How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 07:21 PM
RE: How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...
(08-04-2015 10:13 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  I still believe in what I believe--the Catholic Faith. However, at this point, I am starting to see how I believe, if that makes sense.

There is no such thing. Every Catholic has different ideas about what is important and true.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 07:40 PM
(25-03-2015 08:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 07:33 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  At some point in the future, I should ask TTA folks to define "atheist." I find that a lot of the basic foundational words tend to be perceived differently between the two camps.

It has been repeatedly defined here for you, but you have ignored it every time.

Are you stupid or dishonest?

I think it's both.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-04-2015, 07:49 PM
(08-04-2015 10:13 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 12:13 PM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  It would be a nice change to not see tired excuses and ignorance used as a shield, and for theist who claim to be seeking honest discussion to actually listen to the answers they get.

This describes me.

The attempt to pursue the "atheism is a religion" argument through if/then statements in the other thread failed. That thread is proof that I do not know how to argue against atheists, let alone talk with them.

I've been reconsidering that thread in the last handful of weeks. I cannot just be the kind of person who says "forget them, they're jerks," when previous conversations have clearly shown that the error in the discourse was mine. In the beginning of this thread, I pretty much stated that I don't know how to reach out to either Muslims or Protestants. It is clear I do not know how to reach out to atheists either.

Someone on here said to me this year that this place has many individuals who are at different levels of disbelief, that the members of TTA are not all the same, that some came here from a previous faith, or that some came here through honest secular questioning. Obviously, I have only been looking at 99% of the TTA members as some sort of unified collective borg, in which all of the members were clones of one another. So, I cannot even understand how to talk to atheists on an atheist forum.

I've been frustrated, too, by how difficult communicating on a forum can be. It is hard to focus on one voice. If you just talk with one person, or if you wait for that person to respond, you end up alienating other forum members, and they get upset. Sometimes the conversation drifts into a direction that takes the conversation off course. And 100% of the time, if you have a plan for how a thread will go, it fails immediately. These are lessons I've learned on other forums as well.

I think I will continue to disappoint Gordon Blue and other members, in that I will merely sound like the other theists who have come on here. I do not know how to defend my arguments to faithless people. I only have experience in conversation with fellow religious folks--and even then, I am not successful. I am not an apologist, an ideal "witness," a theologian, or a persuasive essayist. I'm just a regular guy.

My plan, in the future, is to hopefully recognize when I do not have an answer. For what it's worth, my time here on TTA has been educational for me. Yes, it has been difficult, most folks here hate my guts, and my beliefs are always challenged. However, if I just stayed safe in some enclave, I would not know what I know now. Make no mistake, I still believe in what I believe--the Catholic Faith. However, at this point, I am starting to see how I believe, if that makes sense.

Nobody hates your guts.

If you want to zoom in on one person, ask them to join you in the boxing ring. No one else is allowed to comment there.

The thing is that you look at us as atheists and not as people. You have to look at each person you talk to as an individual if you want to understand them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-04-2015, 07:52 PM
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but what makes the OP think non-catholics want him to reach out to them?
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
09-04-2015, 07:57 PM
(09-04-2015 07:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but what makes the OP think non-catholics want him to reach out to them?

Excellent question. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-04-2015, 08:09 PM
(09-04-2015 07:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 07:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but what makes the OP think non-catholics want him to reach out to them?

Excellent question. Drinking Beverage

Shitty question.

The OP does not think that.

Tsk, tsk... lazy Pablo.

:wags finger:

09-04-2015, 08:11 PM
(09-04-2015 08:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 07:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Excellent question. Drinking Beverage

Shitty question.

Tsk, tsk... lazy Pablo.

I skimmed.
Your girlfriend is gonna weep when I snap that finger off. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
09-04-2015, 08:17 PM
(09-04-2015 08:11 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 08:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Shitty question.

Tsk, tsk... lazy Pablo.

I skimmed.

Which one?

Cool

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-04-2015, 08:20 PM
(09-04-2015 08:17 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 08:11 PM)pablo Wrote:  I skimmed.

Which one?

Cool

The stinky one. Big Grin
09-04-2015, 08:20 PM
(09-04-2015 08:17 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 08:11 PM)pablo Wrote:  I skimmed.

Which one?

Cool

The one you're wagging. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user