How do I spend my time during the Christmas as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2010, 02:27 AM
RE: How do I spend my time during the Christmas as an atheist?
Enjoy Christmas! Heck I am an Atheist/Buddhist.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2010, 11:26 AM

I found the answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqjwPz17AL0
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2010, 04:54 AM
I'll try and go to a party.
Decadence is so sweet.
May the days get sunnier past the solstice.
Find all posts by this user
20-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Being a farmer, we celebrate the lengthening days with vigor. Our lives revolve around the sun and the seasons, so when the days get longer we start looking forward to the coming growing season. Winters are cold and harsh here, and even though the worst is still to come, the solstice is a turning point. It's a time when the applesauce and apple cider that we preserved in fall starts making it's way to the table more often, when venison is always on the menu, when there's always a pot of soup, stew, or chili bubbling on the stove. It's when all the family seems to gather around the oven, as if drawn to the smell of roasting turkey and ham. For my family, this time of year is about eating good food, staying close to home, and talking about last years harvest and next years planting. Everything in our home seems warm, especially when the wind is howling outside.

I LOVE this time of year!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
20-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I am going to just chill with friends and family. Everyone, even most christians, know that this isn't a true Christian holiday and it was stolen from Pagan tradition, but it is still an enjoyable, and somewhat commercial holiday.
20-12-2010, 02:44 PM
One of the most annoying things about winter is the darkness. When I go to school, it's dark. When I come from school, it's dark. The only time I get sunlight is when I move from the school building to the main building to eat, but I don't enjoy those 30 seconds 'cause it hurts my eyes like a bright light just when one has waken up. The winter solistice is enough reason to feast from 21.12 (13:14 GMT+2) 'till the end of the year and end the celebration with fireworks.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
20-12-2010, 06:29 PM

My family celebrates Christmas on January 7th instead. We usually prepare a big meal on the 6th and eat it at midnight. And on the 7th we spend the rest of the day together. I honestly stopped associating Christmas with religion a long time ago. I just enjoy the decorations, snow and cookies Tongue
20-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I think everyone posting before me summed it up pretty well. It seems to be the feelings of love and togetherness with family and friends, the holing up around the wood stove or kitchen gatherings by the range with bubbling goodies on top, and , like so many others have said, the tree decorated with ornaments that have been handed down thru our famalies for generations and all fhe other fresh decorations we collect from the woods yearly, Fl. holly, mistletoe, from the top of oak trees, and evergreen boughs with pine cones. Although I can live without the Walmart end of it all. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!! jmick
20-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Christmas this year has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. Perhaps because literally EVERYONE in my circle of friends is very devout. I just get tired of hearing about it after a while. I don't want to pray anymore, or hear about their fasting, or go to church with them, or hear the Christmas story for the 100th time knowing that it's not just a story to them.

Then there are all the lies: That Isaiah predicts the Messiah and that this is miraculous, that Jesus came to spread peace and love (bla bla bla), and that God is loving and forgiving.

I'm considering making a beer bottle nativity scene for the centerpiece when everyone comes for dinner just to be a smartass.
20-12-2010, 09:16 PM
(20-12-2010 08:08 PM)athnostic Wrote:  Christmas this year has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. Perhaps because literally EVERYONE in my circle of friends is very devout. I just get tired of hearing about it after a while. I don't want to pray anymore, or hear about their fasting, or go to church with them, or hear the Christmas story for the 100th time knowing that it's not just a story to them.

Then there are all the lies: That Isaiah predicts the Messiah and that this is miraculous, that Jesus came to spread peace and love (bla bla bla), and that God is loving and forgiving.

I'm considering making a beer bottle nativity scene for the centerpiece when everyone comes for dinner just to be a smartass.

My wife said to invite you to our place for christmas. It'll be a blast, and we won't even be saying grace at dinner. (We just ask everyone for a moment of silence to allow those who wish to pray to say a SILENT prayer)

So many cats, so few good recipes.