How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2015, 01:57 AM
RE: How do I (a Catholic) reach out to non-Catholics...
FFS, demonic possession and all that jazz just further stigmatizes those with mental illness and may prevent them from getting actual treatment.

Just because a person is babbling on about how they're the true messiah, seeing blood and unseen spirits in the room, while drawing upside down crosses on the walls with their poo does not mean they are possessed by a goddamn demon - it's called schizophrenia. (Or perhaps they're high on PCP - there's a reason every psych patient gets a drug screen.) They get drugs like haldol and geodon, and then whaddya know - they stop hearing voices and playing with their poo. Dodgy

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Nurse's post
17-03-2015, 02:04 AM
(17-03-2015 01:57 AM)Nurse Wrote:  FFS, demonic possession and all that jazz just further stigmatizes those with mental illness and may prevent them from getting actual treatment.

Just because a person is babbling on about how they're the true messiah, seeing blood and unseen spirits in the room, while drawing upside down crosses on the walls with their poo does not mean they are possessed by a goddamn demon - it's called schizophrenia. (Or perhaps they're high on PCP - there's a reason every psych patient gets a drug screen.) They get drugs like haldol and geodon, and then whaddya know - they stop hearing voices and playing with their poo. Dodgy

Well, then clearly Satan is influencing Big Pharma in a world wise conspiracy to hide the agents of his will! Those drugs are the tools of the devil!

[Image: tinfoil.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-03-2015, 03:11 AM
(17-03-2015 01:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-03-2015 01:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Well, I'm convinced.

Where do I sign up?

Dodgy

Follow the sounds of wailing children? Consider

I think the Navy sounds more exciting. Winston Churchill said it was nothing but "rum, buggery and the lash". Much more fun than mumblings, buggery and a crucifix.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-03-2015, 03:13 AM
(17-03-2015 01:57 AM)Nurse Wrote:  FFS, demonic possession and all that jazz just further stigmatizes those with mental illness and may prevent them from getting actual treatment.

Nonono you see the drugs are miraculous substances possessed of virtuous humours and drive the demons out Weeping

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
17-03-2015, 07:06 AM
(17-03-2015 12:21 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  Why Catholic?

A lot of reasons. I suppose one major frustration at the time was the fact that you could get a different message from any different preacher you went to go visit.

That should be a big red flag and I don't understand how you don't see the same from Catholic priests.

Quote:Plus, the whole "once you're saved, you're always saved" concept seemed ridiculous and contradictory to other Bible verses.

Agreed

Quote:I also wanted to go to where the scriptures originated from.

The groups writing the early Christian scriptures evolved into the Catholic church but, as I understand it, is more like they are the sect that won out over various competing versions.

Quote:Another thing that struck me at the time was the fact that the Church was the primary institution that drove out demons from possessed people. Most other bubble gum Protestant denominations seemed to lack that special kind of supernatural authority.

It is alarming that anybody in 2015 can actually believe that demons exist or need to be driven out.

Quote:But ultimately, I could see a direct link to the malevolent hate that Christ endured, and the same kind of bent disgust for the Church He instituted. Once I saw that parallel, I made my decision.

You have a martyrdom complex? That would actually explain a lot of your posts.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
17-03-2015, 09:25 AM
(16-03-2015 01:14 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  Well, Chas, as I said, the majority of people are said to be going to go down the broad path to Hell, so that means I will statistically see few converts. Plus, there is a lot of diversions out there in this age of modern leisure distractions. All one can do is hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

What do you think about a god who created a population of beloved children who he intends mostly to go to eternal suffering?

Additional note - Someone on your ignore list cannot reply to your PMs.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
17-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Sorry quick question: Are you asking about how you reach out to other denominations of Christians and make them Catholic, making athiest or those who self identify as "agnostic" Catholic or a combination of both? Because my answers are radically different depending on your answer.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
17-03-2015, 07:45 PM
(16-03-2015 11:02 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  
(16-03-2015 05:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  OK. Thanks for the honest response.

So it would appear that convincing the narrow-minded that their fixed beliefs are taking them down the wrong path is not as easy as showing them that there is no fixed path.

Food for thought.

Cheers.

Two vast ideas come into my mind when you say this.

#1 I'd like to reciprocate:

It appears that convincing the broad-minded that their unfixed beliefs are taking them down the wrong path is not as easy as showing them that there is a fixed path.

(Meh. I'm wrong on that, too. Just a play with words. It's hard to show the former a fixed path as well. So...it's hard to convince people they're wrong, and it's hard to demonstrate a fixed path. People are the way they are.)

#2. Clear your mind for a moment.

Okay. Let's re-read what you told me:

Quote:it would appear that convincing the narrow-minded that their fixed beliefs are taking them down the wrong path is not as easy as showing them that there is no fixed path

So, here you are saying that it is easy to show someone that there is no fixed path.

Ironically enough, Pope Francis tries to show people there is no fixed path in a lot of round-about ways. He is very liberal, and shows himself unconcerned with converting people into the Church.

One time, he was talking with an Anglican priest. The Anglican mentioned something about having Anglicans convert into the Roman Catholic Church, and Pope Francis laughed and said, "Oh! I like you just as you are! No need to convert!"

Pope Francis is what you call "ecumenical." He's the kind of guy who likes to play the "everybody's right, live and let live" card.

In your words, Pope Francis likes to "show that there is no fixed path."

What has the effect been? Liberal (seemingly unfaithful) Catholics love him, and the secular populations love him. Meanwhile, traditional (seemingly faithful) Catholics feel abandoned and abused by him.

The conservatives have become more calloused, and the liberals have become emboldened.

Actually the Catholic Church has NEVER said there is a "fixed path". There is now, and always has been room (in their Catechism) for sincere interpretations. This dude NEVER took even one course in Moral Theology from his own cult.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-03-2015, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2015 09:45 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(17-03-2015 12:21 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  Why Catholic?

A lot of reasons. I suppose one major frustration at the time was the fact that you could get a different message from any different preacher you went to go visit.

Pretty much the way it is with any 10 priests you care to visit. The myth that they all think alike, or in the privacy of the confessional all say the same thing is utterly false. The real question is, why (does anyone NEED to) put yourself in a passive stance with respect to ultimate truths. Why not go get an education, and think for yourself, instead of visiting sooth-sayers, fortune-tellers, priests and preachers ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-03-2015, 11:50 PM
(17-03-2015 12:42 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Sorry quick question: Are you asking about how you reach out to other denominations of Christians and make them Catholic, making athiest or those who self identify as "agnostic" Catholic or a combination of both? Because my answers are radically different depending on your answer.

I'm not asking how to reach out, actually. The question in the thread title is something that DLJ asked me in another thread. I thought it was a good question, and I thought on it for a few days before answering. I figured the question deserved its own thread.

Actually, though, I'm curious about the two answers you're hinting at. What were you going to suggest?

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-