How do "You" feel when somebody says god bless you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2015, 05:58 PM
RE: How do "You" feel when somebody says god bless you?
(19-12-2014 06:07 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Actually i'm curious, sorry i posted this here because i feel like iv'e posted to much on the other forms plus this is more of a question.
How do you feel when a person sends you a email and you don't know them and they don't know you but they put inside of the message's ending "God bless you" Do you suddenly feel the need to say you don't believe? but thanks anyways. Maybe i'm just a jerk Evil_monster No i actually don't think i am, i just think that i feel kinda like somebody's assuming i'm christian.
What do you feel like when this happens?

I have no problems with it. It is their belief, and in such they are wishing me well. It is a kind gesture and although I don't share that belief, I can accept the intent.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
30-03-2015, 06:00 PM
I just chuckle, and think to myself -- "Wanna bet?"

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Rarely happens, except in very unusual circumstances. However, if and when someone does say "bless you" to me, I'm reminded of YouTuber Desertphile's perfect response: "I didn't sneeze."

Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come and save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris. Even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Stimbo's post
30-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Better than "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on".
Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-03-2015, 06:56 PM
People who know me don't say "God bless you" in emails to me. I very seldom read emails from people I don't know, but a "God bless you" usually comes at the end of an obvious scam email.

When people say it to my face I generally take it as them being polite, and it does not bother me. Panhandlers always say it, since I always give money to panhandlers unless I'm in my car and it would be unsafe to stop. I take it as a way of saying "Thank you," and I respond with something like "Take care" or "Be well" or some other polite but non-religious phrase.

It annoys me that we live in a society where the magic man in the sky is so ingrained in social intercourse, but I know people generally are trying to be friendly when they say it, and I take it as it was intended.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
31-03-2015, 05:46 AM
I don't mind that near as much as 'I'll pray for you' that is so disrespectful especially from people that know how you feel about religion.
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
31-03-2015, 06:02 AM
I will never flip out if I hear others say that to others in front of me, but please don't say it to me. I find it silly, superfluous and superstitious. No, I cant tell who is merely being polite, but no one can tell me that there are not deeply religious people who really think God cares about a sneeze. I will give you the benefit of the doubt the first time, but if you keep doing that, then it is rude, like offering a Jewish friend Pork.

If you want to show concern just say "Are you ok?"

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
31-03-2015, 06:13 AM
I don't think I have much of any reaction to it really and if it does hit my radar then I'll probably just smile and then forget all about it. But I'm in the UK so I don't hear it that often. I don't think we do god as much as in the States.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
31-03-2015, 06:28 AM
When I was an atheist, it didn't bother me, because I'd like to think it is coming from a good place. (most of the time) Now, as a Deist, I don't say it to anyone...part of me finds it trite and not genuine or something. Idk. Like 'God bless you' is supposed to do what...exactly? lol

Be true to yourself. Heart
31-03-2015, 07:12 AM
In regard to sneezing, before I became an atheist, I would always say bless you and frown when someone didn't. If they said gesundheit (German for health) or salute (Italian for good health) then that was cool, but if they said nothing? Well, then I was almost indignant. How dare they not care enough to bless my sneeze! Well, turns out, it truly is trivial:

The consensus is this sort of behavior started thousands of years ago, maybe even with the Romans, who were on record as saying, "Jupiter preserve you" or "Salve," which to this day still means "good health to you" in the formal Italian tongue. There have been other connotations of this behavior, including the Greeks, who would wish "long life."

"God bless you," according to Wikipedia, is attributed to Pope Gregory the Great, who uttered it in the sixth century during a bubonic plague epidemic (sneezing is an obvious symptom of one form of the plague). When someone says the German or Italian variations of "good health," it makes sense because a sneeze could mean you're coming down with a cold, so they're hoping you have good health and that the sneeze was an aberration.

According to Wiki: Virtually every country around the globe has its own way of wishing sneezers well. People in Arabic countries say, "Alhamdulillah," which means, "praise be to god." Hindus say, "Live!" or "Live well!" Some countries have special sneezing responses for children. In Russia, after children are given the traditional response, "bud zdorov" ("be healthy"), they are also told "rosti bolshoi" ("grow big"). When a child sneezes in China, he or she will hear "bai sui," which means, "may you live 100 years."

It goes on to say that ancient superstitions were also a part of the silly tradition. Some believed a sneeze causes the soul to escape through the nose, and that by saying "bless you" it would stop the devil from claiming the person's freed soul.

Others believed the opposite, that evil spirits use the sneeze as an opportunity to enter a person's body. When I was a kid, I was told (and I have no doubt my parents still believe this) the heart stopped or skipped a beat when you sneezed, so if you said bless you, it kind of asked god to spare you, or it was meant to welcome you back to life.

Science proved a sneeze is a reflex to something tickling or affecting the inner workings of your nasal passage, such as a cold, dust, sunlight, etc. I just don't say anything now, and not because I an atheist, it's just plain stupid.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me