How do I help a feral cat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 08:09 AM
RE: How do I help a feral cat?
(13-02-2016 08:08 AM)carol Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 08:06 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Can you adopt an attitude?

I have, and I do it quite oftenBig Grin

I adopted one with regard to grammar nazis just recently. Facepalm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
13-02-2016, 08:10 AM
Not being funny or judging you OB but from other posts of yours that I have come across its quite clear that you are not an animal lover, which is fine, some folks just aren't but is it possible that you might be just a tad prejudiced / sensitive? No disrespect to you, just saying...
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
13-02-2016, 08:10 AM
(13-02-2016 07:41 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You don't "adopt" a cat.

You get a cat. You buy a cat. You can even beg, borrow or steal a cat.

You adopt a child.

It's hugely insulting to use the same term - which is a clearly defined one - to refer to pets and livestock as the same as children.

PPPfffffffffftttttttt! Rolleyes

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
13-02-2016, 08:12 AM
(13-02-2016 08:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  

You adopt a child.

It's hugely insulting to use the same term - which is a clearly defined one - to refer to pets and livestock as the same as children.

PPPfffffffffftttttttt! Rolleyes

I love you, seriously
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
13-02-2016, 09:01 AM
How do I help a feral cat?
(12-02-2016 06:53 PM)carol Wrote:  Well that did not go well at all...we put out a trail of treats to the door, blocked the door draft with taped on garbage bags leaving a 7 inch cat flap for her to come into the house. The door was quiet and worked fine...We turned out the lights and set up some heaters-it is very very cold out, so even with all of this, the downstairs are freezing cold She came in very soon after, all went well, for a few seconds, and she started to eat...my daughter, instead of ignoring.... which we all had agreed to do wigged out and squealed, and when the poor thing dashed out, the door slammed across her when she bumped into it.... I tried again have been waiting for an hour, no cat now...we blew it. She was inside, eating very nicely....shit...what a fuck up. Hopefully she will come again, but with noise and the door blowing on her, I doubt it... I will still try the outdoor trap when it arrives, and place food away from the door , perhaps it may work but I think she should hate us...

goddamnit what a fuck up

She should come back. She was probably just startled. Her need for food and shelter will bring her back. You just need to persist...

Once she knows she's guaranteed a meal from you. She'll come back regularly.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
13-02-2016, 09:11 AM

You adopt a child.

Don't be ridicules, words having meaning, just because you disagree or dislike all of the meanings that apply doesn't change it in the least. You can adopt many things, not just children. I have legal adoption papers/contracts on all my dogs. They are witnessed and notarized from the city as legal responsibility for care. Which, by the way, is exactly what you get when you adopt a human animal.

If you are insulted, that's on you.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
13-02-2016, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2016 10:27 AM by carol.)

You adopt a child.

I thought about it and looked at different definitions. I don't agree that the word adopt is incorrect, it is very common to use it this way, and ( I am a geek) using the word adopt in reference to adopting animals is in several dictionaries too.

I realize that you dislike the word "adopt" in reference to pets, but the word "adopt "has quite a large amount of definitions...

Much more important to me is not the definition of a simple word. It is the idea behind your explanation. I do agree that human life is more valuable than this cat's life, and I do not equate children and animals. I think it is possible to value all life, and to value the life of this kitty does not in any way imply that I do not care much more for children than non-human animals. I can love cats and dogs, but that does not take away from loving my children much more, or other people's children much more, for that matter. Perhaps you have met people who are kinder to animals than other people. I would agree that is an awful way to live, and I would not want to live that way.

Why would my using the term "adopt" about a lost cat in any way imply that I care more about the cat than a child? Would you use the word "adopt" only in reference to children, and change the variety of definitions that it now holds?

Perhaps it is not the word that bothers you, it is the way that you have seen some people behave, by valuing children less than their pets. If that is what bothers you, I am in complete agreement.

Or, perhaps you would like to change the meaning of the word, or create a different word...
13-02-2016, 10:24 AM

You adopt a child.

That's the most stupid fucking thing I've read in a long time.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
13-02-2016, 10:33 AM
(13-02-2016 10:24 AM)Sam Wrote:  

You adopt a child.

That's the most stupid fucking thing I've read in a long time.

I have adopted a number of bad habits which in retrospect I'd be better off without. Tongue Biker's started hitting the sauce early today. (not that there's anything wrong with that. Blush )

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-02-2016, 10:47 AM
(13-02-2016 09:01 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 06:53 PM)carol Wrote:  Well that did not go well at all...we put out a trail of treats to the door, blocked the door draft with taped on garbage bags leaving a 7 inch cat flap for her to come into the house. The door was quiet and worked fine...We turned out the lights and set up some heaters-it is very very cold out, so even with all of this, the downstairs are freezing cold She came in very soon after, all went well, for a few seconds, and she started to eat...my daughter, instead of ignoring.... which we all had agreed to do wigged out and squealed, and when the poor thing dashed out, the door slammed across her when she bumped into it.... I tried again have been waiting for an hour, no cat now...we blew it. She was inside, eating very nicely....shit...what a fuck up. Hopefully she will come again, but with noise and the door blowing on her, I doubt it... I will still try the outdoor trap when it arrives, and place food away from the door , perhaps it may work but I think she should hate us...

goddamnit what a fuck up

She should come back. She was probably just startled. Her need for food and shelter will bring her back. You just need to persist...

Once she knows she's guaranteed a meal from you. She'll come back regularly.

Put food in the back of a big crate with a bunch of blankies. Your problem then becomes "How do I get her out of the crate?"

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post