How do I get rid of the guilt of Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2016, 02:52 PM
How do I get rid of the guilt of Christianity?
So I was indoctranated as a child and still feel the guilt. I can do normal day activities just fine, but whenever religion comes up I have the feeling of shame because I don't believe it. It feels like God is going to strike me at any moment. Whenever I ask a Christian about the quotes I'm dealing with, they stick their fingers in their ears and say "La La La, I'm not listening." Should I really feel like the guilty one here?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2016, 03:12 PM
RE: How do I get rid of the guilt of Christianity?
(13-05-2016 02:52 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  Should I really feel like the guilty one here?

No, obviously not.

It's not uncommon to feel that sense of withdraw. The way the system is built, is to keep it's members in line.

What helped me get threw it was this.

If God cared (and exsited) enough he would step in to console you.
If God all it took was some simple questions to make God turn his back on you to punish you for all eternity. Is that a god you would really wont to worship?

If you had sincere worries and when you looked towards people that are on his "team" and all you get is the cold shoulder, or deaf's ear's. Is that a group you want to be a part of?

My thought's on the matter is if God's existed. And have no interest in showing themselves. Then I have no interest in looking for them. Because even if I found that they did existed. Who, what, are they. Just because their more powerful then me are they worth of my complete obedience?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
13-05-2016, 03:53 PM
I often feel the same way. The way I try to think of it is just to be as rational as possible. I'm guessing you didn't just wake up one day and say, "I think I'll be an atheist from now on!" If you're anything like me (and I realize that you may not be), you came to atheism through a process of doubting, questioning, and being honest with yourself about what does and doesn't make sense to you. You may have tried to believe and even asked God to help you believe. If that's the case, I don't think there's any more that you could have done. If God existed and wanted you to believe, he would have made that happen (unless he's not as powerful as he claims).
I see no reason to blame yourself or feel guilty within that scenario. And in my own experience, time tends to help those feelings go away a bit.
13-05-2016, 06:59 PM
This happens to me a lot since I live around Christians all the time. Don't worry, though. You haven't done anything wrong. Hug
As time passes and you learn more, it should fade away I think. I'm in this same process.

☆☆☆
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
13-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Quote:It feels like God is going to strike me at any moment

Since he's not real that's not only unlikely but impossible.

And if he suddenly does become real I'll urinate on him and when he's distracted you cut his head off! That'll learn him!!!
13-05-2016, 07:09 PM
(13-05-2016 02:52 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  It feels like God is going to strike me at any moment. ... Should I really feel like the guilty one here?

Religious indoctrination is intentionally being done on so many levels that it is very difficult to "just leave".
You might not believe some things any longer but others you might still be in doubt.
The walls that your indoctrination has built are very big and thick and that is normal. One of the strongest defence mechanisms that religion builds through indoctrination is fear. In Christianity it is the fear of a hell and God's anger and the separation from God... the "god-shaped hole".

My tip: Give yourself time. Do not force yourself. If you are afraid that God will strike you then try logic. Why do you think that in that moment? How realistic is that fear. How plausible is the threat of God striking you? etc

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
13-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Quote:It feels like God is going to strike me at any moment.

Every morning when you get out of bed, lift your arms to the sky, extend your middle fingers, and say "Come on motherfucker. Let's see you smite me!"

After a few years it will sink in that you are just talking to yourself and there is no one up there listening.

You will then be cured.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
13-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Quote:unless he's not as powerful as he claims

Things that don't exist don't make claims.
13-05-2016, 07:13 PM
(13-05-2016 02:52 PM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  So I was indoctranated as a child and still feel the guilt. I can do normal day activities just fine, but whenever religion comes up I have the feeling of shame because I don't believe it. It feels like God is going to strike me at any moment. Whenever I ask a Christian about the quotes I'm dealing with, they stick their fingers in their ears and say "La La La, I'm not listening." Should I really feel like the guilty one here?

Just remember that upon deconversion back to Atheism (we are all born atheist) it is a loss. How much that loss impacts you depends on how infected you were with faith. As a loss you will most likely experience some or all of the levels of grief:

Denial and Isolation: realizing your faith is swirling around the drain...you try to deny the obvious flags the logic side of your brain has been waving for awhile.

Anger: Realization it is all a lie....anger at friends, family, etc...how DARE they perpetuate this BS as if it was real.....it is like learning santa claus is made up....

Bargaining: Please god if you are real give me a sign.....

Depression: No sign....shit, this crap IS absolute BS.....now what do I do...my friends, my family, the community....what will they think if I tell them...

Acceptance: The realization that anyone who negatively judges you for your non belief is not worthy of your love, friendship or companionship if they can not accept you for who you are...F 'em....suddenly the world looks clearer, brighter, the possibilities endless....welcome to freedom.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
13-05-2016, 07:15 PM
(13-05-2016 07:09 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:It feels like God is going to strike me at any moment.

Every morning when you get out of bed, lift your arms to the sky, extend your middle fingers, and say "Come on motherfucker. Let's see you smite me!"

After a few years it will sink in that you are just talking to yourself and there is no one up there listening.

You will then be cured.

lol

I'll take on anything that doesn't exist. Fuck you, Tooth Fairy!
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post