How do "You" feel when somebody says god bless you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2015, 07:13 AM
RE: How do "You" feel when somebody says god bless you?
I have a friend who emphasizes the word god.
That annoys me.

Anyone else would normally say the phrase as if it was one word, if you know what I mean.

Godblessyou

I think because I've grown up with it that it doesn't really hold a religious significance. Its just something someone says when someone sneezes.

For many people I think gesundheit and god bless you have become the same.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
31-03-2015, 07:20 AM
I usually respond with "don't bless me" or something to the tune of the blessing better served for something worth while.
in relation to a sneeze, its just silly and i usually ignore it.
in relation to generosity is when i fire back. i am not in it for reward, especially in the form of a "blessing".
31-03-2015, 07:47 AM
(31-03-2015 07:13 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I have a friend who emphasizes the word god.
That annoys me.

My mother does that, too, and it, too, annoys me. GOD bless you. So I always say, "No thanks."

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2015, 08:02 AM
Re: How do "You" feel when somebody says god bless you?
Where I grew up, if you didn't say "bless you" after a sneeze, you were a horrible, selfish person- religious or not. It's considered good manners to acknowledge sneezes around here. Dodgy

"Bless your heart," on the other hand, irritates me. It's code for "Fuck off" or "I will pray for you."
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
31-03-2015, 08:13 AM
From the internet: ''When you sneeze, the intrathoracic pressure in your body momentarily increases. This will decrease the blood flow back to the heart. The heart compensates for this by changing its regular heart beat momentarily to adjust. However, the electrical activity of the heart does not stop during the sneeze.''

So, THAT is why people say 'God bless you' whenever you sneeze. They are concerned for your health. Tongue

Be true to yourself. Heart
31-03-2015, 08:14 AM
How do "You" feel when somebody says god bless you?
It's not something I've ever given much thought to. Now I've read this thread I think the next time someone says G-B-Y after I sneeze I will simply answer "Why?"

Using Tapatalk
31-03-2015, 08:29 AM
I don't care what people say but I might be convinced to consider what people do.
31-03-2015, 10:17 AM
(19-12-2014 06:07 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  i just think that i feel kinda like somebody's assuming i'm christian.

The fact that someone says "God bless you" doesn't mean he is assuming you are a Christian. Atheists need God's blessing as much as Christians do but they aren't likely to ask for it themselves.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
31-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Don't care. I assume they're trying to be nice or whatever.
31-03-2015, 10:29 AM
I usually acknowledge if someone sneezes, even if it's a total stranger. I see it as good manners but people can also choose not to, nothing wrong with that.

But then again, this expression has been around for some time, and I can't think of anything else you would say in English to someone who sneezes.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]