How do I help a feral cat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 06:52 AM
RE: How do I help a feral cat?
(13-02-2016 06:28 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Feral cats in Australia.

I went online and read a bit about the problems of feral cats in Maine. I looked at a few government sites. I did not spend a long time at it, but from what I have gathered, the cats in Maine are not as big a problem. We have many wild large predators here that catch and eat cats-bobcats, wolves, coyotes, fishers..perhaps they keep the population down. Because you have a different problem with feral cats where you live, we just have different ideas about how to handle them.

The fisher who lives in my back acres kills small dogs., chickens and local cats. I am more worried about the cat being killed than her killing the local animals here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
13-02-2016, 06:54 AM
(13-02-2016 06:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 06:27 AM)carol Wrote:  I am sure that you have...and I will not hold it against you. But I have a different plan.

Nor should you.

Are you just arguing for the sake of argument now? How would this be helpful?
13-02-2016, 07:20 AM

Maine and Oz are very different ecosystems. A species that flourishes in one might not do well in the other.
There wasn't a predator equivalent to the cat in Oz until introduced.
The local fauna were not evolved to deal with it and that usually leads to disasters on various scales for the ecosystem.

Introducing alien species rarely, if ever, works out well.
And removing a native species is equally risky.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-02-2016, 07:27 AM
(13-02-2016 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Maine and Oz are very different ecosystems. A species that flourishes in one might not do well in the other.
There wasn't a predator equivalent to the cat in Oz until introduced.
The local fauna were not evolved to deal with it and that usually leads to disasters on various scales for the ecosystem.

Introducing alien species rarely, if ever, works out well.
And removing a native species is equally risky.

Well, that explains the different ideas we hold about feral cats, thanks Chas. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
13-02-2016, 07:28 AM
The only difference between a cat living in the woods of Maine and a boa constrictor living in the Florida Everglades besides location, is the cat is "cute and fuzzy".

It doesn't make it less of an invasive species.

You deal with such animals by permanently removing them.

And I don't mean relocating...... They just breed some more then come back with their offspring.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-02-2016, 07:35 AM
(13-02-2016 07:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The only difference between a cat living in the woods of Maine and a boa constrictor living in the Florida Everglades besides location, is the cat is "cute and fuzzy".

That's saved my life more than once. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
13-02-2016, 07:36 AM
(13-02-2016 07:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The only difference between a cat living in the woods of Maine and a boa constrictor living in the Florida Everglades besides location, is the cat is "cute and fuzzy".

And I don't mean relocating...... They just breed some more then come back with their offspring.

In that example, there is an important difference: there are already predators of the genus Felis (bobcat, lynx) as well as other similar predators like fishers and martens in Maine.

There was nothing at all like the boa constrictor in Florida so the fauna have no real defenses against it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-02-2016, 07:38 AM
True enough. Although, I gotta think that if a boa was swimming across the water - a gator might make lunch of it......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-02-2016, 07:39 AM
(13-02-2016 07:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The only difference between a cat living in the woods of Maine and a boa constrictor living in the everglades besides location, is the cat is "cute and fuzzy".

Yes, you are right, and I agree the cat population needs to be controlled. I was surprised to see a second cat last night.
The suggestions I have been given on this thread so far ( that are related to your post) are that:

1) This particular cat is most likely not feral, just a stray, so it is likely I can adopt her.
2) The other feral cats could be trapped and neutered/spayed to keep them from breeding so the population does not grow
3) There are spay/neuter programs that are very inexpensive that will help
4) The cats should not be left to breed because they are bad for the ecosystem
So, your point was noted, accepted and already discussed.

Plus we discussed a bazillion cat rescue techniques for this apparently non-feral stray cat.Wink
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
13-02-2016, 07:41 AM
You don't "adopt" a cat.

You get a cat. You buy a cat. You can even beg, borrow or steal a cat.

You adopt a child.

It's hugely insulting to use the same term - which is a clearly defined one - to refer to pets and livestock as the same as children.