How do I help a feral cat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2016, 08:38 PM
RE: How do I help a feral cat?
(10-02-2016 07:36 PM)carol Wrote:  I would like to get her to become an inside cat, Is it possible?

A feral cat posing as an inside cat? They are just waiting for you to die so they can eat you.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-02-2016, 08:39 PM
My cat was feral. I just started putting some food and water out and he would come and eat it when I wasn't looking Tongue I also put a bed out for him on my covered porch with warm towels. Again, he would use it when I wasn't looking. Later on, he started trusting me and would show up at my door wanting food. Soon he let me pet him and I picked him up and put him in a cat carrier and took him to the vet. Luckily, he was fairly healthy despite being very skinny, scraggly, having an ulcer on his tongue, and a few bumps on him that the vet thought was from some asshole shooting him with a BB gun. The vet tested him for various feline diseases, and gave him various medications.

I agree with Chas--they take awhile to warm up to you sometimes. My cat didn't like being indoors in the beginning--but soon decided on his own that he didn't really want to go outside anymore. People call him fat and sassy now for a reason Big Grin He is the best cat ever--so sweet and loving. I think it's so great you want to help and keep this cat. She'll probably end up being the best pet ever. Heart
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
10-02-2016, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2016 08:48 PM by Smercury44.)
You've got some good advice here. Trap her and get her fixed if you can. Let the vet know it's a feral cat.

I highly advise against trying to bring her inside, or trying to domesticate. Like Chas said, you really have to get them as kittens to have a good shot at it. At a certain point, it's just not possible anymore. I know your pain though!! My little kitty was a feral. He wasn't quite still a kitten, but very young. Over the years we've gotten him used to us, but he absolutely cannot handle other people. He's still wild at heart.

Anj's suggestion of a shelter seems perfect. Make it so that the shelter is backed up against something large with an opening facing out. A few towels and a cat bed inside, maybe some food for encouragement. This will be inviting to get out of wind or inclement weather at least, while giving her the safe feeling of a tactical advantage. Somewhere she can be sure to see a potential predator approaching and run away quick if she needs to.

Eta: I do want to add, if it turns out the cat isn't completely feral, and warms up to you... Love that cat!!!! Big Grin Heart

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 5 users Like Smercury44's post
10-02-2016, 09:01 PM
This may help you and there are many more such blogs about feral cat domesticating. Trust will be the big issue.

https://www.vetinfo.com/domesticating-feral-cat.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Tame-a-Feral-Cat

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
10-02-2016, 09:09 PM
(10-02-2016 08:45 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  You've got some good advice here. Trap her and get her fixed if you can. Let the vet know it's a feral cat.

I highly advise against trying to bring her inside, or trying to domesticate. Like Chas said, you really have to get them as kittens to have a good shot at it. At a certain point, it's just not possible anymore. I know your pain though!! My little kitty was a feral. He wasn't quite still a kitten, but very young. Over the years we've gotten him used to us, but he absolutely cannot handle other people. He's still wild at heart.

Anj's suggestion of a shelter seems perfect. Make it so that the shelter is backed up against something large with an opening facing out. A few towels and a cat bed inside, maybe some food for encouragement. This will be inviting to get out of wind or inclement weather at least, while giving her the safe feeling of a tactical advantage. Somewhere she can be sure to see a potential predator approaching and run away quick if she needs to.

Eta: I do want to add, if it turns out the cat isn't completely feral, and warms up to you... Love that cat!!!! Big Grin Heart

She is full sized and seems grown up to me. I will follow the advise and trap her, get her fixed and vet checked and go from there. She could be feral, a barn cat that wandered away or even someone's pet who is lost. I can just try and see what happens.
[+] 3 users Like carol's post
10-02-2016, 09:20 PM
(10-02-2016 08:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 07:36 PM)carol Wrote:  I would like to get her to become an inside cat, Is it possible?

A feral cat posing as an inside cat? They are just waiting for you to die so they can eat you.

And, this is possible. She seems very confident of her hunting skills. I guess I will have to lock my room at night and hide the key...Gasp

I will trap her, get her treatment and fixed, and take it from there. If she is competely wild it may not be possible to tame her, if she is a stray she may be able to be tamed...so one step at a time. Now with everyone's help I have a plan of action. I had no idea how complex this would be!
10-02-2016, 09:27 PM
So, after consideration:

expensive? check
high chance of failure? check
foolish? check
chance of various scratches? check
time intensive? check
major adorableness? check
likely the adorableness will have no gratitude and at best ignore me and at worst eat me in my sleep? check

OK, sounds good, of course I will do itBig Grin

Thank you all for your help, I had no idea what I am getting into and now I have a better idea. I will post some pictures of her when I am able to, after I get this all figured out.
[+] 4 users Like carol's post
10-02-2016, 09:28 PM
(10-02-2016 09:01 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  This may help you and there are many more such blogs about feral cat domesticating. Trust will be the big issue.

https://www.vetinfo.com/domesticating-feral-cat.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Tame-a-Feral-Cat

These were seem helpful, and I appreciate that you sent them.
11-02-2016, 07:34 AM
SSS

(those that know are chuckling)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-02-2016, 08:12 AM
(11-02-2016 07:34 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  SSS

(those that know are chuckling)

Well hello, Missy Hissy. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user