How do the religious believe ??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2011, 08:43 PM
How do the religious believe ??
I make no apologies when I say I cannot understand how intelligent human beings believe in a supernatural Dad in the sky. I'll give in when they say you can't possibly know there isn't a God. True. But the only rationale they have for believing there is such a thing is that many many years ago somebody made up a story about this being.

I understand why people thousands of years ago made up their Christian God, Muslim God, or Greek God. How else were they to explain the unexplainable? Weather was magical, death was scary, the sun was all powerful. The crops died we must have made somebody mad. Epileptic seizure certainly means an evil creature has possessed the victim. It is completely understandable for ignorant people to believe this. But science has explained almost everything religion was created to explain.

Ancient books . . . freakin' stories written by people that thought the earth was flat and their village was all there was to the world . That’s the only reason modern educated humans believe in God(s).

Done ranting
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like free2011's post
28-10-2011, 08:51 PM
RE: How do the religious believe ??
(28-10-2011 08:43 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I make no apologies when I say I cannot understand how intelligent human beings believe in a supernatural Dad in the sky. I'll give in when they say you can't possibly know there isn't a God. True. But the only rationale they have for believing there is such a thing is that many many years ago somebody made up a story about this being.

I understand why people thousands of years ago made up their Christian God, Muslim God, or Greek God. How else were they to explain the unexplainable? Weather was magical, death was scary, the sun was all powerful. The crops died we must have made somebody mad. Epileptic seizure certainly means an evil creature has possessed the victim. It is completely understandable for ignorant people to believe this. But science has explained almost everything religion was created to explain.

Ancient books . . . freakin' stories written by people that thought the earth was flat and their village was all there was to the world . That’s the only reason modern educated humans believe in God(s).

Done ranting

I get that attitude all the time, the whole 'you can't completely 100% disprove it so it's rational to believe in it' crap! The other day I actually had my sister try and tell me that it's rational to consider the possibility that dinosaurs could breath fire because as it's only the bones that fossilise and we don't have the organs it's totally logical to consider the possibility that they had a fire-breathing organ that we don't know about. I tried to tell her that she was talking bullshit and that it was a safe assumption that dinosaurs didn't breath fire and she turned round and went "when you assume you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'".

I just wanted to bang her head against a wall to see if the stupid fell out.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
29-10-2011, 06:13 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2011 06:53 AM by free2011.)
(28-10-2011 08:51 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I get that attitude all the time, the whole 'you can't completely 100% disprove it so it's rational to believe in it' crap! The other day I actually had my sister try and tell me that it's rational to consider the possibility that dinosaurs could breath fire because as it's only the bones that fossilise and we don't have the organs it's totally logical to consider the possibility that they had a fire-breathing organ that we don't know about. I tried to tell her that she was talking bullshit and that it was a safe assumption that dinosaurs didn't breath fire and she turned round and went "when you assume you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'".

I just wanted to bang her head against a wall to see if the stupid fell out.

Shit religion's foundation is built on assumptions. Take only a small amount from Christianity
- Assume God created the Universe
- Assume God created Earth
- Assume God created Adam and Eve
- Assume that God cares if you believe in him
- Assume God impregnated a girl named Mary
- Assume Mary's child was the son of God
- Assume that God then cares if you also believe in his son, Jesus
- Assume if you do believe in Jesus all your prayers will come true and you will live an eternity of bliss
- Assume if you don't believe in him you will burn in hell

Who's the ass again ?
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
29-10-2011, 09:21 AM
It's more of a human desire, in which the gathering of people who have the same common beliefs, whether they are sensible or not, brings comfort, security and pleasure. Birds of the same feather flock together. We naturally feel comfortable with people who believe the same things as us, and reject, either blatantly or subliminally, views opposing to that of ours. The phenomenon seen in religion is an amplified version of this effect. Play on the psychology of the masses, and you get a large number of believers.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
29-10-2011, 05:04 PM
I think it's willful just ignorance that makes them believe and keep on believing.

My first exposure to the willful ignorance of the faithful, came about in my first few weeks of college and as an innocent freshman, I was so floored, I didn't know how to respond.

It came about during a simple discussion with my 1st college roommate, where I somehow mentioned something about funding a leper colony in Hawaii. She practically exploded on me, emphatically stating, "there is no such thing as a leper, that's a biblical disease!" She then proceeded to inform me that I was stupid to think that there was a whole colony of lepers anywhere today, because "that disease has been extinct from biblical times."
I shit you not.
Ever since then, I've come across little evidence to think anything other than... they're all just slightly to the functioning side of, 'fucking stupid'.
Rolleyes
Sorry to rant here... but I couldn't find the "fundys say the darnedest things" thread.
Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein