How do I deal with religion at school?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2011, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 10:54 AM by DaylightDusk.)
How do I deal with religion at school?
So I have noticed about everyday is see about 40 posters that say "I heart Jesus" or "Jesus=Epic" or bible verses that talk about non believers will burn in hell fire. I am starting to get very irate with it, i want it to slow it down a little. They dont realize there are other religions at this school. So what can i do to fight this cause, im lost Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2011, 11:22 AM
RE: How do I deal with religion at school?
I'd get myself kicked out ripping down posters. Prolly don't want my advice. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-11-2011, 11:33 AM
(14-11-2011 11:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'd get myself kicked out ripping down posters. Prolly don't want my advice. Wink

Get a fail stamp and smack them with it when no one is looking. That is a lot easier to get away with.
[+] 5 users Like mysticjbyrd's post
14-11-2011, 12:22 PM
If it's a religious or private school, there may not be much you can do about it. But public schools shouldn't be supporting signs like that, even if they're being put up by students. Especially the verse talking about burning in hell.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
[+] 3 users Like Glaucus's post
14-11-2011, 02:21 PM

houseofcantor: If he had the balls, he probably would. If I was a part of the male race, I would. Smile

mysticjbyrd: I think that this an amazing idea. I might look into that. Wink

Glaucus: It is a public school, also the school that I & itsFerdinand go to. They put Christian signs up constantly & I honestly have to agree that it is very annoying.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like calmyourtitsbro's post
14-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Uh oh, DD... you have been called out. Are you "without sack?" Inquiring minds wanna know! Big Grin

(I got away with a lot of shit in school cause the teachers knew I had a fat ol' IQ and they really couldn't do shit to me. One must "validate sackness" with a full understanding of chains of causality.)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
14-11-2011, 03:56 PM
(14-11-2011 10:41 AM)DaylightDusk Wrote:  So I have noticed about everyday is see about 40 posters that say "I heart Jesus" or "Jesus=Epic" or bible verses that talk about non believers will burn in hell fire. I am starting to get very irate with it, i want it to slow it down a little. They dont realize there are other religions at this school. So what can i do to fight this cause, im lost Sad

I guess you are like me. I just noticed more churches in my home country when I went back for holiday. One area with 6 different churches...WTF!

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
14-11-2011, 04:26 PM

(14-11-2011 10:41 AM)DaylightDusk Wrote:  So I have noticed about everyday is see about 40 posters that say "I heart Jesus" or "Jesus=Epic" or bible verses that talk about non believers will burn in hell fire. I am starting to get very irate with it, i want it to slow it down a little. They dont realize there are other religions at this school. So what can i do to fight this cause, im lost Sad

You can put up your own posters. I would recommend against defacing the existing posters. As much as they annoy you, there is a lot of backlash that comes with destroying them that will erode any support you may have otherwise had among the faculty.

You could create a secular club. If you get enough student and faculty support you can always put pressure on the school board to abide by the 1st amendment.

I would say it is a last resort, but if you get stone walled in every other avenue you can always sue. I forget the organization off the top of my head, but there is one that takes child like glee in suing school districts so that they abide by the constitution.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Infinite Possibilities's post
14-11-2011, 04:38 PM
(14-11-2011 04:26 PM)Infinite Possibilities Wrote:  

You can put up your own posters. I would recommend against defacing the existing posters. As much as they annoy you, there is a lot of backlash that comes with destroying them that will erode any support you may have otherwise had among the faculty.

You could create a secular club. If you get enough student and faculty support you can always put pressure on the school board to abide by the 1st amendment.

I would say it is a last resort, but if you get stone walled in every other avenue you can always sue. I forget the organization off the top of my head, but there is one that takes child like glee in suing school districts so that they abide by the constitution.

This is probably the best way to counter. Religious groups go unchallenged in public schools when students don't form groups with non-religious purposes. Form a group of your own to promote science, learning, critical thinking, philosophy etc. Once you have formed your group through the appropriate channels, you can promote your group the same way that the religious organizations do- put up your own posters, keep them civil of course. Either the school will allow it, or they will not allow it. If they don't allow it contact the ACLU- a strongly worded letter from the ACLU might remind them of their legal options.

They can either allow all religious and non-religious organizations to put up posters, or none of them.

Plus, there's the added benefit of having such an organization to promote friendship, learning, and community health. If you ever need help finding a topic for your group to discuss, come to these forums where there are plenty of threads with excellent discussion topics.
14-11-2011, 04:39 PM

I would surf the internet and find all the juicy bible verses about women, slavery, homosexuals etc. and start some posting on my own. A good start would be to post this next to the "I heart Jesus" (which I assume a girl madeBig Grin):

1 Corinthians 11:7
For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of man.

If you go to a public school and you have to live with this, I will assume you live in the good old US of fucking A, and everybody will start to cry freedom of religion/speech or whatever if somebody complained. It's so much easier to just do exactly what they are doingBig Grin

EDIT: Of course this wouldn’t solve anything, but I tend to fight fire with fireTongue