How do I respond to this????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2013, 10:18 AM
How do I respond to this????
“Unmistakably, matter, mass/energy in this context, is the primary vehicle of information in the world. Whether it is information programmed by us, e.g., software, movies, books, or communicated by mysterious instruction manuals like DNA, or simply inbuilt, as with anything that follows the laws of nature, everything in the universe is controlled by coded information. But matter is purely a vehicle. How did it become a vehicle for codes and blueprints? We know it takes intelligence to decode the information transmitted by matter. But if decoding requires intelligence, how about the encoding? If information exists prior to matter, what is its source?”

[Roy Abraham Varghese, The Wonder of the World: A Journey from Modern Science to the Mind of God, pg.32]

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2013, 10:22 AM
RE: How do I respond to this????
(18-09-2013 10:18 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  “Unmistakably, matter, mass/energy in this context, is the primary vehicle of information in the world. Whether it is information programmed by us, e.g., software, movies, books, or communicated by mysterious instruction manuals like DNA, or simply inbuilt, as with anything that follows the laws of nature, everything in the universe is controlled by coded information. But matter is purely a vehicle. How did it become a vehicle for codes and blueprints? We know it takes intelligence to decode the information transmitted by matter. But if decoding requires intelligence, how about the encoding? If information exists prior to matter, what is its source?”

[Roy Abraham Varghese, The Wonder of the World: A Journey from Modern Science to the Mind of God, pg.32]

It does not require intelligence to "decode" the information in DNA.
What intelligence grows a baby from a fertilized cell?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2013, 10:26 AM
(18-09-2013 10:18 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  “Unmistakably, matter, mass/energy in this context, is the primary vehicle of information in the world. Whether it is information programmed by us, e.g., software, movies, books, or communicated by mysterious instruction manuals like DNA, or simply inbuilt, as with anything that follows the laws of nature, everything in the universe is controlled by coded information. But matter is purely a vehicle. How did it become a vehicle for codes and blueprints? We know it takes intelligence to decode the information transmitted by matter. But if decoding requires intelligence, how about the encoding? If information exists prior to matter, what is its source?”

It's really two questions as I see it a cosmological one and an evolution one...
Quote:But if decoding requires intelligence, how about the encoding?

It does not take intelligence if I randomly wrote bits to a jpg file on my hard drive for millions of years eventually I would get a lot of different pictures, some of which might look designed or intentional.

Here check this out: http://www.framsticks.com/

You can 'play god' on your desktop. All you need for increasingly complex lifeforms to develop is a medium (DNA), energy and selection (the environment)

Quote:If information exists prior to matter, what is its source?

There was no information before energy/matter, there was no time or space before the big bang and when the big bang happened it was cosmological equivalent of a blank slate that formed (a whole bunch of hydrogen atoms).

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Please say you're doing a youtube video on this... Blush

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
18-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Hmm... don't know how you might respond. Maybe, first read about this guy, Anthony Flew and check out from whom this Roy guy gets his info.

Toward the end of this wiki, it addresses this Roy Abraham Varghese person... and his interesting associates.

How to respond?
I would walk away from the gullible who thrive on such tripe. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-09-2013, 11:19 AM
There appears to be some confusion in terminology.
In particular the use of 'information' where the author probably means 'data'.

This might help. It's from the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)

The Data-to-Information-to-Knowledge-to-Wisdom (DIKW) structure.

Data is a set of discrete facts.

Information comes from providing context to data.

Knowledge is composed of the tacit experiences, ideas, insights, values and judgements of individuals. People gain knowledge both from their own and from their peers’ expertise, as well as from the analysis of information (and data). Through the synthesis of these elements, new knowledge is created.
Knowledge is dynamic and context-based. Knowledge puts information into an ‘ease of use’ form, which can facilitate decision-making.

Wisdom makes use of knowledge to create value through correct and well-informed decisions. Wisdom involves having the application and contextual awareness to provide strong common-sense judgement.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post