How do I deal with religion at school?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2011, 04:47 PM
RE: How do I deal with religion at school?
(14-11-2011 04:39 PM)Jakel Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 10:41 AM)DaylightDusk Wrote:  So I have noticed about everyday is see about 40 posters that say "I heart Jesus" or "Jesus=Epic" or bible verses that talk about non believers will burn in hell fire. I am starting to get very irate with it, i want it to slow it down a little. They dont realize there are other religions at this school. So what can i do to fight this cause, im lost Sad

I would surf the internet and find all the juicy bible verses about women, slavery, homosexuals etc. and start some posting on my own. A good start would be to post this next to the "I heart Jesus" (which I assume a girl madeBig Grin):

1 Corinthians 11:7
For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of man.

If you go to a public school and you have to live with this, I will assume you live in the good old US of fucking A, and everybody will start to cry freedom of religion/speech or whatever if somebody complained. It's so much easier to just do exactly what they are doingBig Grin

EDIT: Of course this wouldn’t solve anything, but I tend to fight fire with fireTongue

haha thats great idea.
Do this, and maybe make the secular club too...but chances are they will just shoot you down. I know I was shot down in High school when I tried to form a club, and I offered to supply everything, including an adult for supervision.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I'd just remind the school board that it's a public school and that religious promotion is not allowed, unless they're going to represent everyone. Get them to have a big old school assembly to remind everyone of that.

I wish I was back in high school, so I could do exactly that AND start a secular group. I didn't realize I was an atheist at that time, I just thought religious people were a little weird. We had a very large Christian Fellowship club at our school, and it would've been interesting to debate them or something. Dodgy
14-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Um... If you're American then it's illegal to promote religion on school property at all. Completely illegal. It's in your constitution. File a formal complaint with whatever branch of government handles that for you.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2011, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2011 09:27 AM by DaylightDusk.)
(14-11-2011 12:22 PM)Glaucus Wrote:  If it's a religious or private school, there may not be much you can do about it. But public schools shouldn't be supporting signs like that, even if they're being put up by students. Especially the verse talking about burning in hell.

Its a public school

Thank you guys. I will find something out, i just get really fustrated seeing all these Christianity signs allllllllll the time SadSad
15-11-2011, 09:32 AM
(14-11-2011 06:40 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Um... If you're American then it's illegal to promote religion on school property at all. Completely illegal. It's in your constitution. File a formal complaint with whatever branch of government handles that for you.

Come to America (we live in Alabama) and tell our government otherwise. People hang religious posters up all over our school. When I was in Intermediate school (gone to the same school daylightdusk goes to all my life) they gave us little red new testaments. However, I'm sure that if Atheists hung their opinions on posters around the school, the administrators would take a different turn to it.
[+] 4 users Like itsFerdinand's post
15-11-2011, 09:57 AM
(14-11-2011 04:26 PM)Infinite Possibilities Wrote:  I would say it is a last resort, but if you get stone walled in every other avenue you can always sue. I forget the organization off the top of my head, but there is one that takes child like glee in suing school districts so that they abide by the constitution.

It's called the ACLU.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-11-2011, 10:03 AM
(15-11-2011 09:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 04:26 PM)Infinite Possibilities Wrote:  I would say it is a last resort, but if you get stone walled in every other avenue you can always sue. I forget the organization off the top of my head, but there is one that takes child like glee in suing school districts so that they abide by the constitution.

It's called the ACLU.

I joined it lol
15-11-2011, 10:09 AM
(15-11-2011 09:32 AM)itsFerdinand Wrote:  
(14-11-2011 06:40 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Um... If you're American then it's illegal to promote religion on school property at all. Completely illegal. It's in your constitution. File a formal complaint with whatever branch of government handles that for you.

Come to America (we live in Alabama) and tell our government otherwise. People hang religious posters up all over our school. When I was in Intermediate school (gone to the same school daylightdusk goes to all my life) they gave us little red new testaments. However, I'm sure that if Atheists hung their opinions on posters around the school, the administrators would take a different turn to it.

Huh. I'm in Canada and I recieved small red bibles in my publis elementary school. I ate it in front of the old geezers that handed them out. It gave me indigestion.

Anyways. You should follow others advice and actually do something. The level of action you take is up to you as we don't know the community and cannot judge their reactions.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
15-11-2011, 11:57 AM
(15-11-2011 09:32 AM)itsFerdinand Wrote:  

There it is there - Alabama. The "United States" doesn't always mean united, and each state has a lot of leeway in how shit should be run.

If it was like Massachusetts, it'd be easy peasy; but Alabama, you got an uphill slog. All there is to it.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
15-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah we used to get little red Gideon bibles every year in elementary school too! I loved them an te Gideon people loved me too. Until about grade four also oddly enough the last year they came to our school. I remember asking questions about Noah and some other stuff. I can barely remember what they said as a response but I do remember my teacher smiling and saying something along the lines of "if only all the kids had those kinds of critical questions then these people wouldn't be here" and I didn't get it yet.
Before you ask I only liked the bibles because I have a love for books. They were nice too. Leather the first two times. Plus I felt like there was something special within the bible I just wasn't sure of what until years later. I found out there was something special in the bible but u had the wrong special. The one in there is surrounded by quotation marks. "special" wink wink nod nod.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post