How do I handle my religious wife and family?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2014, 08:43 AM
RE: How do I handle my religious wife and family?
If she is free to teach your child what she wants, why are you not free to teach your child as you want? My child, if I can ever have one, will know all religions and the concepts of logic, science and critical thinking. Have faith in your child.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 06:52 AM
RE: How do I handle my religious wife and family?
I am taking the long positive approach to comming out to my family. There is nothing positive that will come from an in your face confrontation in my situation. The only "anti" things I have done so far was to tell my wife I was no longer going to attend church unless it was for a wedding, funeral or other event that envolved a family member and told her that there is no devil. I am going to be as loving, careing, responsible, moral, ethical person as I can.
18-07-2014, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2014 06:51 AM by jmass1337.)
Big Grin RE: How do I handle my religious wife and family?
Thank you all very much for your advice. Her approach to reason has begun to show after a long midnight discussion we had. She was questioning me about my beliefs, and I explained to her that I could not accept the Bible with all of its scientific inaccuracies, contradictions, and bloodthirsty slaughters. I laid out a few of them for her and she seemed to understand. She still believes in God (the whole "something from nothing" mentality) but no longer reads her bible or attends church. Progress Smile

P.S. Her biggest issue with my newfound barbarism is that I am no longer held to a universal standard of morality. She believes that I am no longer an ethical person and can do whatever I want with reckless abandon. I tried to explain this just isnt the case and that if anything my morality has gotten stronger. She will not listen, and my enjoyment of a weekend Belgian import has convinced her that I am slipping into the fires of alcoholism. She will come around though.