How do I help a feral cat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2016, 11:15 AM
RE: How do I help a feral cat?
(11-02-2016 10:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 08:44 AM)carol Wrote:  OK, I have the havaheart trap delivered Monday this week, cat sized. The vet is closed Monday and expects a call from me Tuesday, the first appointment is just for worming and shots and an examination, they will set up an appointment for getting spayed after they see her condition and examine her. Today I am going to buy her things-cat box, more food, bowls, ect. I have a cat carrier...

I wish I had anti-cat body armor that did not clash with my clothing...all of my anti-cat body armor is the wrong shade.Yes

I can assume she will be pissed off rather than grateful to meBig Grin
perhaps long thick gloves are in order.

I have done this dozens of times, and 3 times tamed and kept the cat afterwards as indoor cat.

Place the Havahart in a sheltered place. Cover with blanket except for entrance. Wire it OPEN. Place food at entrance. Slowly move food further in as she starts eating it. Wait until she has eaten several times way in the back of the trap. (The point of getting her used to it is that some freak out so bad when trapped they can scalp themselves. Once used to the trap, it won't be so bad)

Remove wires. Trap cat. Get it fixed. Just take the whole trap to the vet, moving her to a carrier can be dangerous.

Put cat bed and food/water in your bathroom (the smaller the room, the better. The cat wants to be in control of the environment, i.e. be able to see all of it.) Then just go in a few times a day and sit on the pot and do nothing.

If the cat acts wild or scared: You do NOT see the cat. The cat is totally invisible. You have a super attractive, smelly piece of food (like chicken liver) and put it down between your feet. Stay and wait as long as you want to, then leave and leave the food there. Repeat. And repeat. Eventually the cat will get the food while you still sit there. You still do nothing. Don't look at her, don't talk to her. Nothing, the cat initiates the contact.

Eventually she will sniff you and maybe rub up against your legs. Takes a week on average. Now you talk to her. Next time, sit with your hand dangling. Wait for her to be comfortable with that. Now you may very slowly move towards her face or the tip of her tail and brush up against it briefly. Do NOT try to touch the body yet.

From now on it will move fast and she will be your friend. Now you can start letting her into the rest of the house. keep strangers away from her for some time.

Ferals rehabilitated that way will be to you like a dog, they will still not accept others but may do so after repeated exposure to a specific person. They will attack people who seem to threaten you. They will be your best friend and you will have a unique relationship that is well worth the effort.

If you don't want to tame her, just let her out once she is healed. She should resume coming for food (but not in the trap).

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. My husband was aghast at all the ferals where we lived and over the decades we did this many, many times to reduce the population. He has since passed, I still feed his colony of fixed ferals, and it is now down to 4 old cats.

Thank you for this, you gave me a lot of good information. I will PM you...if/when I trap her.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
11-02-2016, 11:58 AM
I want to thank eyeryone who is helping me with this-I am learning a lot and I think that I have a better idea what to do. It may be that I can do this Yes

I will let everyone know how it is going...and post a picture when I can take one of her too.
11-02-2016, 09:28 PM
came in to post the trap/spay neuter. LOL, way late to the party Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
12-02-2016, 10:34 AM
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read / heard somewhere that cats once feral cannot be rehabilitated back to domesticated moggies although I had partial success with one on my mum and dads farm when I was young, sadly it ran into the road and got hit by a car she was so badly hurt taking her to the vet would have been a cruel journey so out came the shotgun I'm afraid Sad
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
12-02-2016, 10:58 AM
(12-02-2016 10:34 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read / heard somewhere that cats once feral cannot be rehabilitated back to domesticated moggies although I had partial success with one on my mum and dads farm when I was young, sadly it ran into the road and got hit by a car she was so badly hurt taking her to the vet would have been a cruel journey so out came the shotgun I'm afraid Sad

I have had great success over the years domesticating ferals.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-02-2016, 11:22 AM
(12-02-2016 10:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 10:34 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read / heard somewhere that cats once feral cannot be rehabilitated back to domesticated moggies although I had partial success with one on my mum and dads farm when I was young, sadly it ran into the road and got hit by a car she was so badly hurt taking her to the vet would have been a cruel journey so out came the shotgun I'm afraid Sad

I have had great success over the years domesticating ferals.

We are going to have a cold snap soon, what can I do for her? The havaheart trap does not arrive till next week...also the food I am giving her feeezes solid, I am worried that she will just get colder... I have a garage, and will leave the door open for her in case she wants to get a little warmer there,

any suggestions to help her out during this cold spell?
12-02-2016, 11:29 AM
(12-02-2016 11:22 AM)carol Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 10:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have had great success over the years domesticating ferals.

We are going to have a cold snap soon, what can I do for her? The havaheart trap does not arrive till next week...also the food I am giving her feeezes solid, I am worried that she will just get colder... I have a garage, and will leave the door open for her in case she wants to get a little warmer there,

any suggestions to help her out during this cold spell?
Try sticking some cat nip in a pile of old blankets that could work
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
12-02-2016, 11:33 AM
http://www.alleycat.org/StrayOrFeral

There is a good chart if you scroll down a bit.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-02-2016, 11:54 AM
(12-02-2016 11:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.alleycat.org/StrayOrFeral

Great article! Thanks for posting it.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
12-02-2016, 11:59 AM
(12-02-2016 11:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.alleycat.org/StrayOrFeral

Ok, from the chart,she shows more stray traits than feral traits- although she has a few feral traits...

she does approach the door, she did make eye contact, ( long eye contact several times every evening when I feed her, she eats and then looks up at me throught the window, gives me a few long blinks and then eats some more... she is only a foot away every evening and looks up at me while she is scoffing down the food.)

She is very dirty, thin and not groomed, but seems to have a round belly ( pregnant? I hope not)
she is alone each time I see her, she seems very frightened.
she does crawl/crouch sometimes, and usually runs at every sound she hears, a few feet away, then crawls back to the door and the food.
She never comes out during the day though, she comes as soon as it is getting dark, stays several hours eating and watching the house and coming to the front door...she waits by the door and watches my face, but will not let me close , when I crack the door she runs to the edge of the walk. It seems as if she wants to be inside the house because she spends several hours just watching the door.
My guess is that she is a lost cat that once had a home and is very scared and skittish. if the list is correct. At this point she comes here every night and spends from 6 till about 1 am here waiting by the door. ( I set out food, but after she eats, she sits by the door and grooms herself a little and watches me through the glass window when I go to look at her.)
I pulled up a chair last night and just sat on one side, while she ate and watched me from the other side of the window in the door- she has very pretty yellow eyes, and a scratched nose that looks as if she has a few scabs on it. Her eyes look a little dirty too at the corners. She is rough looking, certainly and I think she is a little sick too. She limps slightly, favors her right front paw a little...poor thing...

I think she is getting used to me. the trap arrives next week...I wish it would get here before the cold spell arrives.