How do I help a feral cat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 01:53 PM
RE: How do I help a feral cat?
(12-02-2016 01:45 PM)carol Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 01:21 PM)Sam Wrote:  I managed to befriend a very scared stray once. The trick was to sit with my back to him... If I faced him and tried to make eye contact he took it as aggression. But just sitting with my back to him he eventually got curious and came closer, eventually cuddling up on my knee and purring happily.

May be this is one of the problems, I thought she liked looking at my eyes because she spends a lot of time doing that but I will try to not look and see if she gets less scared. One big problem is that it is bitterly cold, so I am too cold to spend a lot of time outdoors with her.

The next time she looks at you like that, give her some slow blinks. It's like saying hello in cat.Big Grin

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
12-02-2016, 01:56 PM
(12-02-2016 01:50 PM)carol Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 01:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, leaving the door cracked and doing the trail of food thing will keep you a bit warmer, just sit someplace and wait inside quietly with your camera in hand. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a pic of her peeking in.

will do tonightHeart

I wish you success because it's already freakin' cold and it's going to get seriously freakin' cold tomorrow. Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-02-2016, 02:02 PM
(12-02-2016 01:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 01:50 PM)carol Wrote:  will do tonightHeart

I wish you success because it's already freakin' cold and it's going to get seriously freakin' cold tomorrow. Shocking

Yes, I am worried about her...it is getting colder
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
12-02-2016, 02:08 PM
(12-02-2016 01:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, leaving the door cracked and doing the trail of food thing will keep you a bit warmer, just sit someplace and wait inside quietly with your camera in hand. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a pic of her peeking in.

Two words: Laser pointer...

No feline can resist the EVIL RED DOTTM Big Grin

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 7 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
12-02-2016, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 07:04 PM by carol.)
Well that did not go well at all...we put out a trail of treats to the door, blocked the door draft with taped on garbage bags leaving a 7 inch cat flap for her to come into the house. The door was quiet and worked fine...We turned out the lights and set up some heaters-it is very very cold out, so even with all of this, the downstairs are freezing cold She came in very soon after, all went well, for a few seconds, and she started to eat...my daughter, instead of ignoring.... which we all had agreed to do wigged out and squealed, and when the poor thing dashed out, the door slammed across her when she bumped into it.... I tried again have been waiting for an hour, no cat now...we blew it. She was inside, eating very nicely....shit...what a fuck up. Hopefully she will come again, but with noise and the door blowing on her, I doubt it... I will still try the outdoor trap when it arrives, and place food away from the door , perhaps it may work but I think she should hate us...

goddamnit what a fuck up
12-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Kids (who weren't raised in the sticks Tongue) aren't very good at this kind of thing Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
12-02-2016, 08:01 PM
(12-02-2016 07:41 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Kids (who weren't raised in the sticks Tongue) aren't very good at this kind of thing Smile

Well, I left a can of food outside the door, in the hopes she may return tonight.There is a motion detector light outside...the light went on and I looked out...and saw a cat eating-the wrong cat!! A black and white one now!! I had no idea there was a different cat tooSmile There must be quite a few out there, and I had no idea...as well as other animals-so I will have to be careful and not catch a skunk insteadBig Grin
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
12-02-2016, 08:02 PM
I imagine she's under somebody's house right now, lying on a heating duct. She'll be fine.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
12-02-2016, 08:04 PM
(12-02-2016 08:02 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I imagine she's under somebody's house right now, lying on a heating duct. She'll be fine.

Thank you for that...it is going to be very cold this weekend so we are worried...But you made me feel better. Thank you. I will say that to my daughterBig Grin
12-02-2016, 08:18 PM
(12-02-2016 06:53 PM)carol Wrote:  Well that did not go well at all...we put out a trail of treats to the door, blocked the door draft with taped on garbage bags leaving a 7 inch cat flap for her to come into the house. The door was quiet and worked fine...We turned out the lights and set up some heaters-it is very very cold out, so even with all of this, the downstairs are freezing cold She came in very soon after, all went well, for a few seconds, and she started to eat...my daughter, instead of ignoring.... which we all had agreed to do wigged out and squealed, and when the poor thing dashed out, the door slammed across her when she bumped into it.... I tried again have been waiting for an hour, no cat now...we blew it. She was inside, eating very nicely....shit...what a fuck up. Hopefully she will come again, but with noise and the door blowing on her, I doubt it... I will still try the outdoor trap when it arrives, and place food away from the door , perhaps it may work but I think she should hate us...

goddamnit what a fuck up

Don't worry about it. She's hungry, she'll soon forget her fear because food is paramount. I don't know if you have straw bales but you can build her a small shelter with bales of straw. The wind chill is more dangerous than the cold. The wind pulls her heat away whereas just cold, if she has a space to huddle into, she can make her own warmth. If you can put some food out where she has shelter from the wind she'll be alright.

Her own body in a small space will keep her warm. We've done this many times for a variety of animals. Snug as a bug in a rug. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na638YUIWRA

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post