How do I help a feral cat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 11:28 AM
(13-02-2016 10:58 AM)carol Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 10:55 AM)Sam Wrote:  Once she's been back a few times, and provided nothing bad happens, she'll probably start to feel safe there, and may begin to trust you more.

Whatever you do though, don't shut the door while she's inside... That will just cause her to panic. She may be more open to making friends if she feels she can get out if she has to.

Do you by any chance have an out building or a shed she could sleep in? A cardboard box, with a pillow wrapped in warm blankets would make an ideal shelter for her if she won't stay in the house.

Yes, I have one with an open door and a cat sized comfy spot waiting , if she is willing.

That would be perfect. Food will help her find it. Leave a bowl of food and some water there for her and she'll probably spend the night there.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
13-02-2016, 11:32 AM
(13-02-2016 11:00 AM)carol Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 10:58 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Don't forget to keep unfrozen water out. They can frequently find food easier than water in cold weather.

That will be hard, things freeze solid so quickly...I may go to the feed store and see if they have something I can use to heat water -

A baby bottle warmer perhaps?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
13-02-2016, 11:34 AM
RE: How do I help a feral cat?
Be careful Carol. You are walking the path of a crazy cat lady.

(^_^)
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
13-02-2016, 11:35 AM
(13-02-2016 10:58 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Don't forget to keep unfrozen water out. They can frequently find food easier than water in cold weather.

They can get adequate hydration by licking ice. .... I think.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
13-02-2016, 11:43 AM
(13-02-2016 11:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 11:00 AM)carol Wrote:  That will be hard, things freeze solid so quickly...I may go to the feed store and see if they have something I can use to heat water -

You can use a fish tank air pump to keep the water from freezing, though the cold we're having now might defeat that.

There are heaters that will keep the water above freezing, but you can make your own by putting an incandescent bulb in a socket in a cookie tin and a metal bowl of water on top.

Pro tip: You have to power the bulb.

Last night the kerosene line that heats my house just froze solid, I had to pay someone to flush it out this morning...I hauled in wood and burned it all night...got a tiny wood stove that needs checking hourly, it is getting wicked cold out.

I think that because I am a beginner, not a pro...I will buy one instead...I am handy with building things but I leave wiring to the pros. just leaving it plugged in all night will be a bit of work, I have a solidly frozen drift that is right next to the outdoor outlet.
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
13-02-2016, 11:46 AM
They do sell heated water dishes for animals. You may look at the feed stores, or feed sections of hardware stores to get a better price than at pet stores. Or online, of course.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-02-2016, 11:46 AM
(13-02-2016 11:35 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

They can get adequate hydration by licking ice. .... I think.

Unless it's really frigid, in which case their tongues stick to the ice. I've gone out in -18° F weather to break open watering trough for cows, and the barn cats were right there, waiting for the dishes of water I put up high for them. I kept one set of dishes in the trough, each on a chain, and pulled them out and dropped the frozen bowls back into the trough for the next round. 32° water still melts ice.
13-02-2016, 11:49 AM
(13-02-2016 11:43 AM)carol Wrote:  Last night the kerosene line that heats my house just froze solid, ...

Goddam. You and cjlr neighbors?

[Image: canada.gif]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-02-2016, 11:51 AM
(13-02-2016 11:34 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Be careful Carol. You are walking the path of a crazy cat lady.

(^_^)

Hahaha...yeah, I always jump in with both feet, it turns into a fabulous fuckery, and then after it all I breath a sigh, promise myself I will not jump in again...and then jump in.

but, hey, now I will be so great at rescuing cats...

and, really, it is just one cat that I am working towards...I do have limits

future kitties will need to be caught/fixed/released or adopted by other people.

I do value having a clean and comfortable home, and too many cats mean too much work for me...and too much stinky cat litter cleaning.

I am just fixated on this particular cat-the lucky little fluffy faced thing. I had no real idea what I was getting intoBig Grin
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
13-02-2016, 11:55 AM
(13-02-2016 11:49 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 11:43 AM)carol Wrote:  Last night the kerosene line that heats my house just froze solid, ...

Goddam. You and cjlr neighbors?

[Image: canada.gif]

Don't know cjlr

but...
Yeah, i recognize that video of the guy you just posted-lives down the street, always ragging about a wall or something....
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post