Poll: What do YOU Call Fountain Drinks?
Pop
Soda
Coke
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How do YOU Pronounce it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2013, 08:21 PM
RE: How do YOU Pronounce it?
In the U.S., carbonated water was known as soda water until WW-II, due to the sodium salts it contained. These were added as flavoring and acidity regulators with the intent of mimicking the taste of natural mineral water.

Soft drinks are called "soft" in contrast to "hard drinks" (alcoholic beverages). Fruit juice, tea, and other such non-alcoholic beverages are technically soft drinks by this definition but are not generally referred to as such.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2013, 08:30 PM
I second that. It's called soft drink because before it's introduction, carbonated beverages contained alcohol and thus, were hard.

And pop is what the guy does just before the scene is over.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
17-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I need to find more people on the "pop" side. We are losing the battle.

I just thought of this: I was working and this guy was staring at a bottle of POP and then looked up, made eye contact and exclaimed," Do I have to pay for the bottle?!" I looked at him funny (I'm sure) and he continued to stare. Then I put his accent in with the mix and asked, "You're not from around here, huh?" He replied that he wasn't (he had some southern accent). I told him that he does in fact need to pay 10ยข for the bottle. I steered him toward something that had no caffeine in it so he ended up happy.

I never heard that question. We just pay it and get our money back when we return all our bottles.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
17-02-2013, 09:16 PM
And I don't think pop is so "out there." People call it soda pop, so why can't we shorten it?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
17-02-2013, 09:19 PM
(17-02-2013 09:16 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  And I don't think pop is so "out there." People call it soda pop, so why can't we shorten it?

Yes to soda. Big Grin

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post