How do atheists identify something as designed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2013, 01:25 AM
RE: How do atheists identify something as designed?
(19-11-2013 01:18 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:08 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Mental gymnastics show the mind is a muscle. Muscles are part of the body. Muscles mean you use them. God would create muscles for us. Therefore god created muscles. Therefore mental gymnastics are proof of god.

CHECKMATE ATHEIST.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that was a WLC syllogism. No

I've had too much wine tonight. Here I am accidentally making new arguments for theists. Ugh. I've done it again. WAIT.... (this could be a good thing)

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2013, 01:30 AM
(19-11-2013 01:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 12:55 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If Alan Guth is thinking about how to create a universe in a lab that is evidence enough for me to think it not so far fetched an idea....despite what the internet crackpot Taqiyya Mockenbird says.

Right, and Kent Hovind and Ken Ham are evidence enough that Creationism is not so far fetched an idea...

Thought experiments and mental gymnastics are a poor basis for evidence or determining plausibility.

Guth is a heavy hitter in the physics world. Comparing him to Hovind is like comparing Einstein to Mr Rogers.

That being aside. If you see multiple mainstream scientists perusing the idea of creating a universe in the lab, it is safe to say the idea is not farfetched.....and all I am saying is the idea is not farfetched as some other ignorant soul suggested.
19-11-2013, 01:31 AM
(19-11-2013 01:25 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:18 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  If I didn't know any better, I'd think that was a WLC syllogism. No

I've had too much wine tonight. Here I am accidentally making new arguments for theists. Ugh. I've done it again. WAIT.... (this could be a good thing)

Hope its red wine...that's better for you.
19-11-2013, 01:42 AM
(19-11-2013 01:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Guth is a heavy hitter in the physics world. Comparing him to Hovind is like comparing Einstein to Mr Rogers.

That being aside. If you see multiple mainstream scientists perusing the idea of creating a universe in the lab, it is safe to say the idea is not farfetched.....and all I am saying is the idea is not farfetched as some other ignorant soul suggested.

So? Hovind and Ham are heavy hitters in the evangelist world! Weeping

The idea can be entirely far fetched, and very much is in this case. That's not to say they shouldn't pursue it, but it does not however lend any weight to it's plausibility; that will be determined by the results of their work. Sometimes great things come from seemingly frivolous scientific pursuits, but sometimes they're still just frivolous. Undecided

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
19-11-2013, 01:51 AM
(19-11-2013 01:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The idea can be entirely far fetched, and very much is in this case. That's not to say they shouldn't pursue it, but it does not however lend any weight to it's plausibility; that will be determined by the results of their work. Sometimes great things come from seemingly frivolous scientific pursuits, but sometimes they're still just frivolous. Undecided

That's a pretty good tap dance. Mainstream science is farfetched but should still be pursued because....hey sometimes great things come from it.
19-11-2013, 01:59 AM
(19-11-2013 01:51 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The idea can be entirely far fetched, and very much is in this case. That's not to say they shouldn't pursue it, but it does not however lend any weight to it's plausibility; that will be determined by the results of their work. Sometimes great things come from seemingly frivolous scientific pursuits, but sometimes they're still just frivolous. Undecided

That's a pretty good tap dance. Mainstream science is farfetched but should still be pursued because....hey sometimes great things come from it.

Creating micro-universes is not mainstream. Tap-dance of one, for you... Dodgy

19-11-2013, 02:01 AM
(19-11-2013 01:59 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:51 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  That's a pretty good tap dance. Mainstream science is farfetched but should still be pursued because....hey sometimes great things come from it.

Creating micro-universes is not mainstream. Tap-dance of one, for you... Dodgy

More than one group of noted scientists is pursuing the idea....which is stronger evidence that it is not farfetched then you unsubstantiated claim that it is.
19-11-2013, 02:07 AM
(19-11-2013 02:01 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:59 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Creating micro-universes is not mainstream. Tap-dance of one, for you... Dodgy

More than one group of noted scientists is pursuing the idea....which is stronger evidence that it is not farfetched then you unsubstantiated claim that it is.

Yes, a handful of theoretical scientists think it might eventually be possible to create micro-universes. The very fact that a few think it might be possible has catapulted the idea out of being fringe and far-fetched and straight into the mainstream! Right, so when can I pick up a high school or college science book and start learning about how to create my own micro-universe? Dodgy

19-11-2013, 02:30 AM
(19-11-2013 02:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 02:01 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  More than one group of noted scientists is pursuing the idea....which is stronger evidence that it is not farfetched then you unsubstantiated claim that it is.

Yes, a handful of theoretical scientists think it might eventually be possible to create micro-universes. The very fact that a few think it might be possible has catapulted the idea out of being fringe and far-fetched and straight into the mainstream! Right, so when can I pick up a high school or college science book and start learning about how to create my own micro-universe? Dodgy

I'm sure if you looked you could find right now papers on the subject.
19-11-2013, 02:47 AM
(19-11-2013 02:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 02:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yes, a handful of theoretical scientists think it might eventually be possible to create micro-universes. The very fact that a few think it might be possible has catapulted the idea out of being fringe and far-fetched and straight into the mainstream! Right, so when can I pick up a high school or college science book and start learning about how to create my own micro-universe? Dodgy

I'm sure if you looked you could find right now papers on the subject.

Seeing as how I can't prove a negative, how about you Google them for me? Drinking Beverage