How do I spend my time during the Christmas as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2010, 07:59 PM

How do I spend my time during the Christmas as an atheist?
Hello

Of course, I am an atheist.

How do I spend my time during the Christmas?

Is it just like cultural thing?

Well..I don't know.

How about you guys?
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2010, 08:16 PM
RE: How do I spend my time during the Christmas as an atheist?
Growing up in Western society, it has been instilled in me that this is a special time of year. The religious aspect has absolutely no meaning to me (of course), but I say "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year" to everyone I want to, because I want to convey the good wishes that most people understand at this time of year. I still enjoy looking at pretty decorations, the cheesy music, the silly movies, the cookies and candy and all the secular trappings that I have known all my life. I have no family other than my elderly parents and my husband. We have chosen to give to charities instead of buying meaningless gifts for many years now (i still send my folks a box of their favourite candies and update their National Geographic subscription), and then my husband and I usually leave the country on Christmas Eve and return after New Years. To me, Christmas is more of a cultural event than a religious one, (Christian or Pagan).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2010, 08:49 PM

(12-12-2010 08:16 PM)catdance62 Wrote:  To me, Christmas is more of a cultural event than a religious one, (Christian or Pagan).

Thanks for advice!!! Big Grin
12-12-2010, 09:40 PM
I love this time of year. I love fall especially, and then you have Halloween, then Thanksgiving (in the US) and then Xmas and New Years. I'm not even an Xmas person as I was raised Jewish and I just love this time of year. The lights, the festivities, the sales (got some great shirts at rock bottom prices yesterday and some new speakers for the HD TV last week). One of the things I really miss about working full time in New York was walking through the city in December when they had all the Xmas stuff up. I'll be up at the office a few days this week and will probably stay late one night to go out with colleagues and enjoy the city, maybe go see the tree at Rockefeller center.

Spend the time the way everyone else do: just enjoy the time of year and the overall mood. I know very few people who really focus on the religious aspects of this and, for those you encounter that do, feel free to tell them that this is actually a pagan holiday that the Christians basically stole. There is absolutely no historical justification or proof that JC would have been born in December.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I´m going to spend it with my family, like I do every year. When it comes to dealing with the religious aspects of Christmas, I have found myself capable of erecting a huge, impenetrable "religion firewall". I have no problem just blocking out the stuff I don´t like, because I´m enjoying the rest so much. ( kind of in the same way most Christians read the bible)
I decorate my apartment with Christmas lights, Christmas decorations and a Christmas tree with a star at the top and angels on the branches. Not because they have a specific meaning to me, but because they look nice and they help set me in my Christmas mood. If i need to reply to anyone who thinks I´m being a hypocrite I just tell them that "Christians stole Christmas from the pagans, I´m stealing it back". Tongue
Even though nobody in my family are very religious people I am the only outspoken atheist, so they still read from scripture during Christmas dinner. But my firewall can handle that much and more, so It´s no biggie. After that It´s all fun and gifts. My favorite time of the year, no question!

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
13-12-2010, 05:01 PM

I have been meaning to ask this question too, so thanks for posting it! I love Christmas and the general goodwill it brings, despite the fact that the nativity story is now just a story to me. I make singing Handel's Messiah with the community choir a yearly event, not for the message but because it's an absolutely genius piece of music with tremendous cultural value.
14-12-2010, 12:16 AM

(12-12-2010 07:59 PM)thishall Wrote:  Hello

Of course, I am an atheist.

How do I spend my time during the Christmas?

Is it just like cultural thing?

Well..I don't know.

How about you guys?

Because I no longer have ties to any kind of religion, I do not celebrate holidays, with only one exception-Halloween; this is partly because the dressing up is fun and partly to have a starting conversation point with christians who will celebrate Adonis's birthday, but not Samhaim, a.k.a. the devil's holiday.

However, my husband and I give our children "December gifts". This is not done one, seven, or eight days, but usually centers around pay days. Needless to say, my kids brag to others about the joys of having one atheist (me) parent and an agnostic (him) parent.
14-12-2010, 02:20 AM
Do what I do: Get lots of food and drink and make yourself ill with a surplus of gluttony.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
14-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Does one burn bonfires during the midsummer night to keep witches out? No, it's a tradition.
Does one give presents to his/her kids and tell them the presents are from an allegory of some saint that lives in Korvatunturi, or wherever your version lives, and the allegory has gnomes to help him spy if the kids are kind and if they're naughty they wont get presents, which are allegorys of the gifts of God, but the kids don't know that those are just allegorys? No, it's a tradition.

But whats allegorys are the gnomes?Huh

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
15-12-2010, 02:18 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2010 02:28 AM by No J..)
With family and exchanging of small presents.