How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2015, 11:12 PM
RE: How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...
(16-03-2015 07:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why'd ya feel the need to be Catholic, if you don't mind my asking? I mean... what's so wrong with any other flavour of Christianity?

Not enough cannibalism? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2015, 12:21 AM
(16-03-2015 07:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-03-2015 12:17 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  When it comes to religion, I do not really think I have convinced too many people at all. Lord knows, I've tried. But the world is not filled with ignorant people.
There you go. Since you can see that the rest of us are not in fact the misguided children the Church insists that we are... that's about it. We don't *need* to be told stuff... But ja, that's a primary meme that the church sells to its members, the idea that the unsaved just need a good strong talking to and they'll see things your way.

Ha! I see. The wording.

At the time, I was imaging a pagan world that had never heard of Christianity. People were ignorant of what Christianity was. But... Joke's already passed me by at this point.

(16-03-2015 07:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  What did you convert *from*? Oh wait you already said you used to be a Baptist... At least it seems you've retained some friends. Bit rough that the rest of them seem to have kept you at arms' length Undecided Why'd ya feel the need to be Catholic, if you don't mind my asking? I mean... what's so wrong with any other flavour of Christianity?

Why Catholic?

A lot of reasons. I suppose one major frustration at the time was the fact that you could get a different message from any different preacher you went to go visit. Plus, the whole "once you're saved, you're always saved" concept seemed ridiculous and contradictory to other Bible verses. I also wanted to go to where the scriptures originated from.

Another thing that struck me at the time was the fact that the Church was the primary institution that drove out demons from possessed people. Most other bubble gum Protestant denominations seemed to lack that special kind of supernatural authority.

But ultimately, I could see a direct link to the malevolent hate that Christ endured, and the same kind of bent disgust for the Church He instituted. Once I saw that parallel, I made my decision.

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
17-03-2015, 12:25 AM
(17-03-2015 12:21 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  Another thing that struck me at the time was the fact that the Church was the primary institution that drove out demons from possessed people. Most other bubble gum Protestant denominations seemed to lack that special kind of supernatural authority.

[Image: spock-nope.gif]

17-03-2015, 12:29 AM
(17-03-2015 12:21 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  Why Catholic?

A lot of reasons. I suppose one major frustration at the time was the fact that you could get a different message from any different preacher you went to go visit. Plus, the whole "once you're saved, you're always saved" concept seemed ridiculous and contradictory to other Bible verses. I also wanted to go to where the scriptures originated from.
Ever consider Judaism? Wink

Quote:Another thing that struck me at the time was the fact that the Church was the primary institution that drove out demons from possessed people. Most other bubble gum Protestant denominations seemed to lack that special kind of supernatural authority.
Um... sorry? What? Demons? Have you ever seen a demon?

Quote:But ultimately, I could see a direct link to the malevolent hate that Christ endured, and the same kind of bent disgust for the Church He instituted. Once I saw that parallel, I made my decision.
... Everyone hates the church therefore it must be good...

Eish. I dunno man. Seems a pretty tenous thing to change your whole life around over. But ja, whatever floats your boat.

Is there a personal God in Catholicism? Does he talk to people? Or does he talk to priests and then priests talk to people? I mean... is there that same kinda "I felt that this was God's plan" justification for life decisions?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-03-2015, 12:47 AM
(17-03-2015 12:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-03-2015 12:21 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  Another thing that struck me at the time was the fact that the Church was the primary institution that drove out demons from possessed people. Most other bubble gum Protestant denominations seemed to lack that special kind of supernatural authority.
Um... sorry? What? Demons? Have you ever seen a demon?

They're like, in the water man! But they're invisible man! It's why the government put fluoride in the water, it's cause demons feed on it man! It's the demons that control the government man! Don't you see man!? OH NOES THEY GOT TO YOU TOO SHEEPLE!?

[Image: index.jpg]

17-03-2015, 12:47 AM
(17-03-2015 12:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  Ever consider Judaism? Wink

Nah. I used to be a Zionist. I grew out of it. Especially after I learned about the Talmud.

(17-03-2015 12:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  Um... sorry? What? Demons? Have you ever seen a demon?

I read about them a lot. Our diocese has an exorcist whose lectures and writes books I enjoy.

Have I seen a demon? I've seen some really weird and disturbing things about three times in my life. Fun stuff.

(17-03-2015 12:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... Everyone hates the church therefore it must be good...

Eish. I dunno man. Seems a pretty tenous thing to change your whole life around over. But ja, whatever floats your boat.

If worse comes to worse, I'll never know I was wrong. What do I have to lose?

(17-03-2015 12:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  Is there a personal God in Catholicism? Does he talk to people? Or does he talk to priests and then priests talk to people? I mean... is there that same kinda "I felt that this was God's plan" justification for life decisions?

Yes.

Generally, a faithful Catholic should work to increase and enhance that personal relationship with Jesus that you always hear the Protestants talk about. Catholics haven't been too good about promoting that idea in the last 60 years.

Does God talk? Sure.

There are many recorded instances of mystical encounters throughout Church history. God, Christ's mother, as well as angels have communicated to both clergy and laity. Such famous encounters are usually accompanied with a miracle or two. Typically, such an encounter is not accepted as factual unless it has miracles to accompany it.

Does God talk to priests like He's on the phone with them on a daily, weekly, or annual basis? Nah. There may be an exception I never heard of, though. It's a big world. (I doubt it, though. Wouldn't match the pattern of mystical visits.)

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
17-03-2015, 12:48 AM
(17-03-2015 12:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-03-2015 12:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  Um... sorry? What? Demons? Have you ever seen a demon?

They're like, in the water man! But they're invisible man! It's why the government put fluoride in the water, it's cause demons feed on it man! It's the demons that control the government man! Don't you see man!? OH NOES THEY GOT TO YOU TOO SHEEPLE!?

This used to be ggreg's avatar over at SD.

-

-
17-03-2015, 12:50 AM
(17-03-2015 12:48 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  
(17-03-2015 12:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  They're like, in the water man! But they're invisible man! It's why the government put fluoride in the water, it's cause demons feed on it man! It's the demons that control the government man! Don't you see man!? OH NOES THEY GOT TO YOU TOO SHEEPLE!?

This used to be ggreg's avatar over at SD.

[Image: large-shirt-mos-eisley-wretched-hive-of-...parody.jpg]

You won't find a better place, excluding the Vatican of course.

17-03-2015, 01:35 AM
Well, I'm convinced.

Where do I sign up?

Dodgy

17-03-2015, 01:42 AM
(17-03-2015 01:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Well, I'm convinced.

Where do I sign up?

Dodgy

Follow the sounds of wailing children? Consider