Poll: What do YOU Call Fountain Drinks?
Pop
Soda
Coke
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How do YOU Pronounce it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2013, 12:22 PM
How do YOU Pronounce it?
I have lived in Michigan my whole life. I say "pop." That's just how it is and everyone I know knows what I'm talking about. A few years ago, my sister visited an uncle in Arizona. When she returned, she began calling fountain drinks (Pepsi, Coca cola...) as "soda." It irritates me. I don't know why exactly. Maybe it's because I'm proud of my local "cultural slang." I will not change it.

I'm just curious what you call it. Also, does your family or people where you live call common things by a certain name that others might wonder what you're talking about?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2013, 12:44 PM
RE: How do YOU Pronounce it?
I call it a coke or caramel colored sugary carbonated beverage. But only the former causes the wait person to say, "we only have Pepsi"

Generally I just try to call it a soda....I absolutely despise the term "pop"

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

17-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I like other ppls dialects. It makes communication fun and interesting, but most of all original.

I call them soft drinks. Not so much filled with things that kill... oh yeah! Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
17-02-2013, 01:53 PM
When I was a kid, we didn't have that stuff everywhere so, it was a treat if we got it. I used to call them by their brand names and Nezbits was the only kind I really wanted to drink when I was a kid.

At the same time, we also had these strange tablets which could be added to water which colored, flavored, and made it fizz; they were called Fizzies.

I don't drink any of that crap now but when I refer to them, I call them fizzy drinks. I guess that's not to be confused with Fizzies, which I don't think they even make anymore. If they're still around, I'm sure they taste much shittier than I remember.

So... collectively; fizzy drinks. I have a root beer now and then, maybe a ginger beer. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Soda. It's soda.

The Out Crowd.
17-02-2013, 02:09 PM
(17-02-2013 12:44 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Generally I just try to call it a soda....I absolutely despise the term "pop"
Why do you hate it so much??

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
17-02-2013, 02:15 PM
It seems that in New England, 'pop', 'soda', 'tonic', and 'soft drink' are all used, but we have people from all over.

Pop vs. Soda

Massachusetts

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-02-2013, 02:21 PM
(17-02-2013 02:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Massachusetts

Huh Ejaculate YUMMY NUMS ...?

You guys in the east sure grow up fast different. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
17-02-2013, 02:23 PM
It's soda.
17-02-2013, 06:21 PM
We say "soda" in general, but a lot of people will also use the word "coke" for every soft drink, even if it's not coke. I am from Texas, by the way. I never hear the world "pop" when it comes to a fountain drink. Sorry you're so annoyed LOL. Tongue The south will do that to you, I guess.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tunes without the words...and never stops at all." --Emily Dickinson