-2015 11:49 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 11:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Do I win the irony award for the week?

Big Grin

You certainly should gets points for the smartass award too.
Thumbsup

[Image: tumblr_mnu5h5zgaf1rnjh5ho1_500.gif?w=600&h=510]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-03-2015, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2015 12:08 AM by pablo.)
(20-03-2015 11:56 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 11:49 PM)pablo Wrote:  You certainly should gets points for the smartass award too.
Thumbsup

[Image: tumblr_mnu5h5zgaf1rnjh5ho1_500.gif?w=600&h=510]
And the Golden Donkey Award goes to...