How do our christians here regard apostates?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 02:23 PM
How do our christians here regard apostates?
We have occassional stories of people leaving their religion and a particularly heartfelt account earlier today.

I was wondering whether reading these tales of indoctrination at an early age and then escape later in life if any christian members here relate to any of it? Do you ignore these people? What would you do if your child, who you had brought up strictly christian eventually rejected your god?

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 04:03 PM
RE: How do our christians here regard apostates?
(08-12-2014 02:23 PM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  We have occassional stories of people leaving their religion and a particularly heartfelt account earlier today.

I was wondering whether reading these tales of indoctrination at an early age and then escape later in life if any christian members here relate to any of it? Do you ignore these people? What would you do if your child, who you had brought up strictly christian eventually rejected your god?

I think most of the Christians went home for a while. They'll regroup Knights who say NI! and come back in a while, after all it's near the Winter Solstice....er....Christmas.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-12-2014, 04:12 PM
(08-12-2014 04:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think most of the Christians went home for a while. They'll regroup Knights who say NI! and come back in a while, after all it's near the Winter Solstice....er....Christmas.

They're all tired from the buying all that stuff on sale so they can bitch about materialism being bad.
08-12-2014, 04:34 PM
(08-12-2014 02:23 PM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  We have occassional stories of people leaving their religion and a particularly heartfelt account earlier today.

Where is the story from earlier today?

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
08-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Re: RE: How do our christians here regard apostates?
(08-12-2014 04:34 PM)microterf Wrote:  Where is the story from earlier today?

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...?tid=29476

Using Tapatalk
10-12-2014, 07:10 AM
(08-12-2014 02:23 PM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  I was wondering whether reading these tales of indoctrination at an early age and then escape later in life if any christian members here relate to any of it? Do you ignore these people?

I'm not Christian anymore, but the best word I could use to describe how I felt about apostasy is "disappointment". It was sort of a "you had it, and then you lost it" sort of thing.

Do note that back in that period of my life, I was a lot more judgmental of people than I am now. Not just on religious things, either. I was pretty set in my thinking of "I'm doing things the right way and YOU CAN TOO!". Luckily, I got better.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-12-2014, 07:12 AM
(10-12-2014 07:10 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Luckily, I got better.

Turned you into a Newt did she?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
10-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Re: RE: How do our christians here regard apostates?
(10-12-2014 07:10 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I was wondering whether reading these tales of indoctrination at an early age and then escape later in life if any christian members here relate to any of it? Do you ignore these people?

I'm not Christian anymore, but the best word I could use to describe how I felt about apostasy is "disappointment". It was sort of a "you had it, and then you lost it" sort of thing.

Do note that back in that period of my life, I was a lot more judgmental of people than I am now. Not just on religious things, either. I was pretty set in my thinking of "I'm doing things the right way and YOU CAN TOO!". Luckily, I got better.

It's hard to imagine for me but that seems like a good description. I can understand how it might seriously disrupt a relationship between 2 believers when one of them breaks free.

Coming from a background of never having sampled religion I find the stories of de-converting fascinating. I can't think of a greater shift in an individuals whole meaning of existence.

I'm a bit disappointed that not one theist has replied. I can only think that this subject is something seldom talked about and they pretend it doesn't really happen?

Using Tapatalk
10-12-2014, 08:09 AM
(10-12-2014 07:34 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  Coming from a background of never having sampled religion I find the stories of de-converting fascinating. I can't think of a greater shift in an individuals whole meaning of existence.

I agree. It was a huge shift for me, and not one I took lightly. It took about two years, from start to finish.

(10-12-2014 07:34 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  I'm a bit disappointed that not one theist has replied. I can only think that this subject is something seldom talked about and they pretend it doesn't really happen?

I think there are only about two or three Christians actively posting on the boards right now.
10-12-2014, 09:01 AM
(08-12-2014 02:23 PM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  I was wondering whether reading these tales of indoctrination at an early age and then escape later in life if any christian members here relate to any of it? Do you ignore these people?

I find myself sympathetic for the most part. I have a close friend who recently lost his belief in God, and I love him no less than I did when he did believe. All his friends, his church, and everything has been remarkably supportive. They've talked to him at length, and at this point we accept that it's something he's just going to have to figure out on his own.

I'm also one of his only friends, that has been through a few years of unbelief, so I can at least understand his questions, and doubts, even though I may not be able to provide him satisfying answers.

I also find then when talking to him, when attempting to approach the circumstances, and seemingly underlying aspects that led to his loss of God, when encroaching on the personal aspects of his disbelief, the discussion becomes uncomfortable for him, not because we don't have a relationship in which we could talk about these things, but that he is uncomfortable reflecting and dealing with it himself. He can't seem to confront the underlying issues of his life, the sort of ones I had to confront before resolving my unbelief.

Quote:What would you do if your child, who you had brought up strictly christian eventually rejected your god?

In my head, I thought it would be interesting, or even nice to have a child who became an atheists. I've always liked the idea of an intimate interplay between belief and unbelief, the sort that is non-existent in popular debates, or in forum cultures, but the sort that only has a possibly to exist between close friends, or family, and even more so between a loving father and a son. So we'll probably have some long talks.