How do I help a feral cat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2016, 08:44 AM
RE: How do I help a feral cat?
OK, I have the havaheart trap delivered Monday this week, cat sized. The vet is closed Monday and expects a call from me Tuesday, the first appointment is just for worming and shots and an examination, they will set up an appointment for getting spayed after they see her condition and examine her. Today I am going to buy her things-cat box, more food, bowls, ect. I have a cat carrier...

I wish I had anti-cat body armor that did not clash with my clothing...all of my anti-cat body armor is the wrong shade.Yes

I can assume she will be pissed off rather than grateful to meBig Grin
perhaps long thick gloves are in order.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
11-02-2016, 08:48 AM
A supply of plasma, too. Just sayin'.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
11-02-2016, 08:50 AM
Almost all cats I've had have been feral. Some worked out more than others. The two I've got now are fine, as both were taken in as kittens, hungry and full of worms, and adapted fairly quickly. I had one when I was a kid that was at the other end of the spectrum. He'd let me pet him, but nobody else. He'd come inside and wasn't spooked or anything, but he'd often disappear for weeks at a time, preferred to hunt mice rather than eat cat food, killed a racoon once and walked away with only a messed up ear, and was one of those cat's you'd definitely describe as "not good around very small children who don't know when not to touch."

Our dog also learned the hard way that not all kitties are equally fun to chase. He chased this one under a chair, then stuck his head under the chair. It was more or less like sticking his face in a blender for a few seconds and we had to bring him to the vet to get stitches on his nose. From then on he only bullied the housecats.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
11-02-2016, 08:59 AM
(11-02-2016 08:48 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  A supply of plasma, too. Just sayin'.

Yes, I asume she will be a tough, aggressive and evil bitch...I like her alreadyHeart
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
11-02-2016, 09:08 AM
(11-02-2016 08:50 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Almost all cats I've had have been feral. Some worked out more than others. The two I've got now are fine, as both were taken in as kittens, hungry and full of worms, and adapted fairly quickly. I had one when I was a kid that was at the other end of the spectrum. He'd let me pet him, but nobody else. He'd come inside and wasn't spooked or anything, but he'd often disappear for weeks at a time, preferred to hunt mice rather than eat cat food, killed a racoon once and walked away with only a messed up ear, and was one of those cat's you'd definitely describe as "not good around very small children who don't know when not to touch."

Our dog also learned the hard way that not all kitties are equally fun to chase. He chased this one under a chair, then stuck his head under the chair. It was more or less like sticking his face in a blender for a few seconds and we had to bring him to the vet to get stitches on his nose. From then on he only bullied the housecats.

Yes, I will not go to her and try to get cuddles- it would sound like this:

"Hi sweetie, you are so cute, come here for a cuddle....low growl.....oh, it is ok, come on.........large growl, hissssss, owowowowow....../scratched cornea/...........owowowow..........bitehissowowow"
[+] 3 users Like carol's post
11-02-2016, 09:16 AM
(11-02-2016 09:08 AM)carol Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 08:50 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Almost all cats I've had have been feral. Some worked out more than others. The two I've got now are fine, as both were taken in as kittens, hungry and full of worms, and adapted fairly quickly. I had one when I was a kid that was at the other end of the spectrum. He'd let me pet him, but nobody else. He'd come inside and wasn't spooked or anything, but he'd often disappear for weeks at a time, preferred to hunt mice rather than eat cat food, killed a racoon once and walked away with only a messed up ear, and was one of those cat's you'd definitely describe as "not good around very small children who don't know when not to touch."

Yes, I will not go to her and try to get cuddles- it would sound like this:

"Hi sweetie, you are so cute, come here for a cuddle....low growl.....oh, it is ok, come on.........large growl, hissssss, owowowowow....../scratched cornea/...........owowowow..........bitehissowowow"

All cats like cuddles. Some just don't know it yet and need some convincing Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
11-02-2016, 09:17 AM
I always go with the "pretend to ignore" method. Don't make eye contact, put out treats and as they approach put the treats a little closer each time. Speak softly but continually so they get to your soothing voice. Using cat treats is good or boiled chicken bits (no garlic). Pretend you're talking to yourself and let the cat approach you on their own terms.

Just be a harmless piece of furniture that has treats. Eventually they'll come rub on you. Put one finger out and when she rubs on it give a little scratch. You'll do fine. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 5 users Like Heatheness's post
11-02-2016, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2016 10:44 AM by Dom.)
(11-02-2016 08:44 AM)carol Wrote:  OK, I have the havaheart trap delivered Monday this week, cat sized. The vet is closed Monday and expects a call from me Tuesday, the first appointment is just for worming and shots and an examination, they will set up an appointment for getting spayed after they see her condition and examine her. Today I am going to buy her things-cat box, more food, bowls, ect. I have a cat carrier...

I wish I had anti-cat body armor that did not clash with my clothing...all of my anti-cat body armor is the wrong shade.Yes

I can assume she will be pissed off rather than grateful to meBig Grin
perhaps long thick gloves are in order.

I have done this dozens of times, and 3 times tamed and kept the cat afterwards as indoor cat.

Place the Havahart in a sheltered place. Cover with blanket except for entrance. Wire it OPEN. Place food at entrance. Slowly move food further in as she starts eating it. Wait until she has eaten several times way in the back of the trap. (The point of getting her used to it is that some freak out so bad when trapped they can scalp themselves. Once used to the trap, it won't be so bad)

Remove wires. Trap cat. Get it fixed. Just take the whole trap to the vet, moving her to a carrier can be dangerous.

Put cat bed and food/water in your bathroom (the smaller the room, the better. The cat wants to be in control of the environment, i.e. be able to see all of it.) Then just go in a few times a day and sit on the pot and do nothing.

If the cat acts wild or scared: You do NOT see the cat. The cat is totally invisible. You have a super attractive, smelly piece of food (like chicken liver) and put it down between your feet. Stay and wait as long as you want to, then leave and leave the food there. Repeat. And repeat. Eventually the cat will get the food while you still sit there. You still do nothing. Don't look at her, don't talk to her. Nothing, the cat initiates the contact.

Eventually she will sniff you and maybe rub up against your legs. Takes a week on average. Now you talk to her. Next time, sit with your hand dangling. Wait for her to be comfortable with that. Now you may very slowly move towards her face or the tip of her tail and brush up against it briefly. Do NOT try to touch the body yet.

From now on it will move fast and she will be your friend. Now you can start letting her into the rest of the house. keep strangers away from her for some time.

Ferals rehabilitated that way will be to you like a dog, they will still not accept others but may do so after repeated exposure to a specific person. They will attack people who seem to threaten you. They will be your best friend and you will have a unique relationship that is well worth the effort.

If you don't want to tame her, just let her out once she is healed. She should resume coming for food (but not in the trap).

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. My husband was aghast at all the ferals where we lived and over the decades we did this many, many times to reduce the population. He has since passed, I still feed his colony of fixed ferals, and it is now down to 4 old cats.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
11-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Best thing is to first try and gain her trust. Food and water will give her a reason to keep coming back... See if she'll approach with you standing there. If so, see if she'll come to you...

Feral cats will rarely come anywhere near you... A stray may be timid at first, but will eventually come and make friends when called (unless they've been mistreated by humans). If she comes and makes friends, then the rest is up to you. You could just let her into the house, and adopt her there and then if you like. If not, there are probably rescue shelters that will look after and try to home stray cats.

If you think she is feral, then you might have to contact the RSPCA, or whatever the equivalent is in your country.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
11-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Is it Jenny? Then you'll need a Jason Statham decoy and some vegan cheese.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post