How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2015, 12:07 AM
RE: How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...
(20-03-2015 11:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  There ya go Laramie, the same thing has been said multiple times by many people.

No need to dig any deeper.

Just take it on faith. Laughat

Do I win the irony award for the week?

Big Grin

You need to stop playing with your words.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-03-2015, 12:08 AM
(21-03-2015 12:02 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 11:56 PM)DLJ Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_mnu5h5zgaf1rnjh5ho1_500.gif?w=600&h=510]
And the Golden Donkey Award goes too...

Pablo!!

21-03-2015, 12:13 AM
(21-03-2015 12:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-03-2015 12:02 AM)pablo Wrote:  And the Golden Donkey Award goes too...

Pablo!!
I'm touched. Sadcryface
21-03-2015, 12:17 AM
(21-03-2015 12:13 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(21-03-2015 12:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Pablo!!
I'm touched. Sadcryface

Yes, yes you are.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-03-2015, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2015 01:37 AM by LaramieHirsch.)
fixed

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
21-03-2015, 01:11 AM
(21-03-2015 12:46 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  I have a response that is not posting. Is there a software error?

Strange...this is working. Why not my previous post?

You mean you typed a whole reply that turned up blank??

You might be missing a [quote] thingy.

Just post it, a mod can help tidy it. Or a user can see it in reply and maybe figure out the error. Smile

21-03-2015, 01:36 AM
(20-03-2015 11:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  You did not say that Atheists are religious you said that Atheism is a religion which implies that Atheism would still be considered a religion outside of any actions taken by atheists. I'm starting to hear the faint sound of a goal post being dragged around the pitch.

You're not reading closely enough tonight. Drinking Beverage I was responding to morondog's post #114

(20-03-2015 09:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  Another *heartfelt* explanation. Dodgy Come on dude. Why are atheists religious?

That's right. He asked "Why are atheists religious?" The goal posts have been picked up and dragged all over the field ever since I started posting here a couple of weeks ago. There's simply no where to focus at the moment. Which is why I'm insisting that I focus on one set of questions with only one of you.

(20-03-2015 11:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Atheism is simply answering the question "Do you believe in god?" with a "No.". That is it.

Atheism is more than this. Saying that you don't believe in God sets the path of your psychology, moral direction, and ultimately your eternal direction. That choice colors everything about you. So, there's a can of worms I'll never explain to you in full detail for you within a single night.

(20-03-2015 11:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Your second question of "Do atheists have faith that there is no god?" betrays your complete and total lack of understanding of Atheism right down to it's basics level. The correct answer, which I already can tell your going to strawman to hell, is No..."

Your answer betrays your complete, utter, and ultimate lack of understanding of your own Atheism. You say that no, you do not have faith that there is no God. But the truth is that yes, you do have faith that there is no God. What strawman did you think I was going to use?

Also, I am aware that atheists are familiar with theists who argue this--that atheists have their own faith. We just haven't gone down that road yet; you do not know to what extent I am familiar with the subject.

(20-03-2015 11:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  You have it in your head that if we don't know 100% he does not exist then not believing in him is an act of faith and it's just not. Even by the most elastic definition of faith it is not faith.

Speaking of moving goalposts. Now we must define faith?

(20-03-2015 11:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  We have demonstrable reasons for withholding our belief, and you have thus far failed to present any demonstrable reason for holding a belief.

Here, at TTA, I have not attempted to present demonstrable reasons for holding belief. You are lumping me in with the collective of Christians, rather than me as an individual. I don't know why you would think I've tried to do this--I've even stated in this thread I have not tried to do that. Not that I won't in the future. I might, if I'm inclined.

(20-03-2015 11:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  The fact that you and those like you can not provide a single bit of evidence for your position does not mean that those who require evidence to support your position suddenly stop acting on evidence and start acting on faith.

Once again, you lump me in with the collective. It's just as easy for me to lump you in with the collective of atheists, no matter how many times Chas will whine that you are all individuals and special little snowflakes.

You have no idea if I am capable of providing evidence for my position. You do not even know if I am interested in doing so.

(20-03-2015 11:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  We have no need to provide proof your god is not real at all, the burden of proof is entirely on you.

And I have no need, particularly with your attitude, to provide proof to you that God is quite real. The burden of seeking proof is entirely on your shoulders.

It's up to you to tune in. You don't feel like hearing the theists who come onto TTA, then butt out. It just doesn't seem like a surprise to me that theists would visit the Creationist folder. Plus, there's always this:

Quote:Please note, that this forum isn't just for atheists; it's for everyone, no matter what race, religion, gender or sexual preference. We have an open door policy and this level of freedom is not to everyone's taste.

