How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 08:23 PM
RE: How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...
(09-04-2015 08:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 08:17 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Which one?

Cool

The stinky one. Big Grin

B-but all my girlfriends are sweetly fragrant. It's a selection criteria.

Cool

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-04-2015, 12:29 AM
(09-04-2015 08:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 08:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  The stinky one. Big Grin

B-but all my girlfriends are sweetly fragrant. It's a selection criteria.

Cool

You know when someone gives you flowers you're not supposed to fuck 'em...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-04-2015, 05:37 AM
The best advice I can give to a theist approaching an atheist is to own their beliefs. Say "I believe God did this, and the bible tells us this..." And then tell us why you believe that.

If instead you come in and just say stuff as if it's fact, you come off as kind of ridiculous.

"There is a god! He made everything!"

Some people seem literally unable to understand that point in my experience. They think if they just say stuff, it is true.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
10-04-2015, 06:53 AM
(10-04-2015 05:37 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  The best advice I can give to a theist approaching an atheist is to own their beliefs. Say "I believe God did this, and the bible tells us this..." And then tell us why you believe that.

If instead you come in and just say stuff as if it's fact, you come off as kind of ridiculous.

"There is a god! He made everything!"

Some people seem literally unable to understand that point in my experience. They think if they just say stuff, it is true.

Well, a lot of people in Church say this kinda thing. They get hella defensive even when (ostensibly) they're in Church with no one to challenge them. They say stuff like "Atheists (in between rapine and pillage) claim that God is dead (not really, but hey, let's demonize our opponent anyway), but *we know* that our God is the One True God and He Speaks To Us, Maranatha! Praise unto His Holy Name."

Yadda fucking yadda etcetera. I suppose for the weak of mind the more you say something the more you believe it Rolleyes

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-04-2015, 06:54 AM
Yep, they do and they are stupid. The more you wave around your absolute certainty, the more ignorant you show yourself to be.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
10-04-2015, 08:16 AM
(10-04-2015 06:54 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Yep, they do and they are stupid. The more you wave around your absolute certainty, the more ignorant you show yourself to be.

Are you certain about that?

Absolutely certain?

Angel

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
10-04-2015, 08:20 AM
(10-04-2015 08:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 06:54 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Yep, they do and they are stupid. The more you wave around your absolute certainty, the more ignorant you show yourself to be.

Are you certain about that?

Absolutely certain?

Angel

... You fucker Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-04-2015, 09:50 AM
I'm certainly not absolutely certain about it! The only thing I'm absolutely certain about is that I'm not absolutely certain about anything except this.

Bam! I exist. Probably. But I don't know what that means really.

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
16-04-2015, 07:00 PM
As far as answering the initial question of what can you do to reach out? Well, pretty much nothing.

There are over 30,000 sects of Christianity. Many of them Catholic or catholic like, many others with only slight variations etc. I would gauge to make a guess as to at least half of them all believe that all of the others are going to hell because they do not have the "secret jesus recipe" that they have. Their secret Jesus recipe involves a tiny pinch of cloves and garlic. Yours involves lime juice? WTF is up with that?! In their minds, you are obviously going to burn and scream and chock and cry forever and ever in hell for all eternity till the end of time and beyond.

Some of them are depraved enough to actually look forward to seeing you do so and laugh in your face for all eternity as they know this is going to happen to you since Satan is your best buddy and your praying the wrong way. There ARE people out there like this. The chances of your God existing is basically zero in our view and the chances that even if he does exist, your chances of having picked the right religion make it even smaller.

Really, not you nor any other theist have the right to evangelize. Many of you only do so to keep the church running and some do it only for profit alone. That is the whole point of having members really.

Considering that according to your faith and your services, that wine and crackers turn into "literal" blood and flesh and your suppose to devour this in some sort of ritualistic cannibalism is quite grotesque enough to many people. Then there is the problems with the churches priests and the concept of hell being the absolute pinnacle of evil, immorality, and the kind of barbaric depravity that only an ancient civilization from a time long past could ever think up of. After all, any being that is infinitely powerful AND intelligent AND had positive emotions such as love, kindness and gentleness would never had created a universe, a system such as the infinite reward vs infinite punishment system that has been presented to us through Christianity and all its sects, and the same goes of Jews and islam as well.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
16-04-2015, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2015 11:01 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(16-03-2015 12:17 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  I've thought about DLJ's question for a few days, now. I figured that the best way to answer his question--especially since it was off topic--was to just devote a new thread to it.

I can't promise I will be able to devote too much attention to this thread right now (I'll do what I can), since I'm already backlogged in another thread. But the internet's a wonderful place, in that you can just pick up where you left off quite a bit later from when you started it.

Here's how the exchange and question went:

(13-03-2015 07:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Since we have you here and you're here to probe, I hope you don't mind a little return-probing.

I know many people (colleagues) with this mindset. I'm sure you can guess my opinion of this narrow-mindedness but if you want to probe / confirm your guesses, feel free to ask... there are no 'atheist-only' sections on TTA, btw.

None of these people are catholics.

Incidentally, I know many people who use the 'label' of 'catholic' but without exception this is simply a recognition of the tradition within which they have been raised. Not a single one has read the bible and a subset (the majority) are confused when I describe them as christian... somewhere along the road, here, 'christian' has started to mean protestant. These are largely 'present-hedonists' because we're so close to the equator... see the first few minutes of the video below for a brief explanation of that.

No, the people to whom I refer who have the same mindset as you describe above are either non-catholic christians or muslims.

They seems to live in the past (e.g. bring back the Caliphate! or like that other SD-guy on the 'used-to-be-Respectul-to-Catholics thread' who pines for Vatican I) or the future (after-life, hell, etc.) after death is all that matters ... again, see video, below.

So my question is...

How would you go about explaining to them the error of their ways?

What techniques have you used and which have been successful?

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3oIiH7BLmg

I've watched the video you recommended. I would agree that it seems as though many non-Catholic Christians--which I just simply call Protestant--live in the past. I would say that also, perhaps yes, even the ultra-Traditionalist Catholics such as sedevacantists seem to live in the past.

But in terms of religion, you cannot simply blanket-label these denominations like that.

Let's take Muslims. Yes, it appears as though they live in the past for the past caliphates. But, if you pay attention to your daily news, you will read about how there are countless men from wealthy backgrounds in Western countries who are pouring into Iraq and Syria to bring about a new caliphate. They want a worldwide Islamic State, and they are diligently working to bring that reality to us all.

I will not be surprised if I start to see the destruction of many historical Catholic landmarks--including the Vatican--in my lifetime. The will of the West to oppose them is weak and pretty much non-existent.

I would say that the Muslims of today are diligently living in the future and working to achieve a planned goal.

What about Protestants? Again, some seem to live in the past. Take, for example, my old Baptist church. (I used to be Baptist.) The building is huge, and it costs a fortune to power it and keep it air-conditioned. Who pays for those bills? A small handful of old people who will not be with us much longer. They do not know how to get a youth program going, and last I left them, they did not know how to evangelize, let alone market themselves in the manner of a megachurch. The church's fate is sealed, and I don't know if it will last the decade. The people there live in the past.

Some protestant mega churches work and work their butts off to bring about material prosperity. We have all seen these. Joel Olsteen, anyone? Clearly, these organizations are future-oriented. They hire marketing strategists to rope in more people to attend their stadiums, and thus they increase their income inflow.

Sedevacantists? A lot of them appear to be living in the past, as you said. But the key word is "appear." It seems that many of them are working in different ways to enlarge their numbers. It is true that the sedes do not appear to be future-oriented--but that may be because they believe it is now up to God, at this point, to set the world right. Myself, I see no harm in trying to improve the world or the Church, but a lot of them are sitting on their hands.

I'd say that for practicing and faithful Catholics--and probably a few non-Catholics out there who I have not seen--these people also live for the future. But their work and toil involves prayer, and their currency is spiritual grace. Such people are working to invest in Heaven. In my personal life, I don't know too many people who are like this. I try to be this way, but I know I fail the standards I set for myself quite often. Still, I try.

Now, you asked me what strategies I use to reach out to these people?

My answer? I have no idea. I haven't figured out a single strategy yet.

When it comes to religion, I do not really think I have convinced too many people at all. Lord knows, I've tried. But the world is not filled with ignorant people. Most people have made up their minds about these matters, and it is up to individuals to decide to listen to others. I have never been able to convince either a friend, co-worker, or colleague on the internet to change.

Different people have different priorities, and they get irritated if you try to tell them what their priorities should be. Most people live in the present and just don't give a care. So, what can ya do? Such is life.

Maybe apologetics is not what God meant for me, and it's beyond my station in life. I don't know.

I will "witness" whenever I see it is called for. But no one calls for it. In fact, after my conversion, most of my friends have been careful ever since to not bring up religion or ask me why I believe what I believe (it's been 14 years, now). Converting to the Church has ostracized me from most of my friends and family. Is there any "reaching out" to that? Nah. I tried a time or two, but I just got dismissal in return.

Really ? It wouldn't have anything to do with your freaky political views, now would it. I mean really.
We need a king. Then all will be well. That's perfectly reasonable.
What a good way to reach out to non-Catholics. Tell them they need a king. Of course it would have to be a Catholic king. Thumbsup

Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post