How do creationists explain black people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2011, 10:12 PM

RE: How do creationists explain black people?
(19-05-2011 11:09 AM)Celestus87 Wrote:  It was a humorous remark based on the absurdity of mythological hybrids.

Pidgeon + woman = angel. Tongue
Yeah, I knew that. *pulls collar, coughs, scuffs foot*

Tongue

WARNING: Due to overfeeding, pigeons can become aggressive!
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I hope some of you were able to wade past the religious stuff and read the Inheritance and Origin of People Groups sections from the link Theophilus posted. It goes into nice detail about genetics and the same Folate/Vitamin D stuff from the pbs link Indoril posted.

It seems significant to me that at least some right wing creationists really believe that racism is a bad thing.

A few years ago, based on studies of mitochondrial DNA, scientists were saying that Homo Sapiens derived from a very small group, perhaps from a single female. If so, the scientific explanation for race is very similar to the creationist explanation, except for the amount of time involved.

He was part of my dream, of course--but then I was part of his dream, too!
--Alice
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2011, 03:37 PM
(03-06-2011 10:47 PM)pilgrim Wrote:  I hope some of you were able to wade past the religious stuff and read the Inheritance and Origin of People Groups sections from the link Theophilus posted. It goes into nice detail about genetics and the same Folate/Vitamin D stuff from the pbs link Indoril posted.

It seems significant to me that at least some right wing creationists really believe that racism is a bad thing.

A few years ago, based on studies of mitochondrial DNA, scientists were saying that Homo Sapiens derived from a very small group, perhaps from a single female. If so, the scientific explanation for race is very similar to the creationist explanation, except for the amount of time involved.

Why did Adam and Eve have belly buttons ? (umbilici). Hmmm.....Cool

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
I'm an agnostic. We cannot know if there really is a teapot orbiting the sun.
17-07-2011, 06:55 PM
pilgrim Wrote:
I hope some of you were able to wade past the religious stuff and read the Inheritance and Origin of People Groups sections from the link Theophilus posted. It goes into nice detail about genetics and the same Folate/Vitamin D stuff from the pbs link Indoril posted.

Yes I did, and my only main complaint it how they call the theory of evolution inherently racist... It's science, so um, it can't actually be racist because what it does is takes facts and reports them.... doesn't really pick sides... that's where people come in. When I read that one line I rolled my eyes because it was definitely in there as a jab. Overall though that one page seemed rather well written.

I think that most fundamental Christians barely spend any time thinking about race, outside of maybe not liking one or another, if they don't. I would hazard a guess that the amount of time most fundies spend thinking of where black people came from or why jesus is always white in pictures, equates to the amount of time I spend thinking about why clocks are round.
The whole idea behind religion is that you don't have to think, it's done for you. Throughout the bible are references to knowledge being evil, so why think, you'll go to hell. Not saying they never do, I'm just saying most of them probably don't spend any time wondering about race.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2011, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2011 10:03 PM by otaku_cj.)
Ok, well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IguW9xHd2qo here, this will explain everything and nothing, at the very least, you'll get a nice laugh out of it. Apparently some people think that we're totally different species.

I can see these kids will work in fast food their entire lives. Except for the kid at the very end, he'll... not quite sure, let's see if we can't come up with a good place for him to work. And this "teacher" should not be allowed to teach anywhere.

*edit, Oh, lol, seems it's in the other thread. Still, I thought it should go in this thread too. To point out that some people seem to think that white people came first.

"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
~Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
18-07-2011, 08:15 AM
(03-06-2011 10:47 PM)pilgrim Wrote:  I hope some of you were able to wade past the religious stuff and read the Inheritance and Origin of People Groups sections from the link Theophilus posted. It goes into nice detail about genetics and the same Folate/Vitamin D stuff from the pbs link Indoril posted.

The point IS, the EXPLANATIONS are NOT similar. The premise, (that we had one ancestral woman in common) may be similar, but the conclusion is FAR from similar. The scientific theory has some evidence, the creationist myth has none. (And BTW, scientists never said that Homo sapiens "derived" from "a single" female. All they say is that it appears so far, that they had "Mitochondrial Eve" as a common ancestor. The possibility that SHE may, (and most likely did), have other CONCURRENT Homo sapien family members around her, and they ALL "derived" from others has never been discounted, and the proposition that she was a unique mutational development has never been made, that I am aware of. )

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
I'm an agnostic. We cannot know if there really is a teapot orbiting the sun.
25-07-2011, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2011 03:36 PM by angry_liberal.)
(03-06-2011 10:47 PM)pilgrim Wrote:  A few years ago, based on studies of mitochondrial DNA, scientists were saying that Homo Sapiens derived from a very small group, perhaps from a single female. If so, the scientific explanation for race is very similar to the creationist explanation, except for the amount of time involved.

This is actually not deep science rather just arithmetic. What is new and interesting science is that we can say something about this woman from her DNA. We can say when she lived, possibly where she lived and how the mitochondrial line split subsequently.

It also differs from Creationism in several ways. Firstly you can do the same for men using the Y-chromosome. Biologically men are often either genetic failures or disproportionately successful. Hence "Adam" lived considerably more recently than "Eve" and might have been a descendent of hers (though don't bet on it).
Secondly these people were not lonely. The species must have been a reasonable size and they lived in groups of a size that they felt comfortable with. What happened to those people is their mitochondria (from females) or Y-chromosomes (from males) simply failed to hit the genetic jackpot. Some of those people's DNA will still be present on other parts of a our DNA. Some of them will have living descendents but simply their DNA will have randomly failed to survive (being diluted by 2 at each generation). Others might have left no trace but who knows - might have made significant advances in flint - knapping technology or fire technology. Big Grin

Anyway I think this is all covered in the Ancestor's Tale and certainly elsewhere in the literature and on the net.

Also in principle it could have turned out that "Eve" was also a common ancestor of chimpanzees. It just didn't. However we do share our ABO blood group structure with chimpanzees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user