How do I convince a Christian that genocide is always immoral?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 03:21 AM
RE: How do I convince a Christian that genocide is always immoral?
(23-06-2017 02:47 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  How.do.they.know.they.are.listening.to.god.and.not.satan?

"Ye shall know the tree by it's fruit" and "From the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks". i.e. as long as what the voices in their head say (or the voices in the priest's head say) goes along with "Good" (which they don't realise is just their stupid opinion and not some universal absolute) then it must be *God* speaking.

These eejits have a terrifyingly simplistic logic.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-06-2017, 05:07 AM
Hmm, I wonder...

What happens to the souls of the babies that get slaughtered "because they would have grown up to be evil"? Do they get a pass and go to heaven?

What about everyone else who got slaughtered? Presumably they don't get a pass, nor will they have the chance to "come around" and redeem themselves.

What a bollock factory this God character is.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
23-06-2017, 05:08 AM
(23-06-2017 03:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 02:47 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  How.do.they.know.they.are.listening.to.god.and.not.satan?

"Ye shall know the tree by it's fruit" and "From the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks". i.e. as long as what the voices in their head say (or the voices in the priest's head say) goes along with "Good" (which they don't realise is just their stupid opinion and not some universal absolute) then it must be *God* speaking.

But they are imperfect, evil sinners, who cant judge good or evil. So they cant judge their own feelings and intuitions. Thats why they need a god to tell them what good is. So how do they know its God and not Satan talking in their heads and in their scripture?
If "overflow of the heart (jesus, what bullshit)" is meant to mean god has indeed written "good" in their heart, then they dont need God to additionally tell them whats good. Then their "heart" is good enough.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
23-06-2017, 06:51 AM
It is interesting how this Universe, created and controlled by a perfect, moral, loving God, seems to be exactly like a Universe that has no God at all. The Torah tells us that God came down to mankind, spoke to mankind, performed great spectacles witnessed by mankind, but now is absent. One would expect the old style God to occasionally make an appearance to save the world. For example telling us to drop Islam as a cruel non-religion, stop the warring et al. Why is God laying down on the job? Why the genocides of today in Yemen, South Sudan et al?

The problem with Christians is they think God is good. So if God commanded genocides of old, that genocide must be good. Of course, archaeology has demonstrated the tales of the conquest if Canaan are fable with no truth in them. Those genocides happened only on paper.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
23-06-2017, 08:07 AM
(23-06-2017 06:51 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  The Torah tells us that God came down to mankind, spoke to mankind, performed great spectacles witnessed by mankind, but now is absent.

It's all part of his plan. Well, his to-do list, anyway Drinking Beverage

[Image: 3FR4Yj6.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 8 users Like Vera's post
23-06-2017, 08:10 AM
(23-06-2017 05:08 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 03:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  "Ye shall know the tree by it's fruit" and "From the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks". i.e. as long as what the voices in their head say (or the voices in the priest's head say) goes along with "Good" (which they don't realise is just their stupid opinion and not some universal absolute) then it must be *God* speaking.

But they are imperfect, evil sinners, who cant judge good or evil. So they cant judge their own feelings and intuitions. Thats why they need a god to tell them what good is. So how do they know its God and not Satan talking in their heads and in their scripture?
If "overflow of the heart (jesus, what bullshit)" is meant to mean god has indeed written "good" in their heart, then they dont need God to additionally tell them whats good. Then their "heart" is good enough.

Don't go bringing logic to a religion fight Tongue

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-06-2017, 08:12 AM
(23-06-2017 12:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  Suffering helps us to grow Dodgy I can do this shit all fucking day. Insert ridiculous "mysterious ways" quote with reference to Bible verse. Insert head into rectum.

(Sorry for multiposting)

Was literally told that a woman who just lost her two-year-old to cancer (she got pregnant during the ordeal and apparently that's a gift from god, glory fucking be!) is going to do great things... apparently, because she's suffered so much [Image: wall.gif]

I want to believe this is just people not really thinking... but how can you see the often excruciating suffering of others and just because you've had some (lesser) problems in your life, say: Nah, it's all for the best in this best of all possible worlds... The lack of empathy is STAGGERING.

Wait a minute, didn't I recently post a thread on this Consider

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
23-06-2017, 08:15 AM
(23-06-2017 08:12 AM)Vera Wrote:  is going to do great things... apparently, because she's suffered so much

If she doesn't go on to do great things then it was God's mysterious plan all along, to show his glory through her suffering. Or some such bullshit Dodgy There's a vacuous platitude for every situation Angry

[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
23-06-2017, 08:55 AM
(23-06-2017 08:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  If she doesn't go on to do great things then it was God's mysterious plan all along, to show his glory through her suffering. Or some such bullshit Dodgy There's a vacuous platitude for every situation Angry

Oh yeah, the relatives of a friend lost their child and that was god's way of bringing them to him. Is it just me or does this Jesus bloke sound a lot like a mafia boss, lean on him before he leans on you, Don "Thornface" Christeone Dodgy

[Image: small_img.php?t=1498229420&times...size=small]

23-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Probably been said way too many times, but if you have to convince somebody that Genocide is Wrong....you probably should stop talking to them.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 4 users Like OakTree500's post