How do I help a feral cat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 12:35 PM
RE: How do I help a feral cat?
(12-02-2016 11:59 AM)carol Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 11:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.alleycat.org/StrayOrFeral

There is a good chart if you scroll down a bit.

Ok, from the chart,she shows more stray traits than feral traits- although she has a few feral traits...

she does approach the door, she did make eye contact, ( long eye contact several times every evening when I feed her, she eats and then looks up at me throught the window, gives me a few long blinks and then eats some more... she is only a foot away every evening and looks up at me while she is scoffing down the food.)

She is very dirty, thin and not groomed, but seems to have a round belly ( pregnant? I hope not)
she is alone each time I see her, she seems very frightened.
she does crawl/crouch sometimes, and usually runs at every sound she hears, a few feet away, then crawls back to the door and the food.
She never comes out during the day though, she comes as soon as it is getting dark, stays several hours eating and watching the house and coming to the front door...she waits by the door and watches my face, but will not let me close , when I crack the door she runs to the edge of the walk. It seems as if she wants to be inside the house because she spends several hours just watching the door.
My guess is that she is a lost cat that once had a home and is very scared and skittish. if the list is correct. At this point she comes here every night and spends from 6 till about 1 am here waiting by the door. ( I set out food, but after she eats, she sits by the door and grooms herself a little and watches me through the glass window when I go to look at her.)
I pulled up a chair last night and just sat on one side, while she ate and watched me from the other side of the window in the door- she has very pretty yellow eyes, and a scratched nose that looks as if she has a few scabs on it. Her eyes look a little dirty too at the corners. She is rough looking, certainly and I think she is a little sick too. She limps slightly, favors her right front paw a little...poor thing...

I think she is getting used to me. the trap arrives next week...I wish it would get here before the cold spell arrives.

Sounds like a scared stray. Try leaving your door open and sprinkling food from outside on in... let her get it and leave. Each day you can sprinkle it deeper into the house. She may move in over time. Especially if she's pregnant.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
12-02-2016, 12:56 PM
Yep, I'd say very likely a stray. I second Doms advice.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
12-02-2016, 01:21 PM
I managed to befriend a very scared stray once. The trick was to sit with my back to him... If I faced him and tried to make eye contact he took it as aggression. But just sitting with my back to him he eventually got curious and came closer, eventually cuddling up on my knee and purring happily.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
12-02-2016, 01:25 PM
No pictures yet? How can we make name suggestions without pictures?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
12-02-2016, 01:35 PM
(12-02-2016 11:22 AM)carol Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 10:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have had great success over the years domesticating ferals.

We are going to have a cold snap soon, what can I do for her? The havaheart trap does not arrive till next week...also the food I am giving her feeezes solid, I am worried that she will just get colder... I have a garage, and will leave the door open for her in case she wants to get a little warmer there,

any suggestions to help her out during this cold spell?

Get a plastic tub. Line it with aluminum foil and cut a small door in it. Fill the inside with clean, dry rags. Put some dry food in it to get her attention. If you want to go whole hog attach a heating pad to the inside top of the tub. DO NOT put it under the rags. Be sure it won't get wet, of course.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
12-02-2016, 01:41 PM
(12-02-2016 01:25 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  No pictures yet? How can we make name suggestions without pictures?

I will try to take some tonight, she only comes at night, after it gets dark out...
12-02-2016, 01:45 PM
(12-02-2016 01:21 PM)Sam Wrote:  I managed to befriend a very scared stray once. The trick was to sit with my back to him... If I faced him and tried to make eye contact he took it as aggression. But just sitting with my back to him he eventually got curious and came closer, eventually cuddling up on my knee and purring happily.

May be this is one of the problems, I thought she liked looking at my eyes because she spends a lot of time doing that but I will try to not look and see if she gets less scared. One big problem is that it is bitterly cold, so I am too cold to spend a lot of time outdoors with her.
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
12-02-2016, 01:48 PM
(12-02-2016 01:45 PM)carol Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 01:21 PM)Sam Wrote:  I managed to befriend a very scared stray once. The trick was to sit with my back to him... If I faced him and tried to make eye contact he took it as aggression. But just sitting with my back to him he eventually got curious and came closer, eventually cuddling up on my knee and purring happily.

May be this is one of the problems, I thought she liked looking at my eyes because she spends a lot of time doing that but I will try to not look and see if she gets less scared. One big problem is that it is bitterly cold, so I am too cold to spend a lot of time outdoors with her.

Well, leaving the door cracked and doing the trail of food thing will keep you a bit warmer, just sit someplace and wait inside quietly with your camera in hand. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a pic of her peeking in.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-02-2016, 01:49 PM
(12-02-2016 01:35 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 11:22 AM)carol Wrote:  We are going to have a cold snap soon, what can I do for her? The havaheart trap does not arrive till next week...also the food I am giving her feeezes solid, I am worried that she will just get colder... I have a garage, and will leave the door open for her in case she wants to get a little warmer there,

any suggestions to help her out during this cold spell?

Get a plastic tub. Line it with aluminum foil and cut a small door in it. Fill the inside with clean, dry rags. Put some dry food in it to get her attention. If you want to go whole hog attach a heating pad to the inside top of the tub. DO NOT put it under the rags. Be sure it won't get wet, of course.

I just made something like this, istead of plastic used a thick styrofoam cooler for her, will add rags tonight...already added the food...
12-02-2016, 01:50 PM
(12-02-2016 01:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 01:45 PM)carol Wrote:  May be this is one of the problems, I thought she liked looking at my eyes because she spends a lot of time doing that but I will try to not look and see if she gets less scared. One big problem is that it is bitterly cold, so I am too cold to spend a lot of time outdoors with her.

Well, leaving the door cracked and doing the trail of food thing will keep you a bit warmer, just sit someplace and wait inside quietly with your camera in hand. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a pic of her peeking in.

will do tonightHeart