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
21-03-2015, 01:59 AM
When you call out atheists for being religious/having faith, you have the burden of proof for that claim.

When you posit a claim of the existence of God, you have the burden of proof to prove it. We don't.

When you posit a claim of pink unicorns existing, you have the burden of proof to prove it. We don't.

A supernatural deity is something that is extraordinary, meaning it is not seen in day to day life, nor has their been proof of it. I don't come home and see God sitting on the front porch waiting for me. It would require extraordinary evidence on your part to prove otherwise to me.

Feel free to keep believing in your God; it's not a problem to anyone (until you start forcing your beliefs on others based on him; that is when there is problem). You don't have to provide evidence, but don't expect to convince anyone without it.
21-03-2015, 03:04 AM
(21-03-2015 01:59 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  When you call out atheists for being religious/having faith, you have the burden of proof for that claim.

I have no burden to prove anything whatsoever.

What? Shall I expect Leo to bear the burden of proof for backing up the supposed "lies" that he claims Catholicism presents as truths? (post #52) No. I expect such horseshit here. I do not expect Leo to break out a tome that catalogs the complete list of universal truths that Leo thinks are lies. My expectations for Leo are realistic.

I will bolster my claims in an actual engaged argument with morondog next week. For now, it's all just been directionless rhetoric and anklebiting between us all.

(21-03-2015 01:59 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  When you posit a claim of the existence of God, you have the burden of proof to prove it. We don't.

Burden of proof again? No. It is you who currently burdens himself with getting me to prove things. How many times must I say it? Have you even read this thread? I'm not proving a point in this thread. Read the OP. You keep assigning some sort of mission to me. As if I'm supposed to be the prototypical evangelist charging into the atheist forum to rescue you from Hell. I'm not.

There may be threads I try to prove a point in.

For example, over in the thread titled "evil," started by soul, I pretty much hammered home my point in post #196. "There is no evil for atheists. Only agreed upon consensus. Even then, if atheist, why care?" Mutual conclusions were reached with other TTA members. Even DLJ and I agreed on terminology. Naturally, those three sentences from a single post bloomed into a 30 page thread. But I expected the thread to blow up—and perhaps even create secondary threads (like this one). I believe a lot of folks here just like to chime in to be argumentative for argument's sake.

(21-03-2015 01:59 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  When you posit a claim of pink unicorns existing, you have the burden of proof to prove it. We don't.

Bullshit, once again. I am as inclined to prove pink unicorns as you are inclined to prove that a tree appeared out of nothing in your yard.

(21-03-2015 01:59 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  A supernatural deity is something that is extraordinary, meaning it is not seen in day to day life, nor has their been proof of it. I don't come home and see God sitting on the front porch waiting for me. It would require extraordinary evidence on your part to prove otherwise to me.

Well, when you try really really hard not to look for proof of a Creator, chances are that your laziness or deliberate ignorance will pay off. Also, you probably don't see God sitting on your front porch because He doesn't sit on front porches. What kind of expectations do you have for a Supreme Being? Is that what you think He should be doing?

(21-03-2015 01:59 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  Feel free to keep believing in your God; it's not a problem to anyone (until you start forcing your beliefs on others based on him; that is when there is problem). You don't have to provide evidence, but don't expect to convince anyone without it.

And to you, feel free to not believe in your God (until you start forcing your beliefs on others based on your denial of Him) though you will bow to Him one day by force. You do not have to provide evidence for your faith in His nonexistence, and don't expect to convince anyone without it.

-

-
21-03-2015, 06:10 AM
(21-03-2015 03:04 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  And to you, feel free to not believe in your God (until you start forcing your beliefs on others based on your denial of Him) though you will bow to Him one day by force. You do not have to provide evidence for your faith in His nonexistence, and don't expect to convince anyone without it.

That pretty much encapsulates your misunderstanding of atheism, burden of proof, and evidence.

You seem to believe in things for which there is no evidence. You claim that my lack of belief in those things is, somehow, a faith position. Consider

Then you compound those cognitive errors with a claim that I will 'bow to Him one day' but you have not yet provided any evidence that there is a 'Him' to bow to.

I am not trying to convince anyone of my 'faith in His nonexistence', I merely point out the utter lack of evidence for the existence of any gods, and argue that faith does not result in knowledge.

You are so mired in faith that you cannot think rationally.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post