How do "You" feel when somebody says god bless you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2015, 12:28 PM
RE: How do "You" feel when somebody says god bless you?
It doesn't bother me. I take it as well wishes.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2015, 12:36 PM
The body essentially goes through the same thing when someone coughs, but no one is publicly asking a made-up deity to watch over the person with a real illness when they are hacking up a lung. It's a stupid superstition regardless of the phrase you choose to utter. I remain silent.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Personally, I say "ka-snoozer-bugs" when someone sneezes. People thinks it's funny and I'm all about being funny. People around here say "bless you" not so much "god bless you". They leave the god off. I'm not offended by it though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-04-2015, 10:17 AM
(31-03-2015 10:29 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  I usually acknowledge if someone sneezes, even if it's a total stranger. I see it as good manners but people can also choose not to, nothing wrong with that.

But then again, this expression has been around for some time, and I can't think of anything else you would say in English to someone who sneezes.

You can say "Gesundheit." It's a German word but I have heard English speaking people use it.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Meh, unless they get weird with it I usually just say thank you.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
[+] 1 user Likes Spooky's post
01-04-2015, 12:04 PM
I usually just say "Thank you". It's never really been a big deal where I grew up. Just an automatic, polite formality. Sometimes I even catch myself saying it, though usually just "Bless you".

What I would really like to do though when someone else sneezes is yell "Incoming!" and dive to the ground. Tongue

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
03-04-2015, 05:13 PM
In a previous job one of the guys working for me was having a hard time so I helped him out financially. Instead of thanking me, he said "oh this is the work of the lord"

I explained I was an atheist and I decided to help him because I have been in that situation in the past so i could relate to his troubles.

He still didn't show much appreciation for me, not that I wanted to... I was just annoyed with him. I nearly didn't help him off the back of that and still wonder if I did the right thing.

From that experience I learned that believers don't appreciate anything humans do for them... Its all gods doing. I equate that to them thinking if there was no god, I wouldnt have helped him.

So yeah. I hate anything like that.

Highly skilled doctor? No, it was god.

Awesome response and coordination from the police to deal with a crime? No, it was god.

Sorry its a little off the original subject. But it just brought back the bitterness to the surface lol.
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
03-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Back in my stupid militant days I would have asked them exactly how they thought they could wish some non-existent god's blessing upon me. But, that was being a stupid militant because it was stupid to be combative against nothing.

Now, I thank them and and respond with "And may god return the favor to you!" Hey, none of that crap matters so may as well pile it on and win some points.
03-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Actually, I have an idea. From now on when someone says bless you, I'm going to immediately sneeze in their face just to demonstrate that their blessing was ineffective.

'Murican Canadian
03-04-2015, 09:55 PM
How do I feel?

[Image: image.jpg?w=625&c=1]

A resounding meh.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post