How do I say goodbye to religion for good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2017, 06:18 PM
RE: How do I say goodbye to religion for good?
(09-05-2017 06:13 PM)KUSA Wrote:  If you are an idiot then we all are.

You are not an idiot. Actually you are likely quite smart because you are using reason to question things.

You're correct. I'm using all of the reason in my head to sort out everything and I'm questioning everything that I was raised up with, and then deciding that I have free-will to do what I like within reason without letting religion get in the way as it had used to. I'm finally free from the life I once lived.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cantfixme's post
10-05-2017, 03:42 AM
How to say goodbye to religion?

Like this:
[Image: u1OLX9B.png]

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
10-05-2017, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2017 03:59 AM by Robvalue.)
I'm really sorry to hear of your pain, religion has scarred many people. It gets drilled deep into the brain and it doesn't give up the hold lightly.

I wouldn't worry about labels so much. You just need to figure out what's important to you, and there's no rush about it. I totally understand the need to keep things secret from the religious people around you until you're ready for them to react in any possible way. Some may be fine, some may reject you. That's the sad reality.

I've advised people before to challenge their residual religious beliefs head-on by literally yelling at "God". Tell him to fuck off. Tell him he's an evil shit if he's letting all this go on. Tell him he doesn't exist, and what's he going to do about it? It's not for everyone, but some people have found this kind of thing very therapeutic. Absolutely nothing will happen (that wasn't going to happen anyway, that's the mental trap of confirmation bias religion thrives on). My favourite someone told me they said after I suggested this was, "Fuck the Holy Spirit with a big black dildo!". It can help break these mental taboos.

This is a video I made a while ago to try and help people in your kind of situation.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
10-05-2017, 04:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2017 04:53 AM by Gwaithmir.)
(09-05-2017 11:54 AM)cantfixme Wrote:  My faith has been dying for months now and I've finally decided to let it die for good. It was on life-support and I tried my damn hardest to keep it alive to only make myself suffer as result. I need help here and I'm venting as well, and I may even suffer from "Religious Trauma Syndrome."

Honestly, I don't know what I even am now other than "religiously unaffiliated." I can't call myself an atheist because of the beliefs still lingering in my mind to no avail of freedom from them, can't call myself agnostic either because I still am unsure and don't know what I even stand for based on the beliefs still sticking around as I had already let my faith die, and my mind is still clinging to certain parts of my off-life support religious beliefs that I had decided were no longer apart of my life.

I think that I might be deist and I'm just hiding behind a username on the Internet because of judgement and convincing of others with such beliefs I once held deeply on this website. I'm too much a coward to come out and say that I don't share their beliefs (that aren't still clinging to me like moths to a dying flame) anymore, and my brother seems to have figured out that I've given up my religion because I was studying an atheist-written book and he saw me typing on here one day. He doesn't say a word and what I am going to miss is the sense of community, but I'm too confused and scared.

Am I alone here?
Am I a coward?

> It took me about a decade of comparative religious study, rational discussions with many theists, agnostics and atheists, and a lot of personal introspection before I finally realized I was an atheist. You're certainly not alone here and you don't strike me as a coward.

> "You have nothing to fear and everything to gain from an honest pursuit of the truth." (George H. Smith)
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
10-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Absolutely not a coward. It takes bravery to challenge beliefs. The cowardly thing is never to dare to consider that you might be wring about something.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
11-05-2017, 11:27 PM
(10-05-2017 03:53 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'm really sorry to hear of your pain, religion has scarred many people. It gets drilled deep into the brain and it doesn't give up the hold lightly.

I wouldn't worry about labels so much. You just need to figure out what's important to you, and there's no rush about it. I totally understand the need to keep things secret from the religious people around you until you're ready for them to react in any possible way. Some may be fine, some may reject you. That's the sad reality.

I've advised people before to challenge their residual religious beliefs head-on by literally yelling at "God". Tell him to fuck off. Tell him he's an evil shit if he's letting all this go on. Tell him he doesn't exist, and what's he going to do about it? It's not for everyone, but some people have found this kind of thing very therapeutic. Absolutely nothing will happen (that wasn't going to happen anyway, that's the mental trap of confirmation bias religion thrives on). My favourite someone told me they said after I suggested this was, "Fuck the Holy Spirit with a big black dildo!". It can help break these mental taboos.

This is a video I made a while ago to try and help people in your kind of situation.

I'd yelled at this deity a lot lately, before I read your post, actually. I found your video quite informing and useful in my rough situation and appreciate your post greatly as much as the other posts showing that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Thumbsup
11-05-2017, 11:31 PM
(10-05-2017 05:07 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Absolutely not a coward. It takes bravery to challenge beliefs. The cowardly thing is never to dare to consider that you might be wring about something.

I feel pretty good now and I had announced to two friends of my agnostic beliefs, and found out that I have an agnostic friend who had once witnessed me being unbearably religious a couple years ago. Really, I couldn't stand myself after learning of how insufferably religious I was. Well, past is in the past.

I can thank YouTube for helping me as well to learn how to question these set of beliefs.
11-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Problem now: I have a cross tattooed on my back. Now, how will I explain myself to people when\if they ask me, "Are you Christian?" It would be an embarrassing situation to explain why I have a cross on my back when I'm agnostic (at least for now, and I can see atheism in my future) now regretting this tattoo.
12-05-2017, 03:01 AM
(11-05-2017 11:33 PM)cantfixme Wrote:  Problem now: I have a cross tattooed on my back. Now, how will I explain myself to people when\if they ask me, "Are you Christian?" It would be an embarrassing situation to explain why I have a cross on my back when I'm agnostic (at least for now, and I can see atheism in my future) now regretting this tattoo.

To be fair that's not a huge issue. Depending on the size of it, you can either have it removed OR have it covered up with something else. Even then, I would dare say christian symbolism in our culture is just "a thing" so it doesn't necessarily mean you believe anything, it's just there.

Personally, I'd go for a cover job, as you can get something else easily, and most covers are much better than the original works.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!