How do I help a feral cat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 10:55 AM
RE: How do I help a feral cat?
Once she's been back a few times, and provided nothing bad happens, she'll probably start to feel safe there, and may begin to trust you more.

Whatever you do though, don't shut the door while she's inside... That will just cause her to panic. She may be more open to making friends if she feels she can get out if she has to.

Do you by any chance have an out building or a shed she could sleep in? A cardboard box, with a pillow wrapped in warm blankets would make an ideal shelter for her if she won't stay in the house.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
13-02-2016, 10:57 AM
(13-02-2016 10:47 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 09:01 AM)Sam Wrote:  She should come back. She was probably just startled. Her need for food and shelter will bring her back. You just need to persist...

Once she knows she's guaranteed a meal from you. She'll come back regularly.

Put food in the back of a big crate with a bunch of blankies. Your problem then becomes "How do I get her out of the crate?"

haha- I can imagine that getting her out will be harder than getting her in..Yes
Find all posts by this user
13-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Don't forget to keep unfrozen water out. They can frequently find food easier than water in cold weather.
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
13-02-2016, 10:58 AM
(13-02-2016 10:55 AM)Sam Wrote:  Once she's been back a few times, and provided nothing bad happens, she'll probably start to feel safe there, and may begin to trust you more.

Whatever you do though, don't shut the door while she's inside... That will just cause her to panic. She may be more open to making friends if she feels she can get out if she has to.

Do you by any chance have an out building or a shed she could sleep in? A cardboard box, with a pillow wrapped in warm blankets would make an ideal shelter for her if she won't stay in the house.

Yes, I have one with an open door and a cat sized comfy spot waiting , if she is willing.
13-02-2016, 10:59 AM
(13-02-2016 10:58 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Don't forget to keep unfrozen water out. They can frequently find food easier than water in cold weather.

Excellent point
13-02-2016, 11:00 AM
(13-02-2016 10:58 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Don't forget to keep unfrozen water out. They can frequently find food easier than water in cold weather.

That will be hard, things freeze solid so quickly...I may go to the feed store and see if they have something I can use to heat water -
13-02-2016, 11:03 AM
(13-02-2016 11:00 AM)carol Wrote:  

That will be hard, things freeze solid so quickly...I may go to the feed store and see if they have something I can use to heat water -

Small animal watering systems have heater options. You can get them that keep water AND food warm.
13-02-2016, 11:09 AM
(13-02-2016 11:03 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 11:00 AM)carol Wrote:  That will be hard, things freeze solid so quickly...I may go to the feed store and see if they have something I can use to heat water -

Small animal watering systems have heater options. You can get them that keep water AND food warm.

Will do, great idea! I tink that eventually my little bit of land will become the local kitty cafe...I am going to get one...
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
13-02-2016, 11:17 AM
(13-02-2016 11:00 AM)carol Wrote:  

You can use a fish tank air pump to keep the water from freezing, though the cold we're having now might defeat that.

There are heaters that will keep the water above freezing, but you can make your own by putting an incandescent bulb in a socket in a cookie tin and a metal bowl of water on top.

Pro tip: You have to power the bulb.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-02-2016, 11:18 AM
(13-02-2016 11:09 AM)carol Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 11:03 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Small animal watering systems have heater options. You can get them that keep water AND food warm.

Will do, great idea! I tink that eventually my little bit of land will become the local kitty cafe...I am going to get one...

We had a major flood in the little town I lived in back in '08. We were protected by a raised railroad track that acted as a levee. The cats that didn't get evac'd with their families came looking for help and my deck turned into a social center for strays. Any that were socialized I took to the Human Society with info on their point of collection. After the crisis was passed the ferals still came looking for food, so I continued to feed them. At one point I had a dozen cats feeding on the deck at one time. One of them is still with us, Missy Hissy, The Queen of the House.