How do I help a feral cat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 08:23 PM
RE: How do I help a feral cat?
When a couple of my cats decided they preferred to live outside we took small animal carriers, removed the doors, and put them into large trash bags to keep the wind out of the slots in the crates. We then put old towels in them. We put them near the house and sometimes moved them a bit to help block out the wind...depending on wind direction. They weathered cold and rain in these shelters quite well. A small enclosure will help them keep warm with their own body heat. My cats were quite content. We don't get the snow like many other areas but we do get a lot of wind and in winter it can be quite bitter.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-02-2016, 08:36 PM
(12-02-2016 08:18 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 06:53 PM)carol Wrote:  Well that did not go well at all...we put out a trail of treats to the door, blocked the door draft with taped on garbage bags leaving a 7 inch cat flap for her to come into the house. The door was quiet and worked fine...We turned out the lights and set up some heaters-it is very very cold out, so even with all of this, the downstairs are freezing cold She came in very soon after, all went well, for a few seconds, and she started to eat...my daughter, instead of ignoring.... which we all had agreed to do wigged out and squealed, and when the poor thing dashed out, the door slammed across her when she bumped into it.... I tried again have been waiting for an hour, no cat now...we blew it. She was inside, eating very nicely....shit...what a fuck up. Hopefully she will come again, but with noise and the door blowing on her, I doubt it... I will still try the outdoor trap when it arrives, and place food away from the door , perhaps it may work but I think she should hate us...

goddamnit what a fuck up

Don't worry about it. She's hungry, she'll soon forget her fear because food is paramount. I don't know if you have straw bales but you can build her a small shelter with bales of straw. The wind chill is more dangerous than the cold. The wind pulls her heat away whereas just cold, if she has a space to huddle into, she can make her own warmth. If you can put some food out where she has shelter from the wind she'll be alright.

Her own body in a small space will keep her warm. We've done this many times for a variety of animals. Snug as a bug in a rug. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na638YUIWRA

Hi, tomorrow I will set one up, thanks...she will be fine. I have the garage door propped open for her so it will not slam shut, and set up a thermos made of styrofoam
with a 7 inch hole cut into it inside the garage- lined with towels.I will put food in there too tomorrow instead of outside the door. I can add straw around it to make it cozy tomorrow for her...I am still trying to get my head around the idea of the other cat...hahaha...I was silly to think there would only be one here. I bet that there are many of them living here- which is sad...
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
12-02-2016, 08:50 PM
(12-02-2016 08:36 PM)carol Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 08:18 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Don't worry about it. She's hungry, she'll soon forget her fear because food is paramount. I don't know if you have straw bales but you can build her a small shelter with bales of straw. The wind chill is more dangerous than the cold. The wind pulls her heat away whereas just cold, if she has a space to huddle into, she can make her own warmth. If you can put some food out where she has shelter from the wind she'll be alright.

Her own body in a small space will keep her warm. We've done this many times for a variety of animals. Snug as a bug in a rug. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na638YUIWRA

Hi, tomorrow I will set one up, thanks...she will be fine. I have the garage door propped open for her so it will not slam shut, and set up a thermos made of styrofoam
with a 7 inch hole cut into it inside the garage- lined with towels.I will put food in there too tomorrow instead of outside the door. I can add straw around it to make it cozy tomorrow for her...I am still trying to get my head around the idea of the other cat...hahaha...I was silly to think there would only be one here. I bet that there are many of them living here- which is sad...

One thing about letting feral cats be feral with catch/fix/release is that it makes a healthier feral population. When you have fixed cats they can stay healthy by not breeding females depleting their own health and less fighting with the males so less injuries. Also, it keeps the breeders from moving in so the population as a whole stays healthier, less injuries, less disease and helps maintain a sustainable group.

Some states will offer times of spay/neuter program at a reduced cost or free to help keep the populations down. My state has this twice a year (right now actually). And some have year around clinics that do that. We have that too. There are 3 of the clinics in our state. I have taken stray dogs and cats and got them fixed for $20 (a freaking steal) before finding them homes. It's 40 miles from me but worth it.

While you might make this little one a pet, you could also consider do a catch/fix/release for the others. Maybe trying to catch one or two a month. Just an idea.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
12-02-2016, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 09:32 PM by carol.)
(12-02-2016 08:50 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 08:36 PM)carol Wrote:  Hi, tomorrow I will set one up, thanks...she will be fine. I have the garage door propped open for her so it will not slam shut, and set up a thermos made of styrofoam

One thing about letting feral cats be feral with catch/fix/release is that it makes a healthier feral population. When you have fixed cats they can stay healthy by not breeding females depleting their own health and less fighting with the males so less injuries. Also, it keeps the breeders from moving in so the population as a whole stays healthier, less injuries, less disease and helps maintain a sustainable group.

Some states will offer times of spay/neuter program at a reduced cost or free to help keep the populations down. My state has this twice a year (right now actually). And some have year around clinics that do that. We have that too. There are 3 of the clinics in our state. I have taken stray dogs and cats and got them fixed for $20 (a freaking steal) before finding them homes. It's 40 miles from me but worth it.

While you might make this little one a pet, you could also consider do a catch/fix/release for the others. Maybe trying to catch one or two a month. Just an idea.

yes, a good idea. I think that I may have to do more than just save one cat...I think I may have to contact the local cat people for help though- I may need help-depending on how many cats show up...I will look for local clinics that offer the spay/neuter/release programs here I think there will be. Animal lovers are everywhere. I am glad that I bought the cat rescue havaheart trap, I will need it.

edit: Yes, there are a few programs righ here for inexpensive spay/neuter and rabies the release programs...so I will think on this...I am worried i may catch a neighbors cat though...I guess if the cat is friendly it has a home...if it is a spiltting hissing ball of fury it would be feral?
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
13-02-2016, 04:55 AM
Seven pages on a cold stray cat proof that atheists are moral caring humane people. Kudos to you Carol Bowing
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
13-02-2016, 05:09 AM
(13-02-2016 04:55 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Seven pages on a cold stray cat proof that atheists are moral caring humane people. Kudos to you Carol Bowing

Atheists like pussy too!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
13-02-2016, 05:13 AM
(13-02-2016 05:09 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 04:55 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Seven pages on a cold stray cat proof that atheists are moral caring humane people. Kudos to you Carol Bowing

Atheists like pussy too!
And some like ass (eyore eyore) Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
13-02-2016, 05:20 AM
(13-02-2016 05:13 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 05:09 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Atheists like pussy too!
And some like ass (eyore eyore) Tongue

Oh, donkey that Quixote.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2016, 05:38 AM
Hit it with a shovel. There is no way one can tame a feral cat and they are dangerous to local fauna. I used to hunt them and shoot them on sight.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-02-2016, 05:40 AM
(13-02-2016 05:38 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Hit it with a shovel. There is no way one can tame a feral cat and they are dangerous to local fauna. I used to hunt them and shoot them on sight.

Ohh I dunno mate, I had partial success with one on my parents farm as a kid and it used to keep the rats and mice in check.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post