How do creationists explain antibiotic resistant "super bugs"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2015, 08:53 AM
RE: How do creationists explain antibiotic resistant "super bugs"
(02-06-2015 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Competition for resources.

Imagine for a minute that we were able to computer simulate bacteria. And we could speed up time in these simulations, like the rate of mutations etc... Are we even able to even imagine what sort of "niches" would be needed here for the bacteria to develop well beyond bacteria? To break off into lineages that would develop eyes, or feet, or even conscious creatures?

The answer is, no. We believe all this is a result of selection pressures, but what those selection pressures actually were, we are for the most part in the dark about. In reference to the bacteria it's much easier to imagine more and more resistant forms of bacteria developing, then ones breaking off into lineages that develop eyes, etc...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2015, 08:59 AM
(02-06-2015 08:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Imagine for a minute that we were able to computer simulate bacteria. And we could speed up time in these simulations, like the rate of mutations etc... Are we even able to even imagine what sort of "niches" would be needed here for the bacteria to develop well beyond bacteria? To break off into lineages that would develop eyes, or feet, or even conscious creatures?

The answer is, no. We believe all this is a result of selection pressures, but what those selection pressures actually were, we are for the most part in the dark about. In reference to the bacteria it's much easier to imagine more and more resistant forms of bacteria developing, then ones breaking off into lineages that develop eyes, etc...

Actually... more's to the point... The bacteria would have to actually form colonies of multiple bacterii (Plural?) and thence pass on that trait before they became an it for which the selection pressures of more complex things might take place.

*Which I believe the Bearded Dude's images actually portray.

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
02-06-2015, 08:59 AM
(02-06-2015 08:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Life finds a way

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
02-06-2015, 09:00 AM
I bow before your Knowledge TheBeardedDude, I still have much to learn about the processes of evolution. A question that started out simply on why creationists deny evolution, to which I received answers for, and that evolved into a furthering of my own knowledge and the realization that I don't know shit lol. I think i'll sign up for some online classes on evolution Smile

It saddens me on how little I know, because of my prior indoctrination that I broke free of a few months ago. I have a love of learning new things and I feel that years upon years have been wasted buying into fairy tales instead of learning how amazing everything is and how things work based on evidence.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
02-06-2015, 09:00 AM
(02-06-2015 08:53 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Competition for resources.

Imagine for a minute that we were able to computer simulate bacteria. And we could speed up time in these simulations, like the rate of mutations etc... Are we even able to even imagine what sort of "niches" would be needed here for the bacteria to develop well beyond bacteria? To break off into lineages that would develop eyes, or feet, or even conscious creatures?

This makes no sense whatsoever. You are just flat out denying the fossil record and the record in DNA when you say that we have no evidence to support single celled life giving rise to more complex life.

And you're on a new straw man now. Because competition for resources can result in selection within a species.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
02-06-2015, 09:03 AM
(02-06-2015 09:00 AM)Worom Wrote:  I bow before your Knowledge TheBeardedDude, I still have much to learn about the processes of evolution. A question that started out simply on why creationists deny evolution, to which I received answers for, and that evolved into a furthering of my own knowledge and the realization that I don't know shit lol. I think i'll sign up for some online classes on evolution Smile

It saddens me on how little I know, because of my prior indoctrination that I broke free of a few months ago. I have a love of learning new things and I feel that years upon years have been wasted buying into fairy tales instead of learning how amazing everything is and how things work based on evidence.

I don't know shit either compared to some people in my field. The important point is to not be afraid of your ignorance but to embrace it as a challenge.

-Rick
[+] 6 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
02-06-2015, 09:05 AM
(02-06-2015 08:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 08:36 AM)kim Wrote:  Gee Beardy, you know gobs of stuff. Blink

What stands out to me most in this disscussion is that life itself, effects it's environment. Those alterations in turn, may adversely effect or enhance the environment for another life form and further pressures effect further adaptations.

Flux. It is what it is.

I dig it. Shy

Life finds a way

Back in the day ... I studied pox virus (among others).
Life finds a way.
That is THE dynamic statement I came away with.

Scary as fuck and so affirming. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-06-2015, 09:06 AM
(02-06-2015 09:00 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And you're on a new straw Man now. Because competition for resources can result in selection with in a species.

But do you know what this particular "completion" was? So that we could try and recreate it for my hypothetical computer stimulation? So that my hypothetical computer stimulated bacteria can at some point branch off into other lineages that develop eyes?

The answer is no right?
02-06-2015, 09:07 AM
(02-06-2015 09:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 09:00 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And you're on a new straw Man now. Because competition for resources can result in selection with in a species.

But do you know what this particular "completion" was? So that we could try and recreate it for my hypothetical computer stimulation? So that my hypothetical computer stimulated bacteria can at some point branch off into other lineages that develop eyes?

The answer is no right?

Why do you want to compare it to a computer simulation? Why the hell does that matter?

We observe it. No need to simulate it.

-Rick
02-06-2015, 09:08 AM
And we know how things like eyes have evolved. The short answer is, several different ways because there are more than one type of eye in the animal kingdom.

Once again, similar selection pressures results in convergent evolution.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post