Poll: Do you agree?
Yes. Yes
No. No
[Show Results]

How do people make people feel bad by words?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 12:44 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
Smile How do people make people feel bad by words?
Before I start, I would like to say that this question is basic about psychology and not targeted at any particular person.

Recently, I was called names in English. But due to the fact that English isn't my first language, which means that the thinking process is not as fast as in my mother tongue, I have the time to recognized several sub-sections of the thinking process.

(1) I was called names.
(2) I looked up those names in my built-in-brain English-Chinese dictionary.
(3) I found that these names were linked to memories not so comforting (MNSC).
(4) MNSC were generally induced by empathy. Here's an example: one friend of mine pointing at one of the words, his tone being low and angry, what he said were word linked to MNSC in Chinese, which in turn made me feel angry also. Empathy here mainly functions like a computer program language line: "If see the word XX ... Then (should) be angry and show signs of anger"

The funny thing is when it was in a second language and things went slower, that I had the much obvious opportunity to chose whether to excite this SHOULD thing. My reaction was "why do I want to feel bad? Do not proceed. End it here." So I wasn't as angry as I SHOULD be. And I find it really funny and interesting.

So, how do people make people feel bad by words? They use BAD WORDS which imply that you SHOULD feel bad.

If you are able and skilled at judging whether to execute this SHOULD process by ration instead of passion, then you are an advanced programmer of your own mind and feel less agitated in complicated situations (which probably means more mature).

What do you think?

Smile

A psychology term related to this is called "cognitive behavioral therapy". Maybe it can help people recover from religions.

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
10-04-2013, 08:19 AM
RE: How do people make people feel bad by words?
Consider

Not sure I have any opinion on the OP but it struck me that you could try an experiment....

Why not (selectively) throw some insults at us in your language? Then we can share the experience.

Big Grin

10-04-2013, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 08:27 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
(10-04-2013 08:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

Not sure I have any opinion on the OP but it struck me that you could try an experiment....

Why not (selectively) throw some insults at us in your language? Then we can share the experience.

Big Grin

You, a lover of 薄面皮卷蒜泥白肉 ! You should get a lot of that ! Evil_monster

How about that? Consider

10-04-2013, 09:08 AM
(10-04-2013 08:13 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Before I start, I would like to say that this question is basic about psychology and not targeted at any particular person.

Recently, I was called by names in English. But due to the fact that English isn't my first language, which means that the thinking process is not as fast as in my mother tongue, I have the time to recognized several sub-sections of the thinking process.

(1) I was called by names.
(2) I looked up those names in my built-in-brain English-Chinese dictionary.
(3) I found that these names were linked to memories not so comforting (MNSC).
(4) MNSC were generally induced by empathy. Here's an example: one friend of mine pointing at one of the words, his tone being low and angry, what he said were word linked to MNSC in Chinese, which in turn made me feel angry also. Empathy here mainly functions like a computer program language line: "If see the word XX ... Then (should) be angry and show signs of anger"

The funny thing is when it was in a second language and things went slower, that I had the much obvious opportunity to chose whether to excite this SHOULD thing. My reaction was "why do I want to feel bad? Do not proceed. End it here." So I wasn't as angry as I SHOULD be. And I find it really funny and interesting.

So, how do people make people feel bad by words? They use BAD WORDS which imply that you SHOULD feel bad.

If you are able and skill at judging whether to execute this SHOULD process by ration instead of passion, then you are an advanced programmer of your own mind and feel less agitated in complicated situations (which probably means more mature).

What do you think?

Smile

A psychology term related to this is called "cognitive behavioral therapy". Maybe it can help people recover from religions.

MNSC - Mouse Neural Stem Cells?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2013, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 09:12 AM by Dom.)
We are extremely limited by our mother tongue. Every language has words that others do not really have, the translation is void of the connotations the word has in the other language. Hence, it cannot be truly translated.

Connotations are sometimes cultural, and sometimes personal. They actually have enormous influence on how you react to the words you hear/read.

For instance the words father, pop, dad, etc. will evoke a different feeling in everyone, depending on what their relationship with their father was like. Now, hear it in another language, like papa. Even though you know it means father, it has no connotations.

Connotations are driving us a lot more than you think. They influence our world view, our interactions with people, and , yes, even our learning hugely.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-04-2013, 10:33 AM
(10-04-2013 08:24 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 08:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

Big Grin

You, a lover of 薄面皮卷蒜泥白肉 ! You should get a lot of that ! Evil_monster

How about that? Consider

The volume Suannibairou of thin dough?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
10-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Awesome! What a great skill! To be able to take the opinion, unsolicited advice or actions of another and choose how to react instead of 'just' reacting. To take the time to know whether to accept it or not. To control your own emotions. Emotions are not the result but instead the interpretation of a situation. They are there to signal you on how to act, but in the end it's still your choice. knowing what you've figured out can give a sense of control and help you to be more rational.

Do you punch someone out for calling you a name, or walk away? One is an emotional reaction and the other is a thought process. Sometimes it IS the punch, and sometimes it IS the walk away, but the emotions are a tool, not a conclusion.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
10-04-2013, 11:06 AM
(10-04-2013 10:33 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 08:24 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  You, a lover of 薄面皮卷蒜泥白肉 ! You should get a lot of that ! Evil_monster

How about that? Consider

The volume Suannibairou of thin dough?

Sliced meat with garlic sauce in thin pancake rolls.

Really delicious !

Smile

See, it slowed down the thinking process and made it not that intense.

10-04-2013, 11:13 AM
薄面皮卷蒜泥白肉 ... Consider I'm getting: Thin cheek volume crushed garlic white meat.

I ... I don't know if I should be effected or not. Unsure

Sounds like something yummy... I'm gonna say it makes me happy. Thumbsup

Unfortunately, I forgot what we were talking about. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-04-2013, 11:33 AM
(10-04-2013 11:13 AM)kim Wrote:  薄面皮卷蒜泥白肉 ... Consider I'm getting: Thin cheek volume crushed garlic white meat.

I ... I don't know if I should be effected or not. Unsure

Sounds like something yummy... I'm gonna say it makes me happy. Thumbsup

Unfortunately, I forgot what we were talking about. Blink

I should congratulate myself !

DLJ, I did it !

[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post