How do I spend my time during the Christmas as an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2010, 12:29 AM
RE: How do I spend my time during the Christmas as an atheist?
Now you guys are making me wish I was in Canada. Sad

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2010, 05:35 PM

(20-12-2010 09:16 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(20-12-2010 08:08 PM)athnostic Wrote:  Christmas this year has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. Perhaps because literally EVERYONE in my circle of friends is very devout. I just get tired of hearing about it after a while. I don't want to pray anymore, or hear about their fasting, or go to church with them, or hear the Christmas story for the 100th time knowing that it's not just a story to them.

Then there are all the lies: That Isaiah predicts the Messiah and that this is miraculous, that Jesus came to spread peace and love (bla bla bla), and that God is loving and forgiving.

I'm considering making a beer bottle nativity scene for the centerpiece when everyone comes for dinner just to be a smartass.

My wife said to invite you to our place for christmas. It'll be a blast, and we won't even be saying grace at dinner. (We just ask everyone for a moment of silence to allow those who wish to pray to say a SILENT prayer)

That would be awesome! The drive might be a bit long, but I'll gladly take a picture of the Nativity for you. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2010, 10:19 PM
(20-12-2010 01:31 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Everyone, even most christians, know that this isn't a true Christian holiday and it was stolen from Pagan tradition, but it is still an enjoyable, and somewhat commercial holiday.
You must not live in the southern part of the U.S. - where not many people would admit to such a thing. The best I heard out of a Christian around here was "yeah most experts say Jesus probably wasn't born in December... but I never really looked into why we do Christmas on the 25th." This was during a Bible class (I was there as a favor, so chose not to say anything.)

(20-12-2010 02:44 PM)Kikko Wrote:  One of the most annoying things about winter is the darkness. When I go to school, it's dark. When I come from school, it's dark. The only time I get sunlight is when I move from the school building to the main building to eat, but I don't enjoy those 30 seconds 'cause it hurts my eyes like a bright light just when one has waken up. The winter solistice is enough reason to feast from 21.12 (13:14 GMT+2) 'till the end of the year and end the celebration with fireworks.
I usually suffer from a bit of seasonal depression this time of year and it usually seems to be pretty directly tied to the short days and long periods of darkness. However, I have noticed that this year (which just happens to be my first Christmas as a fully self-acknowledged atheist) my depression is very, very light. Rationality really is a light in the darkness!

(20-12-2010 08:08 PM)athnostic Wrote:  Christmas this year has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. Perhaps because literally EVERYONE in my circle of friends is very devout. I just get tired of hearing about it after a while. I don't want to pray anymore, or hear about their fasting, or go to church with them, or hear the Christmas story for the 100th time knowing that it's not just a story to them.

Then there are all the lies: That Isaiah predicts the Messiah and that this is miraculous, that Jesus came to spread peace and love (bla bla bla), and that God is loving and forgiving.

I'm considering making a beer bottle nativity scene for the centerpiece when everyone comes for dinner just to be a smartass.
Ugh, the church signs and constant church activity bombardment will drive you nuts around here. My favorite part of the Isaiah "prophecy" that I never understand is the part that says "and they shall call his name 'Immanuel' which means 'God with us" - and then they name him Jesus. Uh, isn't his name supposed to be Immanuel?! And of course that doesn't even touch the fact that Isaiah is not talking about the Messiah, but whatever, those are just stupid details.

Let me know if you need beer bottles for your centerpiece, I have many.

Speaking of which, I'll be drinking this on Christmas Eve in honor of Santa's annual trip: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/285/776

As far as the original topic is concerned, I realized a long time ago (when I was probably 11 or 12, really) that Christmas is a time of year to enjoy your friends and family and to lighten up and be nice to everyone. All that religious stuff was there, but it was in the background because I didn't get much, or any, joy out of all that. I discovered later that there are beneficial reasons to try to have more fun in your life during this time of year (the aforementioned short days, seasonal depression, harsh winters, etc.) and to try to bring joy to others. Let them have their fables and miracle tall tales - laugh under your breath and let it slide off your back. Bring on the food, presents, and goodwill. Smile

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
22-12-2010, 03:54 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2010 04:00 AM by Kikko.)
Quote:I usually suffer from a bit of seasonal depression this time of year and it usually seems to be pretty directly tied to the short days and long periods of darkness.
Heard of Valkee? I think they're still testing it, but I've heard that the results have been positive.
http://www.valkee.com/en/

Yea, it might seem ridiculous first, but the brains really do use sunlight, and that thing effectively gives the same sort of light to the brains.

edit: It seems that the human-test results are not avaiable in English, but 9/10 of the test people with a serious period of darkness debression got symptonless in 4 weeks. BUT a study that notifies the possible placebo effect hasn't been done yet, but it's coming.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
22-12-2010, 08:45 AM
(22-12-2010 03:54 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:I usually suffer from a bit of seasonal depression this time of year and it usually seems to be pretty directly tied to the short days and long periods of darkness.
Heard of Valkee? I think they're still testing it, but I've heard that the results have been positive.
http://www.valkee.com/en/

Yea, it might seem ridiculous first, but the brains really do use sunlight, and that thing effectively gives the same sort of light to the brains.

edit: It seems that the human-test results are not avaiable in English, but 9/10 of the test people with a serious period of darkness debression got symptonless in 4 weeks. BUT a study that notifies the possible placebo effect hasn't been done yet, but it's coming.
I had heard of similar light therapy, but not this particular device. Mostly I've tried to make sure I go out for a few minutes daily when it is sunny out, and that also seems to have helped. Again, mine is generally very mild. I still might check this out though, thank you!

edit: actually, not sure I can get this in the U.S. but I'll keep my eyes out for it.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
22-12-2010, 09:17 AM
My wife suffers from severe depression, and the lack of sunlight tends to compound her depression. She uses a "daylight" to top off those seratonin levels, and it helps her alot.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Honestly just enjoy the food family and friends.

I must admit however that since becoming an Atheist I do get a slight twinge of disappointment when I hear another rendition of silent night or other such Jesus songs.

However what gets me even more is the idea of people saying "Happy Holidays" and realizing that's supposed to be directed as a kind gesture towards people like myself. I really don't care if you say Merry Christmas to me. I get the intent and that's enough for me to smile.

It's the attitude of people this time of year that makes it really enjoyable for me. I just wish it didn't have to come at the cost of people maxing out their credit cards (if you don't have the money don't buy it!).

Honestly this is one of the only times of the year where people are friendly no matter who you are or what you believe. If everyday was Christmas oddly enough religion would both become very important but at the same time cease to matter. Odd I know.
22-12-2010, 08:41 PM

(21-12-2010 10:19 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Ugh, the church signs and constant church activity bombardment will drive you nuts around here. My favorite part of the Isaiah "prophecy" that I never understand is the part that says "and they shall call his name 'Immanuel' which means 'God with us" - and then they name him Jesus. Uh, isn't his name supposed to be Immanuel?! And of course that doesn't even touch the fact that Isaiah is not talking about the Messiah, but whatever, those are just stupid details.

Let me know if you need beer bottles for your centerpiece, I have many.

This is my favorite argument for Jesus being the Messiah, thereby allowing him to morph into god and all that hoo-hah. Isaiah says it, and a lot of it came true, so Jesus must really be god! Amazing!
Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I wrote a blog the day after Christmas in response to a "friend" on Facebook that said atheists should work on Christmas since they don't believe in it. I was a bit put off by his attitude - hence my response:

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2010/12/...stmas.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